​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
O/T The Choir : Military Wives

Hi guys

Don't know how many of you have been watching The Choir : Military Wives with Gareth Malone on BBC2 (worth a catch up on iPlayer if you haven't seen it - it's only three episodes and very moving stuff). Anyway, the lovely ladies have recorded their song from the Royal Albert Hall 'Wherever You Are' and it is being released as a single on 19th December by Decca. The proceeds are going to charity, split between various military charities, I think, including Royal British Legion and SSAFA Forces Help.

Chris Evans has been championing them on Radio 2 and there are various campaigns to get them to Christmas No 1 - if you do get chance and feel so inclined, please think about downloading the single when it's available. I have to say I didn't like the song on first hearing, but have heard it about three times now and it's a definite grower as I now love it and can't get it out of my head.

I have a bit of a personal interest in this as my choir leader, Sam, was on the last programme of the three. The ladies decided they wanted to suprise Gareth with a song to say thank you and contacted Sam to help them learn it - she was the one conducting them when they sang 'Thank You for the Music' to him near the end of part three. She had a long chat with him (which didn't get shown) and now has contacts for him and has offered to work with him if he ever wants to do anything else with community choirs in Devon! I may yet get my chance to meet him!!

Claire xx

Re: O/T The Choir : Military Wives

I loved the series, in fact I have watched all the Gareth series over the years. This one was particulary emotional though. I loved the song and have found it sneaking into my head over the past few days. Interesting info on the conductor who helped the ladies surprise Gareth.

I meant to watch this programme but, being a bit disorganised, I forgot about it until the third episode! It was lovely to see the choir at the Royal Albert Hall with Gareth. Very emotional! I'll try to catch up with the first couple of episodes on i-player.

I hope the single does really well.

I also have enjoyed watching The Choir episodes, i think we tend to get them a little later over here in Australia, so will have to watch out for this one, Gareth is a lovely guy isn't he, everybody just loves him.

Thanks for the info Badredruby, I hope the single does well and for telling us of the involvement of your choir leader.

I love watching Gareth Malone, like you Cassie, I have watched his series since they first appeared on TV. For some reason, can't remember why, I missed the first programme of The Military Wives and haven't yet had a chance to catch up.

I was privileged to be at the RAH for the afternoon performance of The Festival of Remembrance and saw them perform the song for the first time. It is always a very emotional occasion especially when the war widows are featured, some of them are so young. It was lovely to hear the Military Wives sing and see Gareth in action, they had a deserved prolonged standing ovation.