​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weekend Wogan CIN

Not sure if this is old news but heard on Radio 2 this afternoon that Lee might be appearing in a show for Weekend Wogan on the 30th Oct at the Savoy Theatre. Think they said details were on the Radio 2 website. Sorry can't do the linky thing !!

Re: Weekend Wogan CIN

Thanks for the heads up Janet!

Here is a linky thing with further details on the Children In Need event

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/children-in-need/2011/

Just had an email about this
link

So have I Marg. TW's radio 2 Sunday morning show is being recorded at Savoy from ticket info. Lots of other guests as well by sound of it.

COMPETITION ALERT

I don't know if everyone has already seen this (I'm probably a bit late), but here's a competition I found for 3 pairs of VIP tickets to the CIN concert plus a gala lunch at the Savoy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/children-in-need/2011/

Closing date for responses is noon tomorrow!

I have got my ticket
Now let's hope that Lee is back from his US trip in time to appear.
It should be a great atmosphere.

Is he on holiday in the U.S. or is it work ? when did he go have not seen it mentioned on Twitter

It's on Lee's twitter, in reply to a tweet from Ricky Greene.

See you there, Joan (the Savoy, not LA or Vegas! )

I'll be there too....with the binoculars as i'm right at the top, right at the back. I bagged the last cheap ticket as i'm not going to Bath.

Have entered the comp, thanks Greycat. Good luck to everyone that enters.

He'll have a fab time in Vegas, lucky thing!

I see from Lee's Twitter that he will be singing two tracks from his new album tomorrow!

Hope everyone going has a good time and I look forward to the reports . Nice that those of us who can't go the actual event can at least listen on the radio.

Have a great time all you who are going to ths event. Give him a cheer from us !

The complete show is on BBC iPlayer now:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgw59

Thanks for the link PKP.

I haven't had time to listen to the whole show but I enjoyed Lee's 'bit'. I think 'Falling Slowly' is a lovely song. When I first listened to the three song extracts from the new album on Lee's website, 'Falling Slowly' was the one that caught my attention first so it was interesting to hear the whole song. Not an easy sing for a live broadcast but Lee managed well - I especially liked the quieter bits which showed the lovely warm tones in his voice.

Of course, I also loved Anthem - and it seemed to go down very well with the audience!

Just a short review as nobody else has put anything on.

I was in row J of upper circle on the side aisle so my view was not the closest i've ever had!!!

Listing to the whole thing back on the radio website it all sounds like it flowed well and I think Lee came off well considering but at the time I was frustrated that Terry Wogan kept talking over him and interupting. He also had several facts wrong which was not good and I think he put Lee on edge tbh.

Lee arrived onto the stage with a nice little dancey walk over to the mic but got called back by Terry.

Falling slowly is so difficult to describe as I have different feelings about it as I watched it live as to when I listen on the broadcast. Lets just say i'm really excited to hear it on the album and I feel Lee will sing it better at his concerts.

Anthem was very good and impressed those who hadn't heard it but it was less strong as i've heard him sing it at some of his concerts. That is perhaps something he changed because it was on the radio, i'm not sure but it was still good and I like the broadcast of it.

There were other fans of other performers in the house and i'll gust say that by the end I did get a bit tired of the constant screaming when one particular name was mentioned.

All in all a good day, worth using my 'extra hour' for!

Had a lovely lunch in Covent Garden with a good friend after the show

Thanks Jazzy. Interesting to read how it went from someone who was there. I got he impression that Terry (who is not known for rehearsing) didn't realise that the performers had practised with the singing bit first and when he called Lee over as he was about to sing it didn't make for a relaxed interview on either side! I loved the singing but agree with you about Anthem. I wonder what the reaction would have been if he had really let rip as he does at the concerts!

Thanks Jazzy for your lovely report.

I also thought that TW didn't give Lee the chance to fully answer some of the questions put to
him - and unlike some artists, our Lee is such a gentleman he wouldn't have dreamt of speaking over TW to let the audience know more about his latest news either!...

I absolutely adore the new song, but I've also heard Lee sing 'Anthem' with a much stronger voice too...
Not really sure he's a 'morning person' LOL!
But Hey! Ho! we'd forgive him anything wouldn't we ladies?
Overall, it was a fun day and another experience of life to add to the growing list...

Thanks for your excellent review Jazzy. You have summed it up perfectly. It certainly was fascinating seeing how live radio works and it was all so amazingly laid back. It seemed very odd to be sitting in our seats while the 11am news was read, knowing we would be live seconds later. Our man handled Terry's ***** up's so well. The look on his face after being told he had just finished a four month tour was priceless
I don't think so Mr Tog Master, come on Tel, focus, focus, as Paulette says

I agree Jazzy that the "other guy's" fans were a bit on the noisy side. I have just posted on WJ that it was like sitting on the runway of a departing 747 I really think we scream a much more classy type of scream for our man

It was another special, lovely day all because of our guy. What a huge amount of fun and laughter and friendship he brings to our lives.

Thanks for the extra input ladies. Falling slowly is growing on me rapidly but i'm really looking forward to the album version!

For me the act of the show, after Lee of course, was Dionne Bromfield. At 15 she is amazing. Hopefully, with Amy Winehouse as her godmother, lessons have been learned.

Thank you for the reviews those who were there. I listened to the radio and thought that Lee sounded very usure during the first song (Falling Slowly) and am looking forward to hearing it sung again perhaps at Bath . Anthem as well as others have already pointed out was not his best rendering. Wonder if Wogan put him off. Love him anyway. !! Looking forward to Saturday, not very popular with the family as it turns out that my liitl grandson will be 2 next Monday and the family party has been arranged for Sat. oops !!!!

showgirl
For me the act of the show, after Lee of course, was Dionne Bromfield. At 15 she is amazing. Hopefully, with Amy Winehouse as her godmother, lessons have been learned.

She was very good I agree! I also liked Katie Melua and I was surprised by Joss Stone as I had not really liked her at PiP but she did rock the house!

Maggie I agree, he was very still and did sound quite nervous but it was going out live so there was a fair bit of pressure. I think he did well especially as it was the first time he'd sung it. I think I was more nervous about this song than any other i've heard him do because of that.

Thank you for the reviews - I listened to the programme live and agree with your views but thought the broadcast came across well. I love Lee's new song "Falling Slowly" - love the lyrics and the music is haunting, beautiful. Can't wait for the album release.

Chris W
Thank you for the reviews - I listened to the programme live and agree with your views but thought the broadcast came across well. I love Lee's new song "Falling Slowly" - love the lyrics and the music is haunting, beautiful. Can't wait for the album release.

Ditto! I wasn't familiar with 'Falling Slowly' but have now listened to it a few times and am totally in love with it . It's such a soft, beautiful song.

I found the original version of the song on Youtube - it was sung as a duet and is from the Irish film, 'Once' - the song has apparently won an Oscar! Here it is if anyone fancies a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8mtXwtapX4&ob=av3n

Roll on January and Lee's new album - I can't wait!

I googled it as well greycat. It is very.. ..can't think of right word ..but is growing on me. Seemed like he was all geared up to sing it then TW said had to talk to him first. Lee should have done what ..I think Joss Stone did..& said would sing first then talk but it is not him Must be getting old as found most of show annoying. 15 year old with so much confidence. Katy Melua's new song was very reminiscent of Closest thing to Crazy, Engelbert wanted peeps to sing along(although had only just arrived in country)& TOO Much Jazz.
Lee was my highlight..without being prejudiced for him.
Ok! It's because I am old

I really enjoyed the morning. Falling Slowly has been in my head since I heard it especially the chorus. Anthem wasn't the strongest we've heard it but I still think he did a great job. I must be in the minority as I didn't like Joss Stone at all!

Thanks for all the reviews. I have to agree with your comments about Lee's voice. Listening at home it sounded as if his voice hadn't 'warmed up'. I don't think it would have been noticeable to anyone if they hadn't heard him sing Anthem before.
As for the cheers for a certain other person, I loved the cheer those of you there gave for Lee when his name was mentioned at the beginning of the show.

Oh yes, we did cheer LynneD, could you hear me I had 4 GB fans sitting next to me and some in the row in front (but have to say they weren't the really annoying ones!), so had to make myself heard.

Thank you for your review Jazzy, it was nice to see you, however briefly.

I enjoyed the morning, interesting to see behind the scenes as it were. Felt sorry for Lee when he was called back for the interview when he was about to sing and, much as I love Sir Terry, he wasn't really given the chance to say what he wanted to, must have been quite tricky.

The sound on radio comes over loud and clear but in the theatre it seemed to me to be a bit muted, unless it was the unaccustomed seats at the back, lol, or something to do with it being a live radio broadcast.

Falling Slowly is growing on me and I now can't wait to hear it on cd and live in a different setting. We've all heard Lee sing Anthem with perhaps, more power, but at least he was there supporting CIN. I loved the Ronnie Scott Orchestra and particularly Katie Melua. I got very fed-up with the GB fans and felt there was no need to keep mentioning his name, especially as he didn't sing!

As for the rude behaviour by the GB fans at the end, words fail me

Yes, I found it a very interesting morning too. Considering we were in our seats just after 10.00 am (give or take!), and the show didn't finish till after 1.00 pm, the time absolutely flew by.

Apart from Lee, of course, I hadn't seen any of the other performers live before, and was really pleased at how good most of them were, even if not to my personal taste. I'm not a jazz or big band fan at all, so that side of things was completely wasted on me, although I thought Joss Stone was fabulous.

Joem, you may be right about the sound being a bit different because we were sat at the back. I've listened to some of Terry's live Weekend programmes before, and have often thought the audience didn't sound particularly enthusiastic, when they were probably cheering like mad - maybe it's the way the sound was mixed.

Now I have to confess that I am a GB fan and was looking forward to seeing him (I did know that he probably wouldn't be singing). It does make me wonder, though, if the boot had been on the other foot, and Lee had been billed as the main attraction and we'd squealed every time his name was mentioned at every opportunity, if the rest of the audience would have complained about that.

When you think that, on certain sites and threads, there are some people who have a go at Lee's fans for the slightest thing (our enthusiasm for our man in particular!), it does seem a bit unfair to criticise Gary's fans for cheering him.

Having said that, there is absolutely no excuse for walking out the way they did in front of EH, Terry etc, which was the height of rudeness and bad manners.

Thanks for all the reviews ladies. I have listened on iplayer, and it did sound as if Lee was nervous, understandably being a live broadcast. Plus Terry (bless him )insisting on talking to Lee first, when he had probably got himself psyched up ready to sing straight away, must have added to the nerves.

Not sure if my ears were deceiving me, but when the Love Tour was discussed, did Lee say there were 9 venues???

I am falling slowly in love with 'Falling Slowly' and can't wait to hear it on the album.

Hi Annie, yes I thought I recognised those cheers.
I must admit I didn't listen all the way through so didn't realise GB didn't sing.
If it's not a silly question what did he do?

Yes he did say 9, i've just listened again. We all know he's not often right with numbers so it could just be a mistake or maybe he has something tucked up his sleeve?

Lynne, Garry Barlow was just interviewed but I can't actually remember what about as I spent most of the time looking down my binoculars trying to work out what hairstyle he had!
I do wonder if his lack of singing was because he doesn't sound good in the morning. I think many singers are like that.

Lynne/Jazzy, Gary talked a lot about a concert for CIN that he is organising. I think he said it's in Manchester this year (having organised one at the RAH last year). I can't remember who is on the bill (or indeed if he mentioned them at all!) but it will be a massive gig. Thankfully X Factor wasn't dwelt upon!

Yes, Lee did say 9 concerts, didn't he! I'm assuming it's a typical Leeism!

Thanks for that Jazzy. I like your remark about GB's hairstyle!
It would be good if there were a couple more dates added to the tour. Perhaps one North of the Border for our Scottish friends.
A Liz, I've just seen your post. Thanks for the extra info.

Thanks for the thought Lynne. When I heard it was a U.K. tour, there was a small flame of hope, but alas Manchester is the closest. Whether you consider that north or south depends on your point of view!!

Gary Barlow said ColdPlay Lady GaGa Michael Buble Snow patrol would be on the concert and he was expecting a lot more names and he would most likely be singing.

Just having a first listen. The whole thing is a bit "ouch". But Lee has really worked on his lower range. Lovely song.