Return to Website

HAWK Missile Veterans Association

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message as long as it is HAWK/HERC related.

HAWK Missile Veterans Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: chemicals used to clean missile parts.

Trichlorofloroethylene, we called it (Trike).

Not sure of the spelling, but trico abbreviated term. I had a guy that had to be medically sent to out to states due to sniffing it while pulling shift in BCC. We could not reach him on com for several minutes, made a check and he was out like a light. Partial memory loss last word I heard. Also used to clean weapons when returning from field.

Re: chemicals used to clean missile parts.TCE

Bill,
Thanks for your reply. I have had a thyroid disorder for over 35 years. My doctor submitted proof of the correlation between thyroid disease and TCE. Just received a denial for any benefits from VA. Now I have to challenge thier decision.
Like fighting a brick wall!
Would appreciate any other information of incidents regarding this stuff.
Thanks again.
J. Palka former Sgt E-5

I was in Hawk for 13 years and used TCE for cleaning a lot. I have liver damage, kidney damage, thyroid disease, bladder cancer, cataracts and severe disc herniation and spinal stenosis. TCE can cause most of these problems and I get all my medical care at the VA but I have not filed a claim and I doubt it would do any good anyway . From what I've read the VA is pretty lacking in the knowledge of what TCE can do to your health from exposure and to get a VA Dr to say your illness is more likely than not caused by exposure to this chemical is probably going to be hard to do.

Russ
I was in Hawk for 13 years and used TCE for cleaning a lot. I have liver damage, kidney damage, thyroid disease, bladder cancer, cataracts and severe disc herniation and spinal stenosis. TCE can cause most of these problems and I get all my medical care at the VA but I have not filed a claim and I doubt it would do any good anyway . From what I've read the VA is pretty lacking in the knowledge of what TCE can do to your health from exposure and to get a VA Dr to say your illness is more likely than not caused by exposure to this chemical is probably going to be hard to do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene#Human_exposure

MEC. Methyl Ethyl Keytone??
Sorry about spelling.....

Let me know how this goes for you I am going to file a claim also , my older brother has and get some money for this crap. If you read up on this crap its pretty nasty stuff, man I remember getting the crap on me and it burned like hell and made me all red and sore as hell, I was at c 3/59 ADA 75- 77 and D 2/57 ADA78-81 then New Mexico national Guard 81-85 Hawk,never was there safety gear, it also felt pretty good if you splashed it in your eye.

J Palka
Bill,
Thanks for your reply. I have had a thyroid disorder for over 35 years. My doctor submitted proof of the correlation between thyroid disease and TCE. Just received a denial for any benefits from VA. Now I have to challenge thier decision.
Like fighting a brick wall!
Would appreciate any other information of incidents regarding this stuff.
Thanks again.
J. Palka former Sgt E-5
Similar situation, developed Graves Disease, diagnosed in the early 80's, now find that there is a direct correlation between TCE exposure and thyroid disease. Very dismayed to hear about your denial, thinking about filing myself.

We used Trichloroethylene to clean all parts of the chassis and Radars, launchers and missiles We almost bathed in the stuff. Worked great, paying for it now.

I worked with the Improved HAWK System at the DSP 2/55 Ft. Bliss from Dec. 1976 to Oct. 1978 and also did a tour in 2/2 ADA Giessen Germany 1980 - 1983 finished as a SSG MOS 24K3H.

The chemical compound trichloroethylene is a halocarbon commonly used as an industrial solvent. It is a clear non-flammable liquid with a sweet smell. It should not be confused with the similar 1,1,1-trichloroethane, which is commonly known as chlorothene.

1963 June to DEC 19 1964 Germany Schwaback Germany.

The chemical was Trico Etheline I don’t really know how to spell it.

Tricoetheline is what we were using in both units I was at..

the chem is trichlorethylene. I was exposed to it between 1973 to 1975 and have a lot of health problems because of it.