GlenavyHistory.com will endeavour to answer queries concerning the history of Glenavy and it's surrounds, but regrets that it is unable to give any guidance on questions related to family history or provide any personal genealogical research. Please view our Links page for a list of resources for genealogy research.

Please note:
Offensive or inflamatory messages will be deleted from this Forum.

GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum

Forum: GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Hickland family of Glenavy

Hi

Am am looking for anyone who maybe related to the Hickland family of Glenavy.
One branch of the Hickland family came to New Zealand in 1876. Joseph, William, Richard and David. Their father was a William Hickland born about 1825 in Glenavy.

Email  
Re: Hickland family of Glenavy

Hi Sue - I have an "Ellen Hickland" who married a John McCann, and had the following children between 1875 & 1884:- John, Barney, Maggie, Pat, Cassie & Lena McCann at Feumore, Glenavy. I'm unsure of Ellen's parents. Cassie McCann married my grandfather, Charles Magee on 15 Nov 1905 in Glenavy.

Cheers - Gabe

Email  

Hi

Maybe your Ellen was the daughter of David Hickland born abt 1849 (Brother of Joseph, William and Richard , I do not have much on David as I have been tracking the three brothers who came to New Zealand.
Sadly with Irish records some families are hard to find.
I contacted the Catholic church here for details regarding the family and found that their parents were William Hickland and Mary Faloon and that is where I get stuck.

Cheers
Sue

Hi Sue - I hadn't previously spent much time researching Ellen Hickland, nor Cassie McCann as I'm not a direct descendant, but I'll have a look and keep you informed if I come up with some info.

Best wishes - Gabe

Email  

Hello Sue
I can tell you about the Hicklands as I am one from Glenavy and actually write to Hicklands in New Zealand. Please gave me your email address and I will tell you all I know.
Monica

Hi

I will leave my email for a short time as I do not want it landing in the wrong hands.
whitsend@xtra.co.nz

Email  

Quote: Susan Whitaker
Hi

I will leave my email for a short time as I do not want it landing in the wrong hands.
email is linked below

Email  

William Hickland married to Mary Faloon was the son of Richard Hickland and a Miss Cardwell. Richard was a Protestant who came from Portadown. I believe he came to work for the Cardwells in some capacity and fell in love with the daughter became a catholic and married her.
It seems to from my records that William and Mary had a William who married a Miss Keating, David Joseph who married Ellen Jane Mc Crory. Mary Ann who married Patrick Morrison. Thomas, Richard and James. Got some dates but must dash off now. More later if you are still interested.

Email  

Hi Monica,
I'm also researching the Hickland Family from Glenavy & would love to find out about my Irish family history. I am directly related to William Hickland who married Mary Ann Keating. My sister visited the Hickland family in Ireland approximately 30 plus years ago.
I would love to make contact if you or others are willing.
Kind regards,
Kyran.321

Email  

Hi Kyran

Your William Hickland is the brother of Joseph Hickland.
Joseph Hickland is my mother in-laws great grandfather who died here in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Cheers
Sue

Email  
Re: Hickland family of Glenavy My Great Grandfather is Joseph Hickland married to Ellen Jane McCrory

Quote: Susan Whitaker
Hi Kyran

Your William Hickland is the brother of Joseph Hickland.
Joseph Hickland is my mother in-laws great grandfather who died here in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Cheers
Sue

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com