​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Story of Musicals

Did anyone else atch this programme on Channel 4 tonight (Tuesday ).

They had just started on the LLoyd Webber musicals when it ended but apparently it is continued next week so recon there is good chance of getting a glimpse of our man.

Worth a look anyway as it was a most enjoyable programme

Re: The Story of Musicals

I watched and enoyed it too Maggie. Will be tuning in next week.

Saw this, on BBC 4 not Channel 4 btw, and enjoyed it. First of 3 parts. ALW featured obviously with JCS and the went onto Evita - Joseph was between those I think but didn't get a mention. Tonight's programme ended with the split of ALW and Tim Rice and ALW starting to work with Don Black. Hopefully Joseph will get a mention if they cover the BBC shows about finding new stars. Continues same time 9pm next Tuesday.

Had intended to watch but fell asleep! Will give it a try next week.

Good programme with lots of interesting detail. They passed over Joseph and went straight on to JCS but I suppose it wasn't put on as a West end show until later on. We will only see Lee if casting shows get a mention. Otherwise it will be Jason Donovan as he was first.

I saw it on BBC4 very good I shall be watching next week

I agree, a very interesting programme - looking forward to the second part next week...

Loved it, can't wait to see the other two episodes. Thought the early pics of ALW and TR were great. I thought they both looked really dishy

Sue Reynolds
Had intended to watch but fell asleep! Will give it a try next week.

Sue,

The programme will be repeated on BBC4 a few times if you want to catch it - it's well worth watching! It's repeated tomorrow (Thursday 5 January) at 11.00pm and twice on Sunday at 7.15pm and 11.00pm.

I really enjoyed the programme. It was interesting to hear about the earlier British musical successes although some are rarely seen now, i.e. 'Fings Ain't What They Used To Be' and 'Oh What A Lovely War'. 'Oliver' is, of course, still a great favourite. I felt sorry for Lionel Bart who was never able to repeat his success with Oliver and bankrupted himself with 'Twang'. No-one seemed to have any fond memories of that show!

Also interesting to see a very young ALW and Tim Rice. The ladies interviewed seemed to have aged better than the men though I didn't warm to Elaine Paige who I have always found slightly annoying.

Enjoyed the programme very much, looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. Hopefully Joseph will be included at some stage and we might get a glimpse of our special Joseph as well as Jason or Philip

Thanks for the details of the repeats Greycat. I'll try to catch it on one of those days.
Sue, hopefully you'll be able to see it too.

Following the programme was one called 100 years of the Palladium, or something similar and that featured both Jason and Philip about Joseph. Also Connie from when SOM was on. It was an interesting programme too.

thanks for this! I'll be catching up tomorrow on the first episode

Just bringing this back up as a reminder. Part two tonight- 9pm, BBC4.

No Lee again tonight . Anyone know if there is a part 3?

What a brilliant seris this is, i'm so enjoying it. Time was the first musical I ever saw in the West End as a surprise from my then boyfriend (who is now OH). It brought back so many memories. I only wish i'd seen some of those other amazing shows they mentioned tonight.

Third and final part next Tuesday. Looks as if Jason Donovan is featured so see what that brings.

Just bringing this back up. Final part tonight BBC4 9pm, "Andrew Lloyd Webber embraces television to find new stage stars" so you never know we may get a treat.....

Thanks. I have seen two adverts for it today. Shame its the last part.

Sat through an hour with baited breath and they showed "How Do You Solve A Problem" and then finished !!!! Otherwise an enjoyable programme.

I kept looking at the clock thinking they're going to run out of time and then the snippet of Maria and not a mention of the others! I know Connie was the first but surely Lee has had a longer lasting and CONTINUING success!! How many of the others are about to release their very eagerly anticipated third album?!! I did enjoy the series but it was a shame not a chance to see Lee.

The thing is it wasn't about Lee, it was about musicals. They used Maria because it was the first and set an example of TV casting shows in general.
Having said that, I did the same, looking at the clock, comparing where they were and half way through the bit with Connie I realised that we weren't going to see Lee. I really loved the series though, it was very interesting.

Seems an appropriate place to post this -- it's an old review of Joseph from 2007, but it only just came up in a search today!

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/review.joseph.and.the.technicolor.dreamcoat.light.entertainment/11699.htm

Relevant quote:

"Lee Mead is also faultless in his performance - charming and demonstrating a real talent for understated comical expression. If I were to compliment one thing only, it would be casting such a perfect actor for the main role - thanks to the British public. I don't think anyone could have taken the lead better than Mead."

Reviews like that of Lee never get old. They are like a fine wine they get better and are to be savored.