Welcome To The Forum That Is Dedicated To "Keeping Their Memory Alive"

51 Squadron Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Halifax mz918 mh-u 5/01/1945

Hi Rob,

My grandfathers brother Sgt John Hubert Yearsley was also on this flight and died. Did you make any headway with finding out more?

Kent Yearsley

this is the first reply I have received. I did find his grave stone in a comonwealth war graves cemetery near hannover and we also obtained copies of his service record from the RAF but nothing re the survivors. Trail has gone cold I am afraid.

Rob Brooks

Dear Rob, sorry for taking so long to post this or get in touch. My Father was the E Timms (Edward) on your uncles crew.I have been in touch with the 51 sqn association and have passed on what little further info I have.
On the night in question my Dad flew as the rear gunner as relief for a crew member who was sick. From what he told me this would have been his final trip of his tour, hense volunteering. By his account their aircraft was engaged by a German night fighter (Me 110?)who's attack set fire to the port engine and fuel tanks. My Dad was able to bale out by turning his turret towards the flames, fastening his reserve chute (they were stowed behind the turret as there was insufficient space for them to be worn in flight in the turret) and exiting the aircraft by rolling backwards out of the turret doors. It was at this moment when He suffered the injuries that he sustained as the aircraft exploded.These injuries meant that his left leg was amputated above the knee, this being carried out without anaesthetic as such itemswere in short supply in Germany at this stage of the war. Due to the crude surgery my Father spent his whole lifein pain and endured several operations on his leg.Unfortunately gangrene got into the stump of his leg and this reulted in him passing away in 1976 at the age of 51. He was a month short of his 20th birthday when he was shot down.
I hope this is of interest and helps provide some backgroud info for you.
Regards Terry Timms.

I discovered only yesterday that my cousin Sgt Alfred Pritchard aged 19 was also lost on MZ918 and is buried in Hanover.I have been fascinated to read details of this last mission and hope to be able to find out more about Alfred's service record.

Anne Dray

anne.dray@sightgroup.com

I know that my father's cousin john was on this flight. I understand that he died on the night of his 21st birthday over hanover. does anyone have any more information?

Hi, I'm trying to get in touch with Lynne Bower, grand daughter of John Whitmore. John Whitmore died on MX918 / Mz918 along with my great uncle John Hubert Yearsley.

Tx.

Should you find yourself concerned about upcoming examinations, we'd like to introduce our esteemed take my exam online service. Our experienced team is dedicated to guiding you towards achieving excellent outcomes in your online exams. Ensure you're well-rested by entrusting us with your exam preparations. We are committed to delivering exceptional results; now is your moment to excel.