Return to Website

HAWK Missile Veterans Association

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message as long as it is HAWK/HERC related.

HAWK Missile Veterans Association
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Delta battery 4/57th artillery I

I was with A Batt 4th Bn 57th ADA(HAWK) in 70-73 A Batt was in Ansbach, along with the BN Headquarters on Barton Barracks. Do you remember where the D Batt TAC Site was located? I think I remember it was close to Amberg, and was co-located with a German Unit. Is that close to the Truth?

Delta battery was located in Schwabach about 10km from Nuernburg. I was there in 1967-68. In 1971 my wife and I went to visit her brother in Germany and he and I took a side visit to the missile site and it was gone.

Thank You Ron for yourf reply.

I was at the site of Delta battery fourth missile battalion 57th auxiliary, on the day that the president of the United States John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated. It was November 22, 1963, the site was 3 miles or 4 miles outside of the O’Brien concern in Schwalbach Germany.

When we missed the morning meal truck which was often we would walk back three or 4 miles to the O’Brien concern. The M 14 really didn’t feel that heavy at that time.

About 8 or9 months later at the site we were told Vietnam was getting hot. That is when the gulf of Tonkin resolution kicked in, ya I remember Schawback well.