​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chess

I was reading a thread on one of the theatre forums about people's favourite songs from the musical Chess. I was reminded of the song 'Pity The Child' (which is sung in the show by the American chess player). I'd love to see what Lee could do with it - his acting would really come into play!

Here is 'Pity The Child' from the Chess concert a couple of years ago:-

LINKY THING

Also, here's 'Anthem' (sung by Josh Groban):-

LINKY THING

I think 'Anthem' can (and often does) turn into a belt-fest. It's one of those songs that some singers seem to think they have to sing at FULL VOLUME, JUST IN CASE SOMEONE FIVE MILES AWAY CAN'T QUITE HEAR IT! Personally, I prefer a bit more light and shade. Lee sings it so expressively, yet manages to put that ooomph into it where the volume and power is required.

Re: Chess

I love the music from Chess. The show itself is difficult to pull off as it is quite long and has lots of aggressive arguements in it. However really loved the Craig Revel Horwood production which toured earlier this year. Did anyone else see it?

Have listened to a few versions of "Anthem" still like Lee's tethe best > No suprises there then !!!!!!

I had intended to go and see the recent tour of Chess when it was at my local theatre but, in the end, I was too disorganised and never got around to getting the tickets!

It's a shame as the show has some lovely songs (including Anthem of course). There was talk a while ago that the tour might transfer to the West End but nothing seems to have come of that?

I think the plan was to bring Chess to the West End after the run in Canada.

If they do bring it to the West End, they'll need 'names'. I think Lee as the Russian and Ramin as the American would definitely put bums on seats!

I believe Ramin is committed to "Houdini" which opens next year and and which he is co-producing.