​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which of Lee's 2 albums do you like best or do you prefer his ADWD stuff?

Which of Lee's albums do you like best or do you prefer his ADWD stuff?

I like both of his albums, not sure which I prefer as a whole. I love When the stars go blue. I love all of his ADWD songs. I would like to see him do an album of all well known beautiful songs

Re: Which of Lee's 2 albums do you like best or do you prefer his ADWD stuff?

One of my favourite songs that Lee sings is Close Every Door. I love the way it shows the full power of Lee's voice.

I don't have any preference really - both albums are great and I enjoyed a lot of his ADWD performances.

I'd love to hear full-length versions of 'Bad Day', 'I Don't Wanna Talk About it' and 'Leave Right Now'. Also, solo versions of 'Oh, What A Circus' and 'You Raise Me Up' - and versions of two songs he didn't sing in ADWD (but others did) - 'This Is The Moment' and the duet 'Only You/You Are The Starlight' (sung by Ben and Keith in ADWD), with Lee singing the 'Rusty' part and John Barrowman singing the 'Papa' part.

Love them all but the ADWD songs also include the mental picture of Lee singing them as well as the actual video and that is always better with a performer like Lee.

Drops of Jupiter is growing on me now the more I listen to it. I did'nt really like it initially, but the lyrics are really good.

I don't have a preference either.
I love all the songs on both Albums, and also
every song he performed on ADWD.

His voice is just so versatile and beautiful
to listen to. He puts so much passion into
every song he sings, and the end result
is just pure 'liquid gold'.

I find what ever mood I'm in, be it sad,
happy, or stressed - I can always find the
right 'Lee Mead' song and lyrics to deal with
that particular mood.

Now when Lee perfoms he stays static and sings into a microphone. I liked it in ADWD when he used to move all over the stage, and zoomed up and down the steps. I wonder if we will see him perform like that again as he did in ADWD. Having the steps and the stage seem to be the answer for him to move like that. Maybe a lot of TV settings don't have the facilities.

I think that the 2nd album gave Lee more of a chance to sing the type of music he obviously loves himself but I have both his albums on "shuffle" on my mp3 player.

As for ADWD Lee will always be a supremely good theatrical performer. The story songs on ADWD and the big band numbers gave him the perfect platform to show his skills in commanding the stage. I'm pretty sure if he gets the go ahead for his tour it will be a mixture of the types of performances we've seen on Alan Titchmarsh and This Morning etc and the more choreographed performances of the ADWD days.

In answer to the question, I like both albums and his ADWD performances and probably Lee being able to be "theatrical" tips the balance for me but I also love a)the stillness of performances like TTB when it was all about his eyes telling the story and the gentleness of his voice, and b) the rockiness of the This Morning and ADWD performances of Paint it Black.

He's at his absolute best when he's on any kind of stage but I think he could be equally compelling if he was sitting on a stool quietly singing More than Words as he can be when he dances up and down the steps in something like Mack the Knife. That's what makes him such a versatile and skilful performer!

(with thanks ot Lotti B for the amazing painting in my avatar)

Jan2
Now when Lee perfoms he stays static and sings into a microphone. I liked it in ADWD when he used to move all over the stage, and zoomed up and down the steps. I wonder if we will see him perform like that again as he did in ADWD. Having the steps and the stage seem to be the answer for him to move like that. Maybe a lot of TV settings don't have the facilities.

The reason he does that when he's performing stuff from his albums is that he's singing. In ADWD he was required to perform the songs as if they were MT songs (i.e. acting out the lyrics as well as singing), but that's not required when he's just singing a song from one of his albums. He still conveys the emotion in his facial expressions and in hs voice, but he doesn't need to be moving around the stage.

Also, bear in mind that he had a head mic on ADWD, leaving him free to move around - but in his TV performances to promote the album, he's always had a traditional hand-held mic, which will restrict what he can do, physically. As will the size of the studios he's performing in!

i love the second album best. i also love the first one

I love the second album the best. I don't skip a track on the second one!

I also love theatrical Lee.

The new album is the one I listen to most at the moment although it did have to grow on me.
I would love to see him perform, "When The Stars Go Blue" "Drops of Jupiter" and "Time to Say Goodbye" live.
ADWDo songs are still favourites and I usually watch at least one before going to bed.
I know about all the constraints he has when singing live these days but sometimes I ache to see him pacing around the stage.

For listening, I prefer the second album, but love certain tracks from the first one. For me, the ADWD numbers are better for watching than just listening, although I do both. Knowing how he acts and sings with his whole body, makes me want to see it all.

[Broken Record Alert]I wish the BBC had put out a CD/DVD of the best of the series, as the recorded sound quality from the shows sounds pretty tinny next to the studio quality production of the albums. It just seems like a missed opportunity -- they could've done this for each of the series and made loads of money! [/Broken Record Alert]

It took be a time to get into the second album but now I adore it. Especially " beyond The Barracades" and "More Than Words" I agree some of the "Show Tunes" are best seen with action but the exception to this is "Close Every Door." By the way Johartuc I was skipping though the post quickly as we are just going out when I read Head Mike and for a moment though it said Head Lice!!!!!Had to read it again carefully. Would hate to think our guys was moving fast for that reason.!!!!!!!!

I love the latest album. I prefer it to the first one probably because I listened to that so much that the new one is a refreshing change. Same goes for the ADWD songs. Hard to pick a favourite track but I think Drops of Jupiter is up there. I love the variety in his voice on some of the tracks.

I think I like the new album better than the first album now. Really love When the stars go blue. Would love to see Lee singing it, but he may have to play the CD in the background as he's not always going to have Hayley to sing with him. Would love to have him singing it in the flesh even better.

I'll have to tip toward the second album, though I do love the first as well. I like the expresson on the ADWD stuff, and getting that TON of variety of styles. I love the visual of the movement and I always did like how he used the stage in ADWD. It was like his home and he could do with everything in it.

Then, of course there's his songs on the "other albums" (Three and Out and Connie's album) and the concert performances.

I'm hoping we get more of that before the end of the year!