GlenavyHistory.com will endeavour to answer queries concerning the history of Glenavy and it's surrounds, but regrets that it is unable to give any guidance on questions related to family history or provide any personal genealogical research. Please view our Links page for a list of resources for genealogy research.

Please note:
Offensive or inflamatory messages will be deleted from this Forum.

GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum

Forum: GlenavyHistory.com Message Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Hunterstown

Hi Shane,

A handed down family story said that we were from Hunterstown on the shores of a big lake. I now know that the lake was Lough Neagh and that Hunterstown ( in the vicinity of Langford Lodge) was abandoned once the Americans made Langford Lodge an airbase during the Second World War.
What I'd like to know can you think of a place to find records on inhabitants, births , marriages from about 1775 up to 1842 for Hunterstown? My family is descended from Andrew Hunter who emigrated to Clarke Township, Durham County, Ontario Canada. Not sure of the year of emigration but his first grandson William Lunn was Canadian born in 1842. His mother Jane Hunter Lunn (daughter of Andrew Hunter) and William Lunn both Ireland born.Andrew Hunter appears on a C.B. Longford land lease, Ballynadenagh 1799 for 31 years. (courtesy of Heather Thompson, Crumlin)
On the Canadian census of this time Andrew Hunter lists his religion as U. of Presbyterian. I suspect that he may have been a member of the Non- Subscribing Presbyterian Church in Crumlin.
And the other thing that I'd like to know is William Lunn lists his church as Church of England once in Canada. Do you think that perhaps the Lunn's might have orginally come from England to settle in Antrim or County Down? I have not found anything on William Lunn in Ireland.(born about 1820) Thanks a bunch, Bernice.

Location: currently residing on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada

Email  
Re: Hunterstown

Hi
Would be grateful for any help.
Seeking ancestor of Thomas Hunter, Ardmore born 1793 died 1872. don't know if ther was a link with Archibald Hunter, Gartree.?

Quote: Bernice Wood
Hi Shane,

A handed down family story said that we were from Hunterstown on the shores of a big lake. I now know that the lake was Lough Neagh and that Hunterstown ( in the vicinity of Langford Lodge) was abandoned once the Americans made Langford Lodge an airbase during the Second World War.
What I'd like to know can you think of a place to find records on inhabitants, births , marriages from about 1775 up to 1842 for Hunterstown? My family is descended from Andrew Hunter who emigrated to Clarke Township, Durham County, Ontario Canada. Not sure of the year of emigration but his first grandson William Lunn was Canadian born in 1842. His mother Jane Hunter Lunn (daughter of Andrew Hunter) and William Lunn both Ireland born.Andrew Hunter appears on a C.B. Longford land lease, Ballynadenagh 1799 for 31 years. (courtesy of Heather Thompson, Crumlin)
On the Canadian census of this time Andrew Hunter lists his religion as U. of Presbyterian. I suspect that he may have been a member of the Non- Subscribing Presbyterian Church in Crumlin.
And the other thing that I'd like to know is William Lunn lists his church as Church of England once in Canada. Do you think that perhaps the Lunn's might have orginally come from England to settle in Antrim or County Down? I have not found anything on William Lunn in Ireland.(born about 1820) Thanks a bunch, Bernice.

Email  

Hi Elizabeth,
I just stumbled onto this site again this evening. July 1st, 2015. You had been looking for info on Thomas Hunter b. 1793. I don't know if it is the same Thomas Hunter BUT when I was in Crumlin, Antrim, N. Ireland (around 1996) I met a Maude Hunter who lived on a farm that fronted onto Lough Neagh, west of Crumlin. I was looking for info on Andrew Hunter. Andrew supposedly lived on the shores of Lough Neagh before immigrating to Canada around 1840. Maude Hunter told me her husband's family had descended from Thomas Hunter. If it is the same Thomas Hunter that you are looking for I know that that Thomas Hunter is buried in the Non Subscribing Unitarian Church in Crumlin. I believe this Thomas Hunter might be my gr. gr. gr. grandfather Andrew Hunter's brother. I too wondered about Archibald Hunter. I'd imagine that Maude Hunter would now be dead but I remember her son's name was John Hunter and he too lived on the same farm as Maude. Sincerely, Bernice Wood.

Email  

just noticed your message. John Hunter still lives at Ardmore Farm on the shore of lough neagh. Don't think he is interested but I have been trying to take his family back to Scotland. The Hunters in Scotland came from Hunterston on the coast of Ayrshire between Ardrossan and Largs and the original home of the Irish Hunters was also Hunterston but on the shore of Lough Neagh. As most of the farmers in this part of Ireland were from Scotland, I would be interested in what you find

Email  

Good New Year's morning, John all the way from the Great White North! Jan. 1st 2016
I haven't looked at this site for quite a while and happened upon your message early this morning. You have given me some feed on the Hunter's of Hunterstown that I didn't know. (the Scottish part) I, too, talked to John Hunter who seemed disinterested in his family genealogy. However, John, Heather Thompson who at the time I was in the Crumlin vicinity was an avid ancestry collector of records. She had a filing cabinet full of stuff and that's how I found my gr. gr.gr. grandfather Andrew Hunter's 30 year lease with CB Longford. Heather invited Maude Hunter to tea one evening and we sat and talked about the Hunters. Maude was John Hunter's mom. She didn't shed much light on the family history only that the original Hunter on the farm where John Hunter still farms was Thomas. I found his tombstone in the Non Subscribing Prebyterian cemetery in Crumlin. The cemetery is hard to see as it is behind the main drag's row of stores and it is entered through a tiny gate between two store fronts. The gate is locked but you can get the key from the hardware store across the road from the gate.
I haven't tried contacting Heather again and am not sure that I would be able to find her address online. Are you able? I did not come across Archibald Hunter of Gartree whom Elizabeth Watt is wondering about in the Non Subscribing Presbyterian cemetery but there are several Presbyterian cemeteries in the Crumlin area. All I remember about Archibald Hunter when I came across his name was that he was old enough to maybe be the generation before Thomas and Andrew.
I wonder if CB Longford's lease records are stored perhaps locally or at the PRONI? Since I am now in my late 70's it is unlikely I will be able to make it back to the Crumlin area again in my life time. Sincerely, Bernice, (Hunter) (Lunn), Wood.

Email  

Hi John again!
Forgot to tell you. When I noticed that you lived in Ayrshire, Scotland. My dad farmed in Canada. His dairy herd were Ayrshires!! sincerely, Bernice.

Email  

Hi Bernice,
Been occupied with domestic matters, hence no response to queries
Very interested that you think your ancestor. Andrew Hunter is brother of My Gt grandfather, Thomas Hunter, Ardmore. Evidence?
I have been unable to find any birth or marriage records for Thomas. He was a member of Non subscribing Presbyterian Church in Antrim. All records were lost in a fire in this church early 1900s.
Also when did you visit the graveyard, and did you by any chance take a photo of his grave. Before he died 1982, my father, (his grandson), showed my sister and me his grave and that of his wife, Mary nee McConnell. Church is now used as a sports facility and sadly there is no trace of the two fine headstones.
The late Maud Hunter was married to my uncle James Hunter, Ardmore.
It would be wonderful if you found birth records for siblings for Thomas. To date there are none. It wasn't uncommon for folk to change their allegiance to another church I.e. Church of Ireland in order to be given land leases.
Look forward to hearing from you
Elizabeth

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com