GlenavyHistory.com will endeavour to answer queries concerning the history of Glenavy and it's surrounds, but regrets that it is unable to give any guidance on questions related to family history or provide any personal genealogical research. Please view our Links page for a list of resources for genealogy research.

Please note:
Offensive or inflamatory messages will be deleted from this Forum.

GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum

Forum: GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Frederick George Henderson: Local hero

Hello all. I've just started researching my family history and came across this great website. I am descended from the Hendersons of Dundrod and wondered how many people in the area are aware of the story of Frederick George Henderson, who emigrated from Dundrod to Tasmania, Australia (probably between 1918 and 1922) and became something of a hero. On arriving in Tasmania, Frederick joined the mounted police. After the discovery of a murdered body, Frederick was securing the scene when the murderer returned. Frederick, who was unarmed, confronted the armed suspect and was fatally wounded in the ensuing struggle. It's a gripping story and can be found from page 16 of the magazine accessible at the link at the bottom of this post.

Frederick was posthumously awarded the Kings Medal for bravery. The monument mentioned in the article was relocated and rededicated in 2010.

Frederick's father was John Henderson. I think his mother was Lizzie. When he emigrated (after the death of his wife) he left a single son, also named Frederick George Henderson, who was my grandfather. He remarried in Tasmania and had a further 5 or 6 children. The family is still going strong in Tasmania and I am attempting to make contact with them.

I can trace everything back to John Henderson, but I was wondering if anyone has any information going further back. Any information would be very welcome. Thank you.

http://issuu.com/tasmaniansagacity/docs/sagacity_no.8_1ddeba772d89c8

Email  
Re: Frederick George Henderson: Local hero

As my wife (who is much more clever than me) points out, Frederick senior must have actually emigrated between 1911 and 1913.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com