Return to Website

Itazuke Alumni Association Forum

This is the place to leave ideas, suggestions, comments, and anything else you would like to discuss with your fellow Cobras! Please visit often!

Itazuke Alumni Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I was at Itazuke from 1964 to 1970

I am 48 years old and live in South Carolina. I am so appreciative of this site. The posted pictures brought chills down my spine when I first saw them. Some of the fondest memories of my life are those of my time at Itazuke. We lived at 1425, A-3, on the annex. I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who was there during that time. I well remember everything from the pine wood derbies, to the slot cars track, to the Christmas display inside the Greenwave during the season. I was taught how to snipe hunt at Hakata beach while in the cub scouts I remember Crimson and Clover always being the last song played at the dances that were attended after the bus ride back from a day of ice skating off post. I remember the tour of Billie T. Chandler's Hakata dolls in the converted BOQ, as well as the march down the hill away from the terrible fire that destroyed a whole section of the school. I remember it being really neat if you found a clay pigeon that was intact while rummaging through the cattails below the skeet range. I remember the grass fire that took off after two friends stole some gasoline from a lunch break abandoned lawnmower and set in ablaze after poring it into the small creek that ran through the middle of the base. The memories go on and on. If any of this sounds familiar, please e-mail me. I'd love to hear from any of you.

My older sister by four years, Teresa, is on the list of unfound classmates. The list shows her possible exit in 1968. We both left Itazuke on June 30, 1970. Sadly, I don't know of her whereabouts, since she's had no contact with me for over 25 years.

Looking forward to contacts,
Bryan

Re: I was at Itazuke from 1964 to 1970

OMG, I was researching Hakata Dolls when I found this site. Were you in my class in the Itazuke Elementary School with Billie T. Chandler as our language arts teacher. I was there in 1968, fifth grade and I too remember Itazuke like it was yesterday.
Only classmate name I can remember was Jeff Kaspar.

Hi Bryan.
My name is Mototaka Nakanoko.(type is a male). I'm Japanese Hakata Doll maker in ******* city.
I'm looking some Hakata dolls as my grandmother's made.
Of course, my grandmother was one of Hakata doll maker.

I heard from my mother and father, "In the age of grandmother, Ms. Chandler came to our home. And she enthusiastically looked at and collect some grand mother's Hakata dolls."

I born in 1970. I'm 43 years old.
I met Ms. Chandler in 1970. Of course, I was young, there is no she in my memory.
But there are some photography with her and me(very very young baby).

Please teach me if you know some things of Ms. Chandler's history or something.

Thanks!

Bryan Busch
I am 48 years old and live in South Carolina. I am so appreciative of this site. The posted pictures brought chills down my spine when I first saw them. Some of the fondest memories of my life are those of my time at Itazuke. We lived at 1425, A-3, on the annex. I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who was there during that time. I well remember everything from the pine wood derbies, to the slot cars track, to the Christmas display inside the Greenwave during the season. I was taught how to snipe hunt at Hakata beach while in the cub scouts I remember Crimson and Clover always being the last song played at the dances that were attended after the bus ride back from a day of ice skating off post. I remember the tour of Billie T. Chandler's Hakata dolls in the converted BOQ, as well as the march down the hill away from the terrible fire that destroyed a whole section of the school. I remember it being really neat if you found a clay pigeon that was intact while rummaging through the cattails below the skeet range. I remember the grass fire that took off after two friends stole some gasoline from a lunch break abandoned lawnmower and set in ablaze after poring it into the small creek that ran through the middle of the base. The memories go on and on. If any of this sounds familiar, please e-mail me. I'd love to hear from any of you.

My older sister by four years, Teresa, is on the list of unfound classmates. The list shows her possible exit in 1968. We both left Itazuke on June 30, 1970. Sadly, I don't know of her whereabouts, since she's had no contact with me for over 25 years.

Looking forward to contacts,
Bryan

Hello Mr. Nakanoko:

I was born in Japan and I lived at Itazuke Air Force Base Annex as a child from about the age of 5 to 12. My father, Ted Gardner, was an elementary school teacher on the base annex. He passed away in January of 1972, which is when we left Japan.

I remember Mrs. Billie Chandler; she and my father taught at the school at the same time. Mrs. Chandler was from Texas; her ranch was next to President Johnson's ranch. I found this television clip from 1975 that features Mrs. Chandler; https://texasarchive.org/2015_00328 . I think it is very informative about her after she left Japan.