​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
X-Factor 2011

OK, so it's that time of year again and it's nearly time for the live shows to start.

This weekend they're showing the Bootcamp episodes (like Joseph School in ADWD...if Joseph school had been made up of cast members from 'The Only Way Is Essex' and contestants from 'Big Brother').

Having sat through this afternoon's repeat of last night's episode (which comprised of much padding interspersed with a bit of actual singing and the obligatory drama caused by the whittling down of the contestants), I've decided that it really is all about style over substance.

There's some genuine talent, but the show mostly seems to focus on the nutters, fame-seekers and deluded desperados. Such a contrast with ADWD and the other BBC casting shows, which seemed to be far more about people wanting careers, not instant fame.

Watching some of the X-Factor auditionees has reinforced, for me, just how good Lee's ADWD auditions were - and how good many of the other ADWD boys' auditions were.

Re: X-Factor 2011

HEAR-HEAR Jo couldn't agee more

Abso bloomin lutly
The chinese lady is cringe worthy & the need to impress judges with costume, tricks & stupidity is just not necessary.
I am so glad that the BBC concentrated on pure talent and not gimmicks.

I think ithas been a two edged sword for Lee. On the one hand A.D.W.D. did bring him to the publin notice,and it was a more serious show. Unfortunatly since there has been a glut of "reality shows" with a lot of talentless wanabees whuch unfortunatly seems to have made some critics land them all in the same basket.

Lee is winning slowly I think. making his way steadily As he mention before he would like a long term career not just a flash of overnight fame which unfortunatly these shows are doing.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would class Lee with that lot,he can out sing any of them

What gets me with so many of the X Factor contenders is, when they are asked what it would mean to them to win, they say they want to be famous, have their names in the paper, make lots of money, etc etc etc.

Lee never, ever wanted that side of it.

X-Factor attracts, and encourages, fame-seekers. One of the things I liked about the BBC Casting Shows was that fame-seekers weren't encouraged. I remember John Barrowman asking Lewis if he was in ADWD for the fame or for the role of Joseph - you'd never get an X-Factor judge asking a contestant if they're in the competition for the fame!

A lot of the young lads are only there to pull the girls,I remember BK saying Lee was just focused on winning Joseph,that is the difference

Amelia at Judges' Houses:-

LINKY THING

Good performance, though I do wish they'd give her something other than shouty songs to sing. Also, it would seem that Amelia is as emotional as Lewis!

Thanks Jo for that I missed her I fell asleep!!! I don't like singimg like that but I put it down to being old

Amelia is through to the live shows. No doubt Lewis will be in the audience supporting her.

I think she could do well, but if they have the 'theme weeks' they've had in past series, she'll have to be able to show versatility. One of the reasons Lee won ADWD is that he was able to adapt and perform songs with different stylings. I mean, you can't get much more of a contrast than 'Daydream Believer' and 'Paint It Black'!

A profile of Amelia Lily:-

http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/x-factor/x-factor-2011-final-16-profile-of-amelia-lily/

I find it odd that her brother would be advising her to go through the rigours of a TV talent show at 16! Especially given that he's experienced it for himself. If I was Lewis, I'd have advised Amelia to spend the next two years working on her singing career if that's what she wants to do with her life...and if she still wants to go for the X-Factor when she's 18, to do so.

Today is the first live show - and they're starting the series with a twist:-

LINKY THING

I would have thought she was doing enough for her age performing annually and going to dance school and taking part in musical theatre,she seems to know what she wants so good luck to her.

That's their idea of a big twist? Lame.

acer
I would have thought she was doing enough for her age performing annually and going to dance school and taking part in musical theatre,she seems to know what she wants so good luck to her.

I'm talking about getting out there and gigging (if she's serious about being a pop singer) for a couple of years and learning about life as she finds her own musical style. From what I can gather, she's left school and gone pretty much straight into X-Factor.

One of the reasons Lee was so good in ADWD is that he went into the competition with several years of experience behind him. Ditto Daniel. And it showed in their performances. The problem with Amelia is that whilst she is very talented, I find it hard to connect with her performances. Sort of like Keith in ADWD - brilliant technical singer but lacking the emotional depth in his performances.

Also, the X-Factor isn't a show that nurtures talent or cares about the contestants' well-being. ADWD was a walk in the park compared to X-Factor (in as much as it was about 'nurture, not torture', according to ALW), yet plenty of contestants (including the pro, Lee) had melt-downs - indeed, Lewis seemed to be constantly melting! With that in mind, I honestly don't think it's good for 16 and 17 year olds to be involved. Even X-Factor judge Gary Barlow has recently voiced his concern.

Tonight's show was a mixed bag - I'd say the strongest for me were Misha, Marcus, Sami, The Risk and Janet. They all seemed confident in their performances.

Amelia struggled a bit, but she wasn't helped by the frankly barking song choice (and I say that as someone who likes the song).

Hi JO I think we had a bit of a misunderstanding earlier I wasn't saying anything about you when you said she should have more experience I mean't all the stuff she was doing she shouldn't have gone in X Factor

Aah, right!

One thing that made me smile last night was that one of the contestants sang the Kinks' 'You've Got Me', which reminded me instantly of this:-

LINKY THING

So, after a dramatic results show, the four leavers were announced.

(Girls) Amelia Lily
(Boys) James Michael
(Over 25s) Jonjo Kerr
(Groups) 2Shoes

I have to say, the twist was really unfair and I hope it isn't used again.

Oh dear...Amelia's parents aren't happy:-

LINKY THING

They only have themselves to blame for allowing Amelia to enter X-Factor. After all, it's not as if they've never been through the TV talent show experience before.

It's natural to feel upset for your child, but I don't think speaking out publically is doing Amelia any favours. I remember watching a documentary a few months ago about parents who take their kids to LA for TV pilot season. It was an organised thing with the kids and their parents staying in a big apartment complex. They also had sessions with agents and casting people. What was interesting that one of these people (may have been a casting agent) said that when kids audition for them, they're also looking at the parents - and if a parent is pushy/awkward, that could (and sometimes does) cost the kid that job!

I missed the Saturday show (away on holiday) so I can't comment on the performances but I was surprised that Amelia was one of 'evictees' on Sunday as I thought she had been one of the favourites!

I can understand that she is disappointed and that her parents are upset for her but I agree that complaining to the press is probably not the best idea! The X Factor has been running for years so surely Amelia's parents must have realised what she was getting into when she auditioned for the show? It isn't known for treating contestants well! The show can bring instant fame and can offer fantastic opportunities for a chosen few but most contestants are chewed up and spat out without ceremony!

Amelia is very young - she can continue to develop her talent and work her way up in the music industry if she is prepared to put in the work. Leaving the X Factor isn't the end of the world.

Apparently, Heat magazine reckons that X-Factor contestant James looks like Lee!

LINKY THING

It's the hair!

I can see a loose resemblance but I think he looks more like a youg Niall Sheehy.

This week's theme was 'Love & Heartbreak'. There were some good performances (Janet, Misha, Marcus, The Risk), some bad ones (Frankie - are those tight trousers the cause of his tuneless croaking?) and some downright weird ones (Johnny and Kitty - who looks permanently angry).

The only part of James to me anyway that looks like Lee is the hair,Lee looks more of a man and to my eyes much better looking

I see Frankie got through sorry to say,I believe his father has said he has slept with 67 women and he is only 18 and I noticed he smokes that wont do his lungs much good I can't see him lasting long,I watched itv2 after and they had Chris De Burgh on he said he should stop waving his arms around and stand still and feel the song,I was thinking that is what Lee does

I think that was the right bottom two, though I'd have preferred Frankie to go. I have no idea how he made it this far in the competition. Gary Barlow seems to think the boy has charisma, but to me he just looks like a scruffy little git who needs a bath and some slightly less tight trousers!

I think his dad's comments go a considerable way to explaining why Frankie is the way he is. Very sad, but the poor boy clearly never stood a chance with a father who thinks it's big and clever to a) be promiscuous and b) start being promiscuous from a very early age.

I think that the thing with Lee is that he can actually sing, so he doesn't need to leap around the stage when he performs (unless he's in a WE show and the script calls for it ). He also knows about working the cameras. When he performed on ADWD, he gazed right into the camera lens and connected with the audience at home. Of course those enormous and expressive eyes helped immensely!

I'd like to see Lee being drafted in to give the contestants some advice on stagecraft - at the moment, quite a few are struggling to get to grips with that.

I agree with everything you say Jo and of course Lee has got a great Dad,I can't understand Gary Barlow being so estatic about Frankie I thought it was just me thinking he couldn't sing but there are so many people that agree I just hope he doesn't win,I would love to see Lee giving them some tips

One of the contestants who got as far as Bootcamp breaks her gagging order:-

LINKY THING

It all sounds plausible. However, I think Shelia might have gotten her wires crossed over a couple of things. She mentions some of the contestants getting preferential treatment, however one of the contestants she names (Janet) is under 18 and would have been subject to the laws governing the working hours/conditions of minors. Hence her getting her audition at Bootcamp done earlier in the day. Ditto Amelia and (I think) Frankie.

I do think it's disgraceful that contestants were just put into a room and left all day without food, drink or access to toilet facilities. However, I can understand why the X-factor people would want contestants to stay in one place - it must be a nightmare trying to keep things running smoothly when there are so many people to deal with. I think there's a combination of incompetence on the part of the X-Factor people (sorting out packed lunches with the hotel and making sure there is access to toilet facilites at the Bootcamp performance venue isn't rocket science) and naivete on the part of contestants (who think that once they're through to Bootcamp it'll be luxury all the way).

There's another account of the Bootcamp Experience from a 2007 contestant which is a much more colourful read and makes Bootcamp sound more like Prison Camp!

LINKY THING

OMG what a read Jo I have never heard anything as bad as that how do they get away with it? I feel so sorry for a youngster who has never been away from home before young and vulnerable they would be in bits no wonder some of them are nervous wrecks by the time they get on the live show,I will never see that show in the same light again thanks Jo

Oh dear - seems there's a lack of discipline in the ranks:-

LINKY THING

Perhaps the X-Factor bods need to give their contestants a mission like this one:-

LINKY THING

...and give them more work to do:-

LINKY THING

Seriously, though, I think it's a bit harsh blaming the contestants for a dip in ratings that has a number of causes - not least the stupid twists and endless ad breaks! I don't even think the contestants are weak - Misha, Janet, Marcus, Sami and The Risk are all decent performers (and Sophie was good in week 1). Where I think the problem (re: contestants) lies is in many of them lacking self-discipline. Unlike ADWD, where pretty much all the contestants were trained professionals (and a couple actually worked in the business), and where they were encouraged to work hard, the X-Factor seems to attract less disciplined individuals (mainly because many lack professional training/performing experience), which in turn leads to a generally poor work ethic. Hence we have people like Frankie who are only in it for the fame and aren't really interested in putting the work in! Which is a shame for those that are and do!

They are dropping the value of the winner's recording contract:-

LINKY THING

The penny finally seems to have dropped for Gary Barlow:-

LINKY THING

It was never going to work, putting people through to the lives who just wanted to be there for the girls/boys/partying. They want the Rock Star lifestyle without having to put in the work, but in a TV talent show where they're expected to learn new songs every week (at least two, plus the group song), new choreography for that week's songs and have sessions with the vocal coach, they have to put the work in or they won't be ready for their performances on Saturday/Sunday.

Aside from the discipline issue, I think there needs to be a vocal coach on the judging panel. Zoe Tyler may have been a bit gobby, but she knew her stuff and wouldn't stand any nonsense. She was able to critique the HDYSAPLM/ADWD contestants' vocals in an honest way and work with them during the week on any vocal issues, so there was a noticable improvement from pretty much everyone week on week. I think she would be great on X-Factor - I'd love to hear her assessment of Frankie Cocozza's vocals!

So...this week was Rock Week! An odd choice since the majority of this year's contestants aren't rock singers. That being said, we had some good performances - Misha B, Janet, Marcus and Rhythmix all delivered the goods. Kitty's performance was OK, but once again, it was all about the staging. Johnny made me laugh (in a good way) with probably the most technically difficult song of the evening, but why, oh why, did they not give him an OTT outfit to wear and sort him out with some contact lenses? He looked like an accountant who'd spray painted his suit and found his way onto the stage!

As for Frankie...someone should teach him to sing! Oh, and while they're at it, pull his pants up! Seriously, the baggy crotch is annoying! I think someone also needs to point out to Gary Barlow that you can get away with 'Rock Star' behavior when you're a successful rock star, but in a teenage boy it isn't big or clever!

I have gone off Gary Barlow saying how he lied about Frankie that is not a bit fair because he should have gone I know he was his mentor but if he thought he was bad he should have said so,I don't like baggy crotch either or baggy ROTY which some of them seem to have

Last night it came down to a sing-off between Sami and Kitty. Personally, based on the previous night's performances, I think it should have been Sami and Frankie. However, Sami and Kitty it was - and Sami was the stronger performer in the sing-off. Without all the smoke and mirrors, Kitty's voice was exposed. Based on the sing-off, I'd have saved Sami.

Blimey, we have drama behind the scenes!

Firstly, judge Kelly Rowland is ill (and stuck in LA) so she won't be on this weekend's shows.

Secondly, one of the members of The Risk has decided that he doesn't want to be in a group, so has left...and is being replaced by one of the members of Nu-Vibe...the group that was booted off the show two weeks ago!

LINKY THING

Utterly bizarre!

So tonight's theme was Halloween...and it was a suitably scary evening!

We had a stand-in judge for the absent Kelly - former X-Factor winner Alex Burke. I'm not sure a stand-in judge was really needed, but at least Alex knows what it's like to be a contestant and she seemed to hold her own.

I liked quite a few of tonight's performances - Misha, Sophie, Johnny, Janet, Marcus and Little Mix (their make-up and choreography were fab). Kitty's staging was great as usual, but I still find her vocally a bit shouty and lacking light and shade. Frankie just seemed to play up to his 'bad boy'/'ladies' man' image and unfortunately, the staging couldn't disguise his mediocre vocals. I felt sorry for The Risk. Not only were they dealing with a personnel change within the group, they were also given Thriller - a song that, without the amazing vocals of Michael Jackson and the fab video, just doesn't really work.

Incidentally, I wish Gary would relax a bit - he always looks so tense and moody. Chill out, man!

Tonight's results show continued the overall series theme of bizarreness, beginning with guest performer Cher Lloyd wandering onto the stage dressed as a Christmas present!

Then we had the results - Sophie and Misha in the sing-off! Which begs the question, who on earth is voting for Manky Frankie? I honestly don't get his appeal. I don't find him in the least bit funny or entertaining!

The judge vote continued the bizarreness with sick judge Kelly giving her vote via live phone link!

It was farewell to Sophie, with Misha being saved.

Blimey, X-Factor just gets classier every day!

LINKY THING

The X-Factor bods should be cracking down on this sort of thing. It's turning people off the show.

Umm, as you say, very classy Jo! Where was a certain 'Nana' when she was needed.
Not really a big XFactor fan, but have it on in the background till it gets nearer the end, when hopefully the performers are better! Have watched a bit closer this time though as Frankie lives in 'my neck of the woods' (don't know him) but there seems to be something in the local paper or radio about him every few days from either his friends (who say he likes girls...yes, we had noticed!!)and his Mum or Stepdad saying he's a good boy and used to go to the local drama group! Perhaps singing classes would have been better Apparently he has 250,000+ followers on Twitter so I suppose their votes and GB's fans votes keep him in the competition.

Simon is worried about the sales of this year's X-Factor charity single, so he's drafted in some previous contestants to help boost sales:-

LINKY THING

That really doesn't say much for this year's contestants!

Oh, and in other news, this weekend is a double elimination!

Please let Frankie be one of them,I think the trouble is young ones about 13 and 14 are voting for Frankie I read in one of the papers he has a massive following,what they see in him I do not know

Another odd night - is there ever any other type of night in this series of X-Factor?

My performances of the night were:-

Misha
Marcus
Little Mix
The Risk

Johnny brought a smile to my face, as usual. He has such enthusiasm and it's nice to see some humour in a performance. He always gets out there and gets the job done.

Frankie appeared to be wearing a vest that had been mouldering under his bed for a couple of months! As for his performance - ! You can get away with poor vocals if you're enthusiastic, likeable and can actually put on a show. I find Kitty a bit odd, but she always puts on a good performance and gives the impression that she's putting 100% into the performance - she can also sing! Frankie, on the other hand, just looks like he can't be arsed. If he can't be arsed, why should the audience be?

So, tonight was the night of the double eviction. The contestant with the lowest number of votes was announced (The Risk) and they had to leave. The came second and third lowest in the votes (Johnny and Kitty) who had to endure a sing-off....

At this point, I just want to pause proceedings to ask.................WHO ON EARTH IS VOTING FOR FRANKIE???

....so, back to the sing-off, which I really enjoyed! Both Johnny and Kitty were brilliant, so it was difficult to choose. In the end, the judges based their decision on which contestant was most likely to have a viable pop career (which is fair enough) and chose to save Kitty. Much as I'm happy for Kitty I'm going to miss Johnny. He was funny, entertaining and had a positive outlook. I hope he gets some good career opportunities out of this!

I think the end of each X-Factor episode is a bit anti-climactic! I miss the casting show farewells with removal of items of clothing by the remaining contestants while the evicted one sings! The casting shows really knew how to make the just booted off contestants feel even worse.

"Right, your dreams have just been shattered on live TV in front of 6 million people.....now SING (while the other contestants remove your coat, leaving you clad only in a skimpy vest)!" I bet Simon Cowell wishes he'd thought of that!

Frankie has been booted off the X-Factor!

Allegedly for breaking a 'golden rule'!

LINKY THING

Good. Glad to see the back of him.

The sad thing is, as well as letting himself and his supporters down, he has done someone else out of their dream by blowing a once in a lifetime opportunity. In week one, where the judges got rid of one act, that poor boy in Gary's group must be gutted - that's not saying he would have won, of course, but at least he would have had the chance to show everyone what he could do.

I have never liked Frankie from the start, and was
waiting for him to get voted off. The trouble now
is I think he was probably used by Xfactor from
the beginning to make the show more interesting. He was probably in a mess before he entered the
Xfactor but I now worry for him, he has had a taste
of the good life for a few weeks and I hope he
doesn't go completely off the rails now he has
to adjust to real life again. He is still very young
and I sincerely hope he gets the support he needs
from his family.

I think the Xfactor have behaved badly in this
situation and I also have lost respect for Gary
Barlow, after all he was his mentor and could have
reigned him in and took more control of the situation.

I have just read that there is going to be a public
phone vote tomorrow between the first four that were voted
off by the judges on the live show, so I would
guess that Amelia Lily will be coming back seeing
she has the most followers and that she has been
kept in the public eye by Xfactor since she left.

Personally, I think that's ridiculous! I think it's unfair on the remaining contestants (who've been through five weeks of competition). The whole thing is a complete farce! Apart from anything else, it leaves us with the very real possibility that someone may win the series who only came in half way through.

No doubt Amelia will be the 'chosen one', but if they really want to put one of the four who were booted out in the first week back in the competition, I'd prefer to see James go through.

1 2 3