​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Legally Blonde Review- late

Hey, looking at the other thread I can see that some people want reviews! I love reading reviews but I stopped posting my own as I ended up rambling on and thought people might be nodding off For what it's worth I love reading anyone's reviews- short, long, descriptive, gushing, with slight negativity (let's face it, not every performance or performer is perfect) I don't care

I went to see Legally Blonde last week. I have seen the show several times with the original cast and then when Denise was in and now I'm compelled to go back for some reason. I last saw Legally Blonde on Lee's opening night. I know some people don't like the music, but in my opinion it's wonderfully catchy and I always get the songs stuck in my head for days on end!

This time I saw Carley as Elle. Carley is my third Elle having seen Sheridan and Susan before. I thought Carley did well although I was quite aware her voice was getting weaker as the show progressed. It wasn't a surprise to see she didn't do a show that week due to being unwell. I thought Carley was confident and a fun Elle. I look forward to seeing her perform again when I'm sure she'll impress me more vocally.

I find Lee as Emmett absolutely adorable. He's endearing, funny and charismatic. I love how his character changes throughout the show. He wants to impress Professor Callahan at the start and comes across as very eager to please. Then, as his relationship develops with Elle and he sees how unfairly she is treated he becomes more assertive. Lee's singing is brilliant in the role. As he's said before it's quite intricate but he does a good job with it. His chemistry with Carley as Elle is developing nicely. There were some intense looks between them both as their relationship developed. I particularly liked their banter and the way Lee portrayed Emmett's unwavering support for Elle. He made me feel for Emmett, when Emmett leaves Elle for a moment to have a chat with Warner. I particularly enjoy watching Lee in the Gay Or European number. Such a great track for having fun and his facial expressions are priceless!

The show has other great characters and performers as well. I've taken a while to warm to Natalie Casey as Paulette, she does a good job though just very different to Jill and Denise,which is a good thing for her to put her own stamp on the role! I really liked the new Margot, Ellie Kirk, she was very sweet. I liked Tamara Wall as Brooke. I think the ensemble are brilliant in this show, they work so hard.

I personally think this is the funniest show Lee has been in and it's great to see his comedic side. I can't wait to see the show again to see the progression that all the cast will undoubtedly have. It's a fun, light-hearted, girly and camp show. I leave the show on a high which I love!

Eek.. sorry it's long! This is my trouble!

Re: Legally Blonde Review- late

Chrissi what a brilliant review, thankyou so much
for posting it. Very much appreciated.

maggiemay

Thanks Chrissi, nice review.

I too love Lee in the gay or European scene, its so funny. I've only seen it twice and the first time I wasn't impressed with the show as a whole, it didn't gel, but the second time I loved it.

I'd have loved to see Denise as Paulette, I can imagine her being very good. My daughter wanted to see her too but we didn't get round to it until Lee joined with lots to do at home.

Can't wait to see it again but have to wait until September now because of holidays. I've got 2 in the same week then nothing else. I think i'll try to go at least once more before he leaves if I can.

Thanks Chrissie loved your review it was not too long for me anything Lee you can go on all night

Thanks for the review Chrissi. I enjoyed reading it. No review is ever too long

Thanks, Chrissi! Please ramble on as much as you like.

Don't apologise for 'rambling on' Chrissi. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks.

Loved reading your review.
Many thanks Chrissi

Thank you Chrissie for a great review

Thanks Chrissi, a great review.

At yesterday's matinee, at the part where you say

"He made me feel for Emmett, when Emmett leaves Elle for a moment to have a chat with Warner.",

the audience all went 'awwwwwww' as Emmett goes off stage, so they all felt for him too.
Can I just add that yesterday's matinee audience were the best I have ever seen, they joined in with everything, had great fun and it so lifted the cast. There were several understudies on too and they must have appreciated it, they all work so hard on that show.

Chrissi-

Thanks so much for the review.

Living on the other side of the pond, I find it difficult to find personal reviews of the show or Lee's performance.

I'll be spending the first week in London, and managed to get nicely priced tickets to see Lee in Legally Blonde. I think I snagged 5 row center, and I can't wait.

I saw the show here in NYC back when it was on. And I found it to be just okay. However I did find that the producers have retooled the show since Broadway, so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes.

I loved the actor who played Emmet on Broadway, so I'm thinking I'll really like Lee in the role. (I saw Lee in Joseph and watched him on Any Dream Will Do while I was living in England in 2007.)

So again, thank you so much for your review. I can barely contain my excitement for seeing the show!

Kris

Living on the other side of the pond . . .

Hi Kris, welcome to the forum! Whereabouts are you these days? I'm in NYC and there are quite a few Lee fans all over the states now.

Punkin-

It's good to know! My BFF and I thought we were the only ones!

We haven't met anyone who actually knows who he is. Many of our friends don't travel as much as we do, so that could explain it.