​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
O/T Queen's Jubilee

You either like the royal family or you don't!

The only time I saw the queen close was when I was a girl and she came to Grimsby to open a new extension to Grimsby docks. I was standing on the pavement outside the office where my mother worked. The big car came round the corner fairly slowly and there she was with the duke. She flashed us all a wonderful smile and I have always remembered what beautiful teeth she had, really like pearls. Little did we know then that my Mum would end up many years later working at Buckingham Palace for the duke! But that's another story.Anyone else got a close encounter to tell us about?..

Re: O/T Queen's Jubilee

Still hoping for some comments?

Sue, thats a lovely story. She must have made a real impression on you to have such a vivid memory. I've never seen her, or any member of the royal family. When your mum worked for the duke did you move to London?

Well Sue, I've never had an encounter with British royalty, but I'll have one with Belgian royalty next Tuesday!
Our crown prince Philippe is coming to visit the company where I work, and as we are a very small company with only 40 staff members, and me being the management assistant, I am involved in the preparations fairly heavily... During the reception at the end, there is a chance I'll get to shake hands with him
In the meantime, the stress is building up ...

Gail, when my Mum started at the palace I was already working in London as a librarian in Walthamstow. So was able to visit my Mum in the palace (as she lived in) many times. She had a nice room at the top of the front of the palace with a view down the mall.But never came face to face with the royals there as there is a system of back stairs and corridors, this was to give the family as much privacy as possible.

Sue, thank you for telling me that. Very interesting and to have a view down the Mall! Its fascinating to have a peek at what life is like for those who work in the Palace.

Could tell you loads more but seems not many people interested..

I am interested.

I am interested as well Sue, pehaps you should write it down ? Nearest I have got was when one of my sisters and I won tickets to the Golden Jubilee palace party. A day we will never forget

I am interested Sue but I have only seen the Queen and Phil passing in a car and at Ascot but you are so far away at Ascot,do it like a review and anyone interested can read it cheers x