​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The “can’t believe there are only 4 more Saturday matinees” show.

It really struck us yesterday when we went to yesterday’s matinee and it dawned on us that there were only 4 weeks left of Lee's run in LB.... where has the time gone.

On with an attempt at a review. It is difficult to find something different to say as the show is always brilliant. All the main leads were on. Nicola (Serena) and Stephane (Carlos) were off, the understudies did great jobs, but I do prefer Nicola and Stephane in those roles. It was a great audience yesterday,lots of appreciative whoops and cheers.

Whichever pooch was playing Bruiser was not playing ball in the first scene, he/she trotted on and sat in front of Cece??? (sorry not sure of all the girls names), then just turned his head and looked straight at the audience for a good few seconds, ears ******** then turned and looked at the rest of the cast at the back of the stage again for a good few seconds, lots of laughs there. He eventually responded to Cece's prompt and barked a couple of times.

Lee was great, of course, what else. I think there was a bit of a timing issue in Take it Like a Man during Lee's disrobing behing the screen. He was only just putting his first arm into the jacket when he had to say the line "is that the price",I am sure normally he says this when the jacket is fully on. As a result he came out from behind the screen minus his shoes. During Lee's trouser removing scene, there was a lot of wolf whistles and squeeling from the audience, there were obviously Lee fans in, and even more whoops as Lee stepped out front stage. He and Carley were grinning like mad, and they both seemed to say an extra loud WHOOOAHH!!!! When Lee went back into the booth to change back into his baggy trousers, he threw the suit trousers away with some force, way up into the air towards the back of the set.

It seemed as if Natalie has some family/friends in, as she bent down towards the front row and gave a little wave at the end of Ireland.

Lots of clenchy jaw, when Emmett takes over from Callahan in order to supervise Elle, and he melts my heart with his expressions when he tries to stop her from leaving - great acting.

I shall be making the most of the next few trips I have - I shall miss Emmett.

Re: The “can’t believe there are only 4 more Saturday matinees” show.

Ruthie you are quite right about the price he has the jacket on and looks inside

Ruthie thank you so much for your review of Saturdays matinee.
I think that Emmett is my favourite "Lee role" to date,
just like red bull "I love it".

There is quiet a big cast change on the 8th October so I am really looking forward to the "muck up" matinee.
I have been told that some of the girls are already planning a few tricks for Emmett.

I enjoyed that Ruthie, thank you.

LOL about the changing scene. The last times I have seen it, he has come out without his shoes, I think its quicker. And yes I agree that he usually had his jacket fully on when he says the price bit.

Just what will we do with our Saturdays

Joan, I love that bit too, I can hear him saying it LOL

oh, I've been ***'rd - guess what word I used, quite innocently may I add.

I just have to tell you what happened on our train journey home. Kate O'Mara - she was Lady Windermere with Lee in Lord Arthur Saville's Crime, was als on the train, about 5 seats behind where we were sitting. As usual, our conversation turned to our favourite subject, and much chatting and giggling ensued... we just can't help it, seeing Lee always has this effect, and we do try to be as restrained as possible. Kate had to pass by our seats as she left the train, and turned to us and said "there's an awful lot of giggling going on down here"! - so reminiscent of Lady Windermere, she did smile though, so hopefully we didn't disturb her too much. If only she knew what/who we were talking about

I can't think what you could have been talking about, Ruthie! I do hope Kate wasn't shocked!!

I can't believe there are only four Saturdays either . This one has been far too short. I think there should be conditions written into all Lee's contracts that he should do at least a year!

(by the way, I guessed the **** word - Mr Bravenet has censored me on that one too!)

Four Saturdays left????

I had better start packing soon . . .

hurry up LCBoniti I have put the kettle on & have the shrine ready & waiting.

I loved the changing scene - I do like a man who can get dressed quickly when necessary ;)! I don't know if Lee had anything on his feet, when I went, as I was in row A do couldn't actually see his or anyone else's feet!! Great view but only from the knees up!

Thanks for the lovely review Ruthie.
I just love the 'Changing Scene' too, it reveals a lot of Lee's...Ahem! skills!... .. like changing clothes and singing in tune at the same time - not easy!...

Hi Ruthie
Thanks so much for your lovely review. Glad you had a great time and a good audience. The audience last Thursday was a bit iffy and no Standing O I'm afraid.
I always think it's a shame if the cast don't get a roof raising reception after the Riverdance scene. They put so much effort into it don't they.
As to the delish changing scene, I always pray that he doesn't have time to stick his shoes on as I have a thing about his feet. I love to see him standing there in his black socks .

Ruthie. I was at the LB Sat.Mat too, my first visit. The loud wolf whistler was sitting near me, in the changing scene,how I wished I could whistle!

I wasn't sure about this musical, I wanted to see Lee, of course, but thought it might all be too silly & pink. Well I was wrong! What a fabulous show, I loved the humour, especially the mock Riverdance scene. Lee was ravishing and well suited to the part.

I must be the only person in the land not to like Wicked and I had such poor seats in that cavernous Apollo I could only see the top of his head most of the time. I do often view the love duet on Youtube though.

I really enjoyed Legally Blonde and our boy and urge anyone who can to go and see it while they still can.

Thanks Ruthie for the review. How funny about Kate O'Mara, you 3 giggling, no never, don't believe that .

AmandaF - Don't think you're alone on Wicked, I think it's one of those shows a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. When I saw it for the first time wasn't too keen and had Lee not been in it doubt if I would have gone again. I know a number of people who felt the same. However, I did get to like it over Lee's 9 month run, but give me LB everytime, totally love that show. Pity it's such a short run for him (and us!)

I am the other way round. Much as I have enjoyed LB, I found Wicked a much more emotional ans powerful show to watch. The songs are so powerful both in and out of context. LB is just a fun, lighthearted show guaranteed to lift the spirits. There are special Lee moments in both shows though so I am not complaining!

I agree, Cassie, you've summed it up perfectly. Apart from the emotional pull of Wicked, Lee was/is lovely in both, but in Wicked, oh boy did he have the WOW factor!!!

I agree with you you about "Wicked" Cassie. I was not sure about it when I first heard of Lee's involment but became a rael convert. I will certainly hope to see it again before Rachel leaves,

Lb> I like better now I have seen it more than once but without Lee it would be a no no for me. I find the second half much more entertaiing than the firat . Lee does play his part superbly and makes sitting through it worth while but it is not something I would go and see without him.

It feel it will be look good on his C.D to be in two succesfull musicals. Now will someone please put him in Downton Abbey or a similar bodice ripper !!!!!

Maggie, I am assuming you mean it will look good on his CV... have you forgotten about Joseph? He has been in 3 highly successful musicals!! Agree about Downton Abbey (or anything if it means he would be on TV regularly )