GlenavyHistory.com will endeavour to answer queries concerning the history of Glenavy and it's surrounds, but regrets that it is unable to give any guidance on questions related to family history or provide any personal genealogical research. Please view our Links page for a list of resources for genealogy research.

Please note:
Offensive or inflamatory messages will be deleted from this Forum.

GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum

Forum: GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Deans and Tolands of Tornaroy/Hannahstown

I am currently researching the Dean family of Tornaroy/Hannahstown, specifically the family of Charles Dean who married a Catherine Toland and had three daughters Catherine, Elizabeth and Margaret. I am a descendant of Catherine and would be curious to know if anyone has any information.

Also if anyone has information on the family of Patrick Toland and son James Toland, I would also be interested in knowing more information. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John Evans

Email  
Re: Deans and Tolands of Tornaroy/Hannahstown

Hello John

I too am researching the Dean family from Tornaroy/Hannahstown. My gt.aunt Mary Jane Burns, daughter of Collins Burns, Tornagrough/Hannahstown married Patrick Dean, son of Charles Dean on 7 Oct 1880. I think Patrick had a brother Hugh but cannot verify that. I do have some information on the descendants of Patrick and Mary Jane Dean but no further info on Patrick's father Charles or mother Catherine Toland.

Regards,
Noelle

Email  

Hello John
I am descended from this Dean/Toland family so contact me to compare notes.
Kieran

Email  

Hello Noelle,

I am researching my family history and one of my Great Great Grandfathers was William Evans who lived at Tornagrough.William Evans married Mary Jordan c 1850. As you may know,Collins Burns married Elizabeth Jordan on 16th Feb
1858. I think that Mary and Elizabeth were related and I was wondering if you knew who Elizabeth Jordan's father was. A further connection between us may be that William Evan's son, William Evans married Sarah Dean daughter of Patrick Dean of Ballycullo on the 18th August 1885.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Gerry Byrne

Email  

Hello Gerry,

My gt.gt.grandfather was Henry Jordan, born abt. 1799 - died l/3/1886. Married to Elizabeth ? born about 1897 - died 8//3/1875. From my research notes I see that my gt. grandparents Collins Burns and Elizabeth Jordan were sponsors in baptism to Sarah Evans b. 14/2/1857 of William Evans and Mary Jordan. So Elizabeth was most likely a sister of Mary.

As regards Patrick Dean of Ballycullo, I am not sure. I do know that my gt.aunt Mary Jane Burns (of Collins and Elizabeth) married Patrick Dean of Tornagrough son of Charles Dean and Catherine Toland. Hope this helps in some way Gerry.
Kind regards,
Noelle

Email  

Hello Noelle,

Thanks for the swift reply and the great information about Henry and Elizabeth. I too think that the Jordan girls were sisters. Collins Burns had 2 daughters, Molly Burns and her sister Elizabeth Burns who may have worked in a clothing factory. Molly and Elizabeth baby sat my mother Mary Watters when she was a child.
Molly Burns married a widowed man called Donnelly who had 2 children Helen and Austin. They sold up the farm and went to live down around the Suffolk area in Belfast.
The farm was bought by Michael Mulvenna and his wife was Ellen Dean. Michael is buried in Hannahstown Graveyard.

Hope this is useful. Keep in touch.

All the best,
Gerry

Email  

....yes Gerry, the Collins Burns you refer to was my gt. uncle Collins, son of Collins Burns and Elizabeth Jordan. He married Mary Armour l/1/1907. I keep in touch with Molly Burn's daughter Elizabeth Donnelly. We have many gaps to fill in our family tree but we keep at it!
Kind regards,
Noelle

Email  
Re: Henry Jordan

Hello Noelle,

Was Henry Jordan from Budore (Griffith's Valuation 1861-62) and did he have a son Edward Jordan who married Isabella Neeson 1868? This would make Edward a brother of Elizabeth and Mary Jordan. Edward Jordan and his family are in Budore in the 1901 census.

All the best,

Gerry

Email  
Re: Henry Jordan

Spot on Gerry. Edward Jordan married to Isabella Neeson was brother of my gt.grandmother Elizabeth Jordan Burns. Looks like we are on the same Jordan line. I will email you during the week - hopefully we can share what information we have.

Kind regards,
Noelle

Email  

Hi my grandmother was Mary / Molly Toland from Tornaroy /Hannahstown . She married paddy griffin. I hope u ancer this . Love to know more .

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com