Librarian and Staff Online Workshop

Welcome to the Online Workshop Discussion Forum.

Arts and Crafts for the Youth Librarian-Indiana
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Week 4-Topic #2 (Click reply to this topic-Please do not create a new post)

I have been inspired to bring arts and crafts back in to my scheduled programs.
I agree with the others that the resources and ideas from other have been very helpful. I like seeing what others are doing in their libraries.

Re: Week 4-Topic #2 Class critique

Miss Valerie,
It's been a real pleasure learning from you and my classmates. Librarians working in youth services are a great group of folks. They are more than willing to share an idea or a source to ensure a successful program.

For a non-techie, using the Internet to post class assignments and chat was quite a learning adventure. I wouldn't hesitate to repeat the experience.

It would be interesting to discover what you learned from us.

Jonnie

Great class! Thank you for the opportunity to learn so many new craft ideas and I can't wait to try some of them. Also, for the many websites to look into.

Thank you very much for this opportunity! I really enjoyed this class. It made me find ideas I never thought about before for programming. Also it was fun to see ideas of other librarians as well! The Art Gallery is a great feature :)

I will send you an e-mail with my address to send the LEUs certificate.

Thank again! :)

Valerie, Thanks so much for this class! I have gotten so many new ideas and lots of websites to explore for more ideas. I really enjoyed the art gallery and being able to see what other librarians are doing. I will send an email to you with my address. Thanks again!

Thank You, Valerie! I have really enjoyed this class it has opened up my mind to some wonderful ideas that I had not previously considered. I will be taking what I learned from this class and creating some new fun programs for our young patrons to enjoy and I am very strongly considering the idea of creating an art program at my library thanks to all the wonderful ideas that you and everyone else shared :)

I have gained some really great ideas that I can, hopefully, implement in the future. I know have a better and more varied idea base than I did before this class. I will incorporate some of the art ideas into programs, or make programs around some of the art projects that were discussed in the class. Thanks to all for the ideas and links provided. This was a great class!

It has been a great class and I think that my creativity thrives with others! I agree it would have been great to be in a classroom together and brainstorm ideas together as a group, but this was also very beneficial. I love that as a librarian, the arts and crafts component of my job exists. That is one of my favorite gifts and knowing that the community needs us to provide those opportunities is very exciting! I have art programs for my Teens once a month and we incorporate some kind of craft at every Story Time. This class really helped me reach outside of my comfort zone and incorporate more ideas with the school aged children. Thank you for sharing everything with us and I hope we will stay in touch as time passes and ideas grow! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thank you very much for all the wonderful links. I'm not the most crafty person so I pretty much need step by step directions and you have provided us with that. I also want to thank my fellow classmates who also gave so much of themselves! I hoping to share everything I have learned with not only our children, but my local(Northwest Indiana)Children's Counterpart group. We don't meet again until the spring, so I think I will have a few of the projects ready to share!

I enjoy reading others' posts and seeing the wonderful ideas that they have. I have encountered some art suggestions that I had not thought of before this. I don't come up with too much completely on my own, I browse other sites, images and ideas and then use them in a way that works for the outcome I am looking for. This class was another tool to achieve this. Thank you

The best address to reach me would be

Michelle Cloum
Tipton County Public Library
127 E. Madison St.
Tipton, IN 46072

The best thing about this course for me was sharing ideas with each other and being able to see what others come up with using the same ideas as me. The other library employees have had much more experience than I have and it was nice to see things that have worked well in the past and think of ways I could incorporate them into my programming. I saved notes for all of the lectures and will use what I have learned in my future programs. I am planning on having an art based program soon and have had some children who said they would be interested. I will definitely use the ideas that others have provided for future programs.

This was a great class!! I have so many new crafts to try. The posts were my favorite part. Seeing each week new ideas and new spins on old ideas.

WEEK 4 TOPIC 2

a. What have you gained from taking this class?

b. How will you use what you have learned in future programs?

c. Send address for LEU certificate

a. I have learned quite a lot from this class. I especially like hearing about ideas for school age and tweens and teens as these are age groups that I have not worked with as often. I believe it also has encouraged me to try these new ideas and to keep either a portfolio, a yearly calendar of art activities, or both. It is a bonus to share ideas with others in similar positions working with the same age groups. Thank you for facilitating the class and for your enlightening lessons.
I have also appreciated the many websites that have been provided either in the lessons or in the postings. These will be helpful, too!
b. I will use these ideas for future programs. I plan to try new ideas rather than my usual ones. In other words, I plan to move outside my “comfort zone” a bit as the children and I explore art projects together. I have always enjoyed arts and crafts as I had a grandmother who inspired and encouraged me from a young age. The primary barrier has been time. I actually wish we had a space where children could work on a multi-week project at times (i.e. painting, papier mache,…)and store them between times. We share our story hour room so while this may not be impossible, it is a challenge.
c. Please send my LEU certificate to:

Jeanetta Graham
Children’s Department
Anderson Public Library
111 East 12th Street
Anderson, Indiana 46016

Note:

It would be great if the other participants were willing to exchange at least e-mails or contact details so we could continue to encourage one another and share ideas.