Librarian and Staff Online Workshop

Welcome to the Online Workshop Discussion Forum.

Arts and Crafts for the Youth Librarian-Indiana
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Welcome to the Class

Hi Jonnie,

We are here to help. It will be interesting to see what you take away from the class.

Puppets are a story time staple. There are inexpensive to make and easy to put together. If you look at the class lecture for this week you will see how to make a paper bag puppet.

If you want to get a bit more complicated you can make a marionette from recycled materials.

One thing I like to do is to organize ahead of time. I make projects into small kits so all is prepared and it makes things go smoother.

I would suggest trying to put together a portfolio of some of your favorite ideas so when the time comes you will have a go to file.

You sound like you have a good sense of humor about the whole thing so I know you will do fine ;-)

Glad to have you in the class.

Hi Chrissy,
I understand your problem with scheduling crats. I have often planned big crafts and I have had sign up sheets because of the cost for the materials is so much that I can only have a limited amount of kids and after all that work and stress no one would show up and sometimes it would happen that I had a simple little craft and no sign up sheet and tons of people would show up. This is a problem that I keep trying to figure out but I don't think that there is any solution.

Hi Chrissy,

You are just the person that should be here. You sound like you need an emergency craft intervention ;-) There are many with lots of great ideas in this class and many simple and popular ideas presented. We are here to help.

Take a look at our classroom gallery to look at projects shared by your fellow classmates from last week at http://www.artmuseums.com/librarygallery.htm

I've been doing story/craft programming for children in a public library setting for 18 years. I love art and enjoy painting in my "spare" time. I'm looking for fresh ideas to bring to my programs.

Hi Laura,
Unlike you I'm kind of new to all this. I have only been a Children's Librarian for a few years, but like you I really love coming up with craft ideas, I love arts and crafts and I love sharing my excitement with all our young patrons.

Hello Everyone,
I'm sorry to post so late, but I had a hard time logging in. Anyways, my name is Montserrat Inglada and I work as the Youth Services Librarian at the Whiting Public Library in Whiting, IN. I am very excited about this class as I have always loved Arts and Crafts and at my library crafts form a big part of most of our programming. One thing that I would love to get out of this class is to come up with some ideas for a teen craft program which I think could be a big success. Well, I look forward hearing everyone's ideas and maybe incorporating them into our own programs.