Return to Website

HAWK Missile Veterans Association

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message as long as it is HAWK/HERC related.

HAWK Missile Veterans Association
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
2nd/71st ADA - Korea

Here's a link to a Facebook page which is all about those who served in the 2nd (Hawk) Missile Bn of the 71st Air Defense Artillery in Korea. Check it out and add your photos and experiences to the page. You may find someone you know there.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/2nd-71st-ADA/280308982023939?sk=timeline

Re: 2nd/71st ADA - Korea

I was at 2/44th at Camp Howard DSP in 1977. I wish I had a yearbook.

Greetings ....

Landed in Korea February 1964 and was assigned as a Fire Control Operator at Camp Kaiser for about six months in the generator section under a Spec/Sgt (?) ...last name... Garcia section and then I was transferred to Camp Jonathan Williams and became CWAC operator for the rest of my tour.... Check my my websites at www.soulsvillegroup.com and www.americansoul.us for updated info... Hope to hear from some of my comrades from back then especially the medic his name might have been Bristol. He took some pictures. I have no memorabilia from then. I hope some remembers me :)Also Frank Thompson who stayed in the service went through Hawk School with me. We turned out to be good buddies back then and spent part of tour in the same unit together... Shoutouts to him if anyone knows him...

Peace!

Guy Sims
Greenville, NC
03/17/23

I was at D 2/71 16D Crew chief, and worked in training NCO position. Don't know for sure when all were there but if you remember me just give shout out.

Both links do not work.

I was stationed at D 2/71 78-79 and 80-81. Never did like the ride up to tac site. The ride down was even worse. Highest tac site in the world with very little space. Don't miss it one bit.

I was at D btry 2nd Bn 71 ADA Camp Hill in late 71 to Oct 72 16E fcc. Also was company driver. Drove the "slab"almost daily I liked delta battery cause you were many days above the clouds. Exquisite views. Would appreciate if someone could tell me the name of the village near the compound(Camp Hill)

I remember the village below the compound was Koyang-ni. I have only found it on Mapcarta, and I'm not even sure it points me to the right location. I was at HHB the first six months, then transferred to Delta Btry as Btry Clerk.

When were you stationed there. I worked as training NCO, and company clerk as well as working on site as crew chief when needed. Worked for 1SG Cato. Like to here from you.

Bill Phillips

Your name sounds familiar. SSG Bill Phillips when there. I worked in training room, on site when needed, and then took over as company clerk when John left. I was there when the truck when over with some of our guys in it. Like to hear back from you.

Larry when were you at D Btry.

I was there 72-73; transferred in from HHB (?) late 72 and stayed the rest of my tour (about 6 months). 1SG Joe Marshall was Bn S2, then took over at D Btry. He "recruited" me from the Bn S1 shop to come up and replace Karl Riggs as Btry Clerk. I was a good soldier for a while, then went the way of so many young men at the time. (Anybody who was there knows what I mean!)

Dan Beyer
Here's a link to a Facebook page which is all about those who served in the 2nd (Hawk) Missile Bn of the 71st Air Defense Artillery in Korea. Check it out and add your photos and experiences to the page. You may find someone you know there.

William Kenney
A 2 71 1967 1968
I personally rode on the truck as they sprayed A Battery.
For those who broke down the hill and went north and set up again as a timed exercise this would put you on the DMZ. You would then be consider a DMZ vet for the purpose for claims for agent orange.

Re: 2nd/71st ADA - Korea 71-72

was there also as 31M radio relay - not feeling to good this past year hope with the new ruling VA can help but dates are still Aug 71 but no more unit qualification is needed as of last month -- welcome Home Brothers. I remember a Pat Paterson from Cailf? we put a duce&1/2 off a bridge summer of 72 with mailman name

I was station there 81 for a short period the tac site closed I was in hospital at the time I was then sent to camp red cloud do you know why the site was closed Debraivory140@yahoo.com

I held the como sgt. place. my had a broke leg.... i spent Christmas up there on TAC site. Hated the walk..

I was there may 1973- may 1974 .I was military police sentry dog handler.spec4
Paul Christy . Delta battery did have a great view , road was bad in winter .
we rolled a truck over on it's side right where the road leveled out and the
rice paddies began , driver and guys up front were checking out a playboy mag.

Gaius! Let's chat good friend!

I was stationed in Battery D 2/71st ADA we probably know each other I’m thinking which 1st Sgt was Cato was that the white guy or the older black ex Ranger?

Be happy to hear from you

Ben Jetter

I was there at Camp Hill from Ja. 1971 to Feb. 1972......but do not remember your name Bruce?

I was there 79-81 and I remember 1st Sgt Cato and I remember you also. Good to hear from you.

Ben Jetter
Tac site PLL clerk

Just got to see your reply about being there at D/2/71 . Cato was the older 1SG who never came out of the office except to go to barber shop or go to mess hall. We had the big black E-7 mess SGT who was hell of nice guy. I believe I remember you name. I took over company clerk when John left, and still worked tac site when had too as crew chief.

Re: 2nd/71st ADA - Korea 71-72

I was assigned to B Btry, 2/71st ADA from 1972-1973 and I was present on the Tac-Site when they sprayed the follage from a chopper. Have no idea what type insecticide it was , but no ones talking. Sprayed that stuff all over the site

Yes I remember those were the good old days right? Been a lot of water under the bridge since then. Good to know you’re doing well. Feel free to email me @ hoghollor@aol.com

Ben Jetter

If yo look on face book you will see Bill Rankin (William Rankin) he was 24E if I remember right. I haven't seen him on this site. Did you stay in Elpaso, or different state.

Where you their with a E-4 Anderson

I weigh station Camp Hill work in motor pool 78-79 were you there then

I was there in 78 and 79 work in the motor pool your name sounds familiar

William Kenney. A/2/71. 1967 1968
I am still trying to build our history.
I am looking for photos, yearbooks,
memories,etc.
I recently found out there is a 2/71 Ada
stationed in Japan.

WILLIAM kENNEY
Dan Beyer
Here\'s a link to a Facebook page which is all about those who served in the 2nd (Hawk) Missile Bn of the 71st Air Defense Artillery in Korea. Check it out and add your photos and experiences to the page. You may find someone you know there.

William Kenney
A 2 71 1967 1968
I personally rode on the truck as they sprayed A Battery.
For those who broke down the hill and went north and set up again as a timed exercise this would put you on the DMZ. You would then be consider a DMZ vet for the purpose for claims for agent orange.
I need buddy letters about defoliant use in Korea on tac sites johnny Griffin 112 catawba ct. Antioch TN 37013 Thank you all

Which unit and battery?

I think B 2/71 she was hanging around a SSG Grandberry during that time

I was stationed with the 2/71st ada at camp Hill. Above a korean village:coyangni. I was a radio/switch board operater on the missile sight. Highest in the Army, at 12000 feet.

You were there when I was there.

When were you there? I was there B. Btry 1972-1973**Signal, 31B Radio Repair

Funny you should mention that. I was a 16E at 3/7 ADA (A Btry) in Schweinfurt, Germany as SP4. A guy had come from Ft. Riley after being stationed at B 271. He hed said getting to and from D 2/71 was treacherous.

Were you at B Btry? There was a 16E named Tompkins and a Brett Mourick there.

The highest site was B/7/5

I remember you, I remember two 1st sgts one was an old white guy that wore glasses he was 1sgt in 1979 when I first got there, the other was an older Black man was ranger qualified and was 1sgt in 1980 maybe 82. Good to hear from you.

I knew SSG Rankin he was a 24 E you are right

THe name of the villa Gwacheon

In 1971 -1972

I the country 1971-1972 was you there

I was in the country 1971-1972 were you there

I was the PLL Looking for others that was station near the villa and rode to the site everyday. Only the ones that know what I mean will know. At D Battery the Villa was across a bridge were mama-son and papa-son had girls. And Seoul,Korea was the place were we really did I party. I think it was call Youngsan. Its been a long so some of the names maybe mispell. I was station at D Battery from Oct. 1971 to Dec 1972

Are the Thompson that was in Korea in Oct 1971 -1972

Where you a Sgt. during that time and did you have or know death girls that you talk to and are you from Texas

I was there 79-81 and was there when 1sgt Cato was there. I remember you.

I was there when the truck went off the mountain towards the bottom of the road. They were likely freewheeling something we called going down the mountain in neutral. Sgt Sacolo Japanese American was the NCO on the truck he was a 24C I believe he worked on the hi power illuminator. A kid with red hair hurt his back bad and was discharged. We couldn’t get a medivac chopper because of the weather it was rainy and foggy if I remember correctly and so they had to take the guys to the hospital in the Battery Ambulance. A lot of people thought it was cool to go down the mountain in neutral I wasn’t one of them. Was Cato the Black guy who was a Ranger cause he was the second 1sgt when I was there, there was a white 1sgt before him. I thought Cato was a nice guy. I do have the year books for both years I was there but they are currently at my ex-wife’s house.

I was there from late 1972 to 1973 as the Supply clerk and Armor. Not doing good remembering names. Just came across this site.

D Battery 2nd Battalion 71st Arty 1965-67 Believe we were at out of Camp Casey N of Seoul.
That tact site ride up and down was a challenge, even the Deuce and a Half had trouble going up.
Wheels slipping and the view was not pleasant. Maneuvers in the field getting all the equipment down the mountain was hellish. Looking for anyone that served in D Battery during that time period.
Thanks

Bob Armbruster Pinckney, MI

1 2