Return to Website

HAWK Missile Veterans Association

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message as long as it is HAWK/HERC related.

HAWK Missile Veterans Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Delta 4-1 ADA HAWK, Reitscheid Germany

I am looking for any information on Soldiers who served in the unit in the subject line, from 1985-1988.

If you can forward a Facebook page, or other forum, it would be most appreciated.

Feb 1, 2018

Re: Delta 4-1 ADA HAWK, Reitscheid Germany

I was an M.P. stationed at this post from 1987-1989. Haven't been able to find out much about the unit since I left.

Your name does not ring a bell...tell me some name that you remember?

I was at Delta 4-1 ADA HAWK, Reitscheid, from 83 to 86 (My Second Tour) the first tour I was station in Giebelstadt C 6/52th. I happen to be in Germany at the moment taking a trip on the Old Memory Train. Last week I went to Look for the sites but they are all gone!! Not Much of them remains. At D 4-1 There was the Tough 1st Sgt. Can not remember his name. Other people there were: SSG Sosa Bravo Hawk Section Chief; Myself (SSG Martinez) Alpha Hawck Section Chief; SGT Marrero; SP4 Tiers; and Many Others. PS. Will Check this Page again in a few weeks.

i remember you from ft lewis or reitscheid kaserne in germany. i was in alpha platoon ssg cherry and sgt morrow. the 1st sgt was crazy david story.

Fritts what did you do (your MOS?, Other People there: 1st SGT Story, David (The Fricking Crazy ass 1st SGT); I Do Remember SGT Morrow, I think he work at the Center Barn as a 16E or at the Motor Pool; Then SSG Griffin who was the Alpha Hawk Missile Section Chief who I took over his position after he left. U fortunately, I do not remember any more names at this time. I remember faces but this, of course does not help. At the time you and I were there something big happen at the missile site one night while we were getting ready for an Inspection. Do you remember what that was?

Hi Danny Mcrary, Yes I do remember those guys, there was also SSG Griffin on the Alpha Hawk Missile Section Chief, I remember some of the people at the Center Barn the Radar and Launcher Mechanics but not their names. I recall that at noon, when we came down to the Barracks, there were 2 E-7s (Platoon SGTs Mechanics) that like to play pool and myself and a few other Missile guys would challenge them. Those were some crazy times in Germany. Many stories to tell.

Hello,

I was a 16D, Hawk Crewmember. The 1SG I remember was 1SG Tate, overweight, and loud as hell when he wanted to be. The Battery Commander was CPT Kathleen Ladig, Platoon Sergeants were SFC Fred Mizell, SFC Scoggins and SSG George Williams. I don't remember any of the names that you mentioned in your post. Again, I was there from December of 1985 until early April of 1988. Below is a list of all the guys I knew really well:

SSG Timothy Wilkins was my Section Chief, 16D
SPC Paul Abegglen
SPC Brian Schatz, still see him today
SPC Iverson
SPC Pope...Chris, I think
SPC Obrian, she was the medic
SPC Sullender
SPC Springs...female
SPC Michael Jones, met in basic, very close to this guy
SPC Noyes
SPC Gregory Patrick
SPC Ronnie Bell
SPC Curtis Ware, Supply guy
PFC Evensizer
PFC Brook Robinson, female

These are the ones that I remember pretty well. Do you have contact with others that may verify the timeline???

Hi Fritts, Wow!! You remember a lot. Very good memory. I will have to check my timelines. I was station in Germany 4 times Starting with the first tour in January 1979 till Dec 1981 (first tour was in Giebelstadt next to Wurzburg). Then I went to Ft Bliss for a Year and a Half so I must have arrived in Germany Between May and July 1983 till May/July 1986. I Remember that the 4/1 ADA 32d AADCOM Headquarters were in Hoppstadten (next to the bldg there was a little airport like where Germans would fly this gliders), I Leaved in Freisen and would shop at the Baumholder Commissary. Delta 4/1 ADA was in Reitscheid, which before Hawk used to be a Hercules Site. Thinking a bit more, I also remembered having a very short (6 to 8 months) CONUS tour, at FT Bliss, before returning to Germany, if that tour was my first then, my 2d Germany tour would have started around July/Sep 1982 until July Sep 1985. This then would, in some respect, explain why I do not recognize most, if not all the names that you mentioned. Still I need and want to check all my papers to make sure of the Dates of my second tour. I will get back to you then.

Thanks, yeah, I have a pretty good memory. I think its still good, because I am still in the ADA in Florida Army National Guard as a CW5 now. I got out in 1988 and went straight in the Guard where they just got the HAWK system. I was only one of 6 qualified guys in the entire Battalion, and I have been here ever since. I arrived as a SPC, E-4 and now I am a CW5.

I remember much of what you stated as well. However, the 32 AADCOM was located in Darmstadt, the Battalion Headquarters was in Hoppstadten. I know this, because, I lived off-post with my then wife, right next to that small glider field. I also remember the "Tac-Site" at Delta Battery very well. Shortly before my arrival there, terrorist from the Red Army Faction cut holes in the fenceline there and bombed 2 of the radars. It was heavy guard duty, and roving patrols when I got there...I will never forget those days. I met a lot of good people there and like I mentioned before, I still maintain contact with a handful of them. I greatly appreciate your replies.

..I was 18 ...After AIT training in Heavy Equipment....I found myself O.J.T At Charlie company on the Hawk fire control console...winter of 1967...Gieblestadt. The Air Force was stationed there, we used their mess hall and EM club. Soon after I got there..maybe a few months if not less...We woke up to find the Air Force gone. We had to build our locations for Mess and the club....was there for two years.

I was stationed at Delta 4-1 from January 1991 to Feb/March 1992. The unit was deactivated and Hawk was moved over to the National Guard/Army Reserves. I was there the day we closed the doors.

Hello Julie,

Wow, thats pretty interesting. When I left Delta Battery in April of 1988, I went home to Florida, where the Florida Army National Guard was about to convert 3 Duster and Chapparel Battalions over to HAWK. They stood up those units in May of 1988 and thats when I joined the Guard. I was only the 6th person in my entire Battery, and I have been in the Guard now ever since. I was an E-4 when I got out of the active duty and joined the Guard, and now I am a CW5. We turned in all of our HAWK gear in 1996, and that following year, we received the Avenger, which we still have today. I will retire next year after 36 total years. Do you mind telling me about your time there? You can write to my personal email if you like? (chieffrittts@gmail.com) Hope to hear back from you, and thanks for the reply.

Rick,

I don’t remember you however, I do remember some others you mentioned during my time in Reitscheid. I also remember fellow MP Chris Bennett whom I worked with for awhile before he left. I too was an MP stationed in Reitscheid from January 1988-April 1991. When I first arrived, I recall Capt. Kathleen Leydig. I remember Evensizer, ( I believe he was from California), and Abegglen. Reitscheid was pretty bad duty for an MP. SSgt. Harry Snavely was in charge of the MP section upon my arrival and I recall we had geese going around the perimeter at that time. So we had geese duty, feed, water, etc. it was pretty bad. I returned to Reitscheid in 2009 for a vacation and it was totally abandoned. The barracks were still standing at that time but the Tac Site was pretty much gone other than a couple run down buildings.

i was stationed in reitscheid from 83 to 85 under 1st sgt david storey. i was a 16e,hawk fire control crewmember. we were delta 3-59 hawk missile unit then. ssg cherry was my sect chief and sfc culipher was the platoon leader. the unit had a small commisary, post office and bar or lounge all downstairs.

was the 1st sgt david storey? pretty mean guy that was short and kinda stocky if i remember correctly. i was a hawk fire control crewmember. ssg cherry was my section chief and sfc culipher was the platoon ldr. the unit there then was delta 3-59 hawk missile battery. the names mentioned sound so familiar. i was also stationed at ft lewis charlie 1-4 if i am not mistaken.

man i have always wondered if i would ever see or hear from anyone that was stationed there the same time as i was.

Re: Delta 3/59 later 4-1 ADA HAWK, Reitscheid Germany

Delta 4-1 / 3/59 ADA HAWK, Reitscheid Germany

Hello Macrary, You were station in Reitscheid at the time I was there, and Yes it was Delta 3/39 and Yes 1st SGT David Storey (The Short and a bit fat guy, Crazy Dude) that will lock the entire unit up for any stupid thing, that was our ferocious leader.

I think I remember you. Do you Remember Sgt Morrow? Or SSG Sosa (16D) Bravo Section; Myself (16D) Sgt Marrero (16D), SSG Griffin (16D Alpha Section Chief), SP/4 Tiers (16D) short guy, He would handle all kinds of other duties. All of us from Alpha Section I am trying to remember our Platoon (SFC), he was a Thin guy. I do remember SSC Chulipher.

You must remember the terrorist (Red Army Faction) attack where they cut holes in the fence, placed bombs on 2 of the radars and blue them up. That night we were preparing for a next day inspection, so the unit was either on a 9 or 12 our Maintenance state therefore a skeleton crew was on site.

Shortly before the explosions went off, I had been on site at the center barn (as you know very close the the radars) looking for some equipment some of my soldiers had left at the site when they were on duty. The High Power Ears flew, went through the roof and landed on the chair that was used by the NCO in-charge of the night crew (16Ds, 16Es, and Maintenance guys) on duty. CNN was there early that morning broadcasting the news of the attack. If I recall correctly, their Van was parked near the Site Gate Entrance.

After that attack, someone came up with the idea of using geese as an addition (to improve) the site security.

I remembered when after the geese were implemented and I had duty, hearing the geese at night all the time. Myself and others always found the idea funny.

I must have been there very briefly and left shortly after Fritts arrived. When I left 6/52 in Giebelstadt Germany, I was sad and always missed that assignment. In contrast, when I left 3/59 after 4/1, I was glad and hope I never served under the crazy &^%$ 1st SGT Storey again!!

Danny, Edwin...

Its good to hear from some Soldiers that were there near the time I was. It was great to read the story of the geese, because I arrived there on December 5, 1985. I remember pulling mucho guard duty during my time there, and I forgot all about those geese. I was in Bravo Section, and I dont remember any of those NCOs that you mentioned, with the exception of SFC Chulipher. I remember a SSG Williams from Bravo, and my section chief was SSG Timothy Wilkins. Wilkins was a great guy, and I arrived there as an E-1, and when I made CW5 in 2015, I invited him to my promotion ceremony. Its great to hear from you all, and I am hoping that more folks chime in.

Cheers...!

If you look on my website thereare a lot of veterans hawk soldiers talking just sighn up for hawk unit veterans

Use to be d 2/62 ada back in 79

Hi Fritts,

I was stationed at 3/59 the same time you were - (Jan 85-May 88). I was the 16E Sec. Chief until I got reassigned as the Training NCO with 1SG Tate. I think I do recall you, I was in the Platoon with SFC Scoggins/SSG Williams. SSG Williams was a good friend, he went to Ft Bliss and I think he retired early, I wish I could locate him and see what he's been doing. I also was friends with the NBC NCO (Russell), can remember his last name. I'll never forget the bombings, that night before we were cleaning the barrack/rooms, getting everything ready for either a Bn/Bde inspection schedule for the next day when the bombs went off. I went from 3/59 with orders to Ft Bliss, but got reassigned to Ft Hood with a newly forming HAWK Bn. I retired from the Army after 20 years and have been working as a gov. employee with DPW/Construction Branch. I did have a good time in Germany, I sometime wish I could go back and visit but it probably will never happen. Sounds as though you have done real good with your career in the National Guard, you should be proud.

HOLY SMOKES...I remember you!!! Out of all the replies that I have received on this thread, you are the ONLY one that I remember. I can see you face even, that's how well I remember you. When I got there, you were already the training NCO. I remember you and I talking about our MOS Job Book when I first got there and the most noticeable trait that I noticed with you was that you were super calm and really nice, when everyone else there were really abrasive at first. You also, gave me and the others that arrived with my, our first PT test. George Williams was my Platoon Sergeant and I remember speaking to him a few times after he rotated back to the states. I keep in touch with only one other guy from Delta Battery, his name is Brian Schatz. He was in the 2nd platoon, and he arrived with me in December 1985. In fact, I just saw him about 10 months ago, up in Destin, Florida where he lives...I live in Cocoa, Florida. My section chief was SSG Louis Wilkins, and I kept in touch with him, but its been a long time since we spoke. I was a CW2 and I went out to Fort Bliss for a course and I linked up with him, but again, its been more than a decade since I saw him. This July, I will turn 36 years of service. I plan on retiring in about a year from now. What about you, where do you call home? My regular email is chieffritts@gmail.com You can write me there if you like, I would love to throw some other names around and see what shakes out. Thanks so much for the reply and I hope to hear back from you.

FRITTS

Was stationed at reitscheid from 88'-90'.

I was there from summer of 88' to 90, don't remember you as a MP. I knew 3 of the MPs 2 female and 1 male.

LMAO, OMG Spc Springs [Notch on her Belt] was SGT Springs when I got there, as well as Abegglen was also a SGT.

Hey, your name sounds mighty familiar. That "notch on her belt" comment...I know you were there too, LOL.