Librarian and Staff Online Workshop

Welcome to the Online Workshop Discussion Forum.

Arts and Crafts for the Youth Librarian-Indiana
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Week 4- Optional: Christmas and Holiday Programming Ideas

One of our library's most popular events of the year (and the reason I was delayed in posting) is our annual Gingerbread House Decorating Program. Every year I create 75 cardboard houses along with royal icing for families to decorate. I use a template and cut the house shapes from recycled cardboard. I glue them to a white paper covered base and let them dry overnight. Next I spray the houses with spray adhesive and sprinkle them with cinnamon. Then I make 8 batches of royal icing for each of the three sessions I present and divide it into ziploc freezer bags which I secure with a rubber band at the top. I snip the tip of the bag when it's time to decorate. 24 families attend each of the three sessions and are required to bring 2 bags of candy or similar items to share. We spread all the candy on a table at the center of the room and play Christmas music while families decorate their houses together. We always have a lengthy waiting list for this free program.

Re: Week 4- Optional: Gingerbread Houses: Christmas and Holiday Programming Ideas

Laura makes so many families happy with this program! If people forget to call early enough to get in, they are MOST disappointed. It's quite a family tradition for many of our families. What a big project for prep time - but great results too!