GlenavyHistory.com will endeavour to answer queries concerning the history of Glenavy and it's surrounds, but regrets that it is unable to give any guidance on questions related to family history or provide any personal genealogical research. Please view our Links page for a list of resources for genealogy research.

Please note:
Offensive or inflamatory messages will be deleted from this Forum.

GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum

Forum: GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Marsden Family

Hi
I am interested in finding out about my great grandparents James Marsden (b. 1871) & Martha Marsden (b. 1865) and great great grandparents Samuel & Elizabeth Marsden and their connection to the railway. Grateful for any information - thank you.

Email  
Re: Marsden Family

Hi Carol
I am your Aunt Rosemary.I have done some research on the Marsden family, and would be happy to share it with you.
My email is rosengeorge25@aol.com

Hi
If you happen to have any old pictures of the Marsden family and the railway I would be pleased to put them up on the site for you if you would like to share them.

Many thanks

HI MY GREATGRAND PARENTS WERE SAMUEL AND ELIZABETH MARSDEN.
I FOUND OUT THAT SAMUEL HAD TWO SIBLING ELIZABETH WHO MARRIED JAMES BREEN (1849) AND WILLIAM WHO MARRIED SARAH ANN McCORY (MARCH 1849)
SAMUEL WAS BORN 5/5/1840 DIED 5/5/1912.SAMUEL MARRIED ELIABETH CROSSEY 21/8/1863
I SUPPOSE YOU KNOW THEY HAD FROM WHAT I COULD FIND OUT FOUR CHILDREN
ELIZABETH JANE (1867) MARRIED JOHN ROSS
JOSEPH (MY GRANDFATHER) 22/8/1869 MARRIED ELIZABETH RICE ANTRIM 1891 ANTRIM
WILLIAM JAMES 1871
EDWARD 22/6/1895 MARRIED SARAH CUNNINGHAM
I THINK ELIZABETH MARRIED ST MARY'S CHURCH SHANKILL
LOOKING AT YOU FAMILY I THINK MY FATHER WOULD OF BEEN YOUR GREAT UNCLE?
CONFUSING?

REGARDS SHEILA

Email  

Hi Sheila
Fantastic information - thank you! Yes, sounds like your father was my great uncle. Would love to hear more of your side of the Marsden tree. Look forward to hearing from you.

Email  
Re: Marsden Family (in addition to Mulholland, Lewsley, Magee & Heaney)

Hi Sheila,

I just came across your post on the Marsden's and was hoping you might be able to help me with your grandparents Joseph and Elizabeth (nee Rice).

I am researching the family side on my grandmother, Sarah Griffin (nee Mulholland) [1902-1985]. Her father was Daniel Mulholland [1869?-1910] and mother was Margaret Heaney [1869-1911]. The connection to the Marsden's comes through Elizabeth Rice, who was reputedly the sister of Daniel ("aunt Lizzie" as she was called). The main problem I have is the difference is surnames, which is very confusing. My grandmother, along with her siblings (mainly two sisters born in 1900 and 1905) were orphaned in 1911 and it seems they went and lived with the Marsden's for a while, during which time they referred to your grandfather as "daddy Joe". I recently managed to make contact with the Mulholland's in Liverpool, one of whom met the Marsden's in the late 1930s. She's 89 now so lots useful info. What she can remember is that they lived on house with an embankment, somewhere in front of Napoleon's nose (Cave Hill, although perhaps she has the confused with another hill?). They lived in the gatehouse. One of the sons went to England to lay tennis courts (hard court). She even sent me a photo, just last month of Joe Marsden and three kids sitting in the grass. Would be happy to email it to you if you like?

So, my main question would be whether you know the family connection between the Marsden's and the Mulholland's. Was "aunt Lizzie" really the sister of Daniel Mulholland? So far I haven't been able to locate a definite birth record for him, which would give his parents names, or a wedding record, which would do likewise. Apparently Daniel's mother was named Sarah Lewsley, who is also the sponsor to three of his children. She is said to have been the gatekeeper in Ballinderry. Might she be a name you are familiar with? There is also a farmer William Magee, also from the Ballinderry area, who I suspect was the uncle of Margaret Heaney (he became her guardian with her parents apparently immigrated to Australia, leaving her behind). William organised the funeral for Margaret and even left money to the children in his will.

Well, I hope you, or someone else on the forum, will be able to help with the connections and some of the names!

All the best,
Ken

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com