Return to Website

HAWK Missile Veterans Association

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message as long as it is HAWK/HERC related.

HAWK Missile Veterans Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for A 3/60 ADA Grafenwohr Germany 1978-1981

I vaguely remember John. I just know riding up to Tac Site 17 in the back of a deuce and a half during the winter was not that much fun. One time coming down the long hill on the highway about halfway to the Tac site, we hit some black ice. The deuce swapped ends and crossed into opposing traffic lanes. Only the guard rail stopped us from going over the edge of the hill. I spent most of my time on the Assault Fire Platoon, with Lieutenant Antonio Jenkins and SFC Will in charge. Getting ready for the Tac Eval's in late 1982, it seemed like we were March Ordering and practice deploying all summer and fall. I remember SFC Will's down with the COM group that came with us. He had them putting up and tearing down that 60 ft UHF antenna, until they could do erect it in under 6 minutes.

Re: Looking for A 3/60 ADA Grafenwohr Germany 1978-1981

I remember SFC Wills. I think when he arrived he was senior man and they put him in charge although I think he was a 24c. I also remember going down that hill on the way to the tac site. My first winter their we came down the hill and I was riding shotgun. It had snowed the night before and some tank did donuts in the middle of the road and turned it to ice. We went sideways and off the road and turned over. The truck tipped on my side and I ended up with a broken collarbone. I ended up having to ride in the back of a deuce and a half all the way to the hospital in Neuenburg. It was too icy for ambulances to get on the road.