Librarian and Staff Online Workshop

Welcome to the Online Workshop Discussion Forum.

Arts and Crafts for the Youth Librarian-Indiana
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Week #1, topic #2

The art project I made as stained glass butterflies using contact paper and torn tissue paper. It was a very simple project but very fun with 5 thru 7 yr. olds.

The materials needed for this project are:

contact paper - 1 roll
various colors of tissue paper - I had the kids tear their own because this added more individuality to the project.
cardstock in various colors - this is used to cut out a butterfly shape
glue dots - for adhering the contact paper to the butterfly frame

I pre-cut the butterfly shapes using the cardstock. This was to cut down on time needed for the project because you needed to cut out the inside of the butterfly creating a frame. I used various colors so the kids could still pick the color of butterfly they wanted.

I also pre-cut the contact paper in squares big enough to cover most of the butterfly. When the children had picked out a butterfly, I then opened the contact paper for them and laid it flat.

The children tore the tissue paper into small pieces in whatever color they wanted to put inside the butterfly. The tissue paper pieces were then placed on the sticky side of the contact paper. After the tissue pieces were in place, I helped the child close the contact paper.

I used glue dots to adhere the contact paper to the butterfly frame. I then cut any overage of the contact paper from the butterfly frame. The children could either take the butterfly as it was or I hole-punched a hole and strung the butterfly on a string so they could hang it.