​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Musicals Would You Like To See Lee In?

I was pondering this question (as you do ) and thought of a couple:-

'Little Shop Of Horrors' - Lee would make an adorable Seymour!

Imagine him in this scene - he'd be hilarious!:-

LINKY THING

It also occured to me that Denise would make a great Audrey! Imagine Lee and Denise performing this:-

LINKY THING

Re: What Musicals Would You Like To See Lee In?

'Moulin Rouge' - Lee as Christian

LINKY THING

LINKY THING

Interestingly, a few weeks ago, someone on one of the theatre forums mentioned (during a discussion about what new shows were looking to go into a particular theatre) 'Moulin Rouge'. Obviously, you've got to treat these rumours with a pinch of salt, but it was interesting that someone should mention MR rather than one of the shows that are known to be coming (or wanting to come) into the West End. It seemed very random and I wasn't the only person thrown by it. Personally, I hope it's true - I've always thought that MR would make a great stage musical!

Well I dont think there is much hope but I would have love to have seen him do Miss Saigon

Happy to say I did see Lee play the lead in Miss Saigon Maggie (Ramin was off). Impressive!!
I could be persuaded to go again though.

Ok where do I start ......?
Les miserables, Evita, ooooooh and definitely We Will Rock You!
Or, something entirely new!

Any Of these would do. I'm not fussy!

Jesus Christ Superstar (alternating as Jesus one week, Judas the next, so we'd all be happy!).

20th Century Boy, although that looks like a no go.

Les Mis (as JVJ, not Marius).

Something/anything new, where the lead is a man, rather than a woman!!!

"Les Mis" but I'd like to see him playing Enjolras, who to me is a quite complex character. On the surface he's the passionate rebel, but he's so caught up in his cause that he doesn't understand human nature, he either blanks Grantaire's feelings for him because he can't accept them, or he just doesn't notice something that's so obviously there.

Christian in "Moulin Rouge" - a great suggestion, a very romantic part with touches of comedy as well.

Benedick in a new musical version of "Much Ado About Nothing" - that's crying out to be written and performed sooner or later.

Some good ideas so far!

Another from me:-

'Matador' - Lee as the titular Matador, Domingo!

LINKY THING

He gets to wear tight Matador breeches!

There's a scene where he's in bed with his lover (it just involves a bit of kissing and cuddling, but I suppose it could be spiced up a bit for the 21st Century)!

There's lots of brooding, stroppiness and opportunities for jaw clenching!

There's a bit of flamenco dancing during curtain call!

In short, this would be a perfect role for Lee!

I saw the paired-down version of "Aspects of Love" at the Menier last year and thought how perfect Lee would be for Alex, a man who has to age from 18 to 35. On stage 99.9% as well! Time for a small, intimate, classy musical?

'Aspects Of Love' would be a great one!

Not strictly a musical but....my operatic society are doing Pirates of Penzance at the moment and I was just thinking what a lovely Frederick Lee would make.
Let me see:
Able to play naive in act one.......tick
Show a more aggressive side in act two......tick
Look good in pirate outfit of tight breeches & flowing shirt...double tick
Beautiful tenor voice.....Ooooh yes tick
Able to do deadpan comedy lines...tick

Oh well next time the Broadway version tours you never know!!!!

for me zorro oh how i would love to see him as zorrow hmmm could think on that all night

Some great ideas here, keep it up!

Grantaire and Enjolras???? Tanith I never knew there was a "thing" from Grantaire! Goodness. I just thought he was drunk! LOL
but yes Lee as Enjolras!

It's more obvious in the book than the musical - but Grantaire definitely has a little more than just hero-worship for Enjolras, who seems to be totally blind to it. Boring bit, I once did a what I hoped was a comic retelling of 'Les Mis' in verse, this is a wee snippet...

"Now Enjolras's friend Grantaire
Loved Enjolras, who didn't care,
So in despair Grantaire got plastered-
Oh, Enjolras! You callous... student!"

LOL Tanith, is that last word meant to start with "B" and end with "D"????? Very clever!! LOL

Great stuff!

Here's another one - not a musical this time, but a play.

'Amadeus' - Lee as Antonio Salieri, the court composer who is torn between his love of Mozart's music and his envy of his God given gift!

LINKY THING

LINKY THING

Oh, not keen on Salieri. Very unsympathetic character. In the film version I did not take to him very much.