GlenavyHistory.com will endeavour to answer queries concerning the history of Glenavy and it's surrounds, but regrets that it is unable to give any guidance on questions related to family history or provide any personal genealogical research. Please view our Links page for a list of resources for genealogy research.

Please note:
Offensive or inflamatory messages will be deleted from this Forum.

GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum

Forum: GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
researching Sergeant Cardwell of Glenavy and Sergeant Walker of Crumlin circa 1830's or 1840's

I am researching my Antrim Ireland Ancestors who emigrated to Ontario, Canada in either 1842 or 1844. Could anyone help me with the references to two Sergeants in this passage I have found in a local history book.

"In 1842, James Morgan and his wife, Margaret Walker, second daughter of Sergeant Walker of Crumlin, County Antrim, Ireland, with their baby daughter, Agnes settled on E-1/2 lot 12, Con 2, Asphodel (Township, Peterborough County, Ontario, Canada). They were accompanied by James Morgan's 16 year-old cousin, Benjamin Cardwell, third son of Sergeant Cardwell of Glenavy, Pigeontown Lane. He came hoping to escape the plague."

This is my only clue to where the family came from in Ireland.

Does anyone have any information on these families?

Would the Sergeants have been local policing sergeants or other Military?

Where would you recommend continuing researching to find more about the Sergeants and possibly their families?

James Morgan and Margaret Walker are my Gr Gr Gr Grandparents.

Any help is much appreciated.

Beth

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com