​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Album - what do we think? Favourite track?

"What's this, his second, third? I dunno but I'm lovin' it!!!". (with apologies to Emmett & LB)
I'm patiently waiting for my earthquake signed copy but decided to download it as well and so glad I did!! Think this is the best of the three albums, not a bad track among them. Still can't choose a favourite even though it's been on a loop for the past 24 hours. "She" I love cos it's in my favourite film, Notting Hill when Hugh Grant walks through Portobello Market- could really see Lee doing that on a video for the song. Better and Sail Away are also high up there as well but I can't choose an outright winner. Just have to go and listen again I suppose, more research needed!! Carry on enjoying and here's to Southend tonight. All loved up for him

Re: The Album - what do we think? Favourite track?

Good idea for a thread! Love the first line, got it straight away!

My fave has to be Fix You because I can relive it from bournemouth everytime I hear it, it was amazing to watch!!

I also really like Sail Away but I love them all!

Has to be 'Fix You' for me as well, I just love it. Am rather over excited as we are setting off for Southend in a couple of hours, my prayers have been answered and all the snow has thawed at last, cannot wait as have not seen Lee live since 'Wicked', the new cd arrived today too so it will be on in the car all the way, lovely!

Have a lovely day Clare, sounds perfect (Lets go down to the Oz dust ballroom ) Sorry couldn't resist.

Hi Clare have a safe journey and see you at Southend!!

I also have a different favourite every time I listen
I love 'She' though it wasn't one of my favourite songs before. I love 'Better', loved it by Boyzone but love Lee's version more. Of course I love 'Anthem' though I think I would prefer it if the orchestra pulled back a bit so Lee's voice stood out more, as when he sings it live.
Fabulous album, the best yet!

MargW - thanks for solving my puzzle! I couldn't think who else had sung "Better" and I knew I liked it by them but loving Lee's version!

Definitely his best album yet! Really cohesive sound and I think he's finally found "his" sound.

Hard to pick a favorite as others have said. I think it's between At or With Me, She, Sail Away, and Hallelujah for me. But I love all of them.

Must say Ian Tilley and Mason Neeley did a sterling job producing these tracks. The arrangements do a great job of complementing Lee's vocals without stepping over on them, but feel fresh and dynamic.

Loooving it!

MargW Iam glad you said that about the orchestra being loud I thought the same but didn't know if it was just me because I am sure I have heard him sing it with just a piano and you do hear his voice so much better,I haven't been to a concert yet so I hope his band don't drown him out but they didn't at the concerts last year

I've listened over and over since I downloaded it yesterday morning. Mmmm, favourite? Difficult as I love them all but if I had to choose I think it would be........... Sail Away, he sings it beautifully. I agree with those who said its his best album yet. Love it!!!

Just listened to the Album for the first time, Blown away with how beautiful he sounds. In fact when he sang She I could feel tears welling up (feeling a bit emotional today) So looking forward to Cardiff,
Now to listen again !!

On my first few listens my favourite has to be Fix You. I especially love the way he sings the last couple of lines. The whole album is just beautiful.

I wasn't able to listen to the whole album until late last night. I have to say that his voice is incredible.
I wondered if I would like She as I always associate it with Charles Aznavour but not any more - Lee sings it beautifully & makes it his own.
Difficult to pick out any one song but I love Fix You & after Anthem I felt like standing up & applauding. I'll have to control that feeling - especially if I'm driving!
A beautiful collection of songs. Thank you Lee.

Sorry!...just can't pick a 'favourite' - I love 'em all...to bits!!!!

I don't know what others feel? but I reckon
'At Or With Me' will soon become an 'audience participation number'
When we all learn the words that is!...LOL!
It's so 'catchy'...

A truely 'FABULOUS' Album...
Thanks Lee...

Just managed to listen to my cd after getting back
from Southend.

What a really beautiful album, so far my favourites
are: Anthem, Fix You, Your Song, Hallelujah,
At or With Me, I Believe. Oh ok all of them.

I have finally managed to get through it all without getting 'stuck' on various songs which I loved so much that I kept repeating them. I love them all but have some favorites at the moment (quite a few, actually). My absolute favs are The Garden and I Believe, followed by Falling Slowly, Fix You, Hallelujah and Anthem, followed by all the rest. Really a wonderful album with such great song choices. Can't wait for the next one (greedy, I know!) It's just so exciting to see what he comes up with if the choices are left to him rather than being dictated by the record company. And well done to the two producers as well (and the cat, obviously).

My favourite is "Anthem" and then "Sail Away". Not keen on one track.

I really can't pick a favourite! I've narrowed it down to a few, in no particular order (well, the order they come on the CD, for simplicity's sake

Sail Away, Better, Falling Slowly, Fix You, Hallelujah & Anthem.

However, my choices are changing all the time. One of my original front runners was The Garden, but this has slipped down the charts, as it were (not that I don't like it, I do!). I wasn't overwhelmed by Better when I first heard it, but now I love it.

Let's face it, I love them all!

I agree that this is definitely Lees best album. Like a lot of you I'm finding it hard to pick one favourite,but am loving The Garden,Sail Away,Fix You and Anthem.
I just love Lees voice and I think these songs show it off really well.

Today is the first time Ive had enough time to sit and listen the whole way through without children interrupting and after 4 back to back listens my favourites are The Garden (but it is one of my fave Take That tracks too), She, Fix You and Anthem. There arent any that id skip over though.

The albums just get better and better though

xx

I think this is definately his best album! Only problem is everyday a different favourite

"At or With Me" is my current fave. My only quibble? It needs a fun, sexy, honkytonky video to go with it!

I like that one as well PKP

He has so much fun with 'At or with me' live, PKP! Real fun to watch him do that one. And it provides some light relief as well in the set, good up- tempo number.

FINALLY got my CD ... FINALLY got a chance to listen to it ... FINALLY able to contribute to everyone else's views!

Firstly, I must admit, that I was taken aback by the warm fuzzy feeling this album evoked in me! I was SO hoping I'd like it and I DO; it's in a completely different league to the other two (which, if I'm honest I never play)

My dislikes and likes, then *big deep breath* (I'm doing it round the other way so as to end on a good note!)

Have to say I don't like 'She' at all, but then I'm old skool and I remember the original (and I didn't like it then either) .... and what's happened to his diction in 'Alleylooya'!!!!!
I may very well have a duff CD but I can barely understand a word he's singing! (Sorry Lee!)

Not over wild on 'Falling Slowly' either ...

When I saw him in Southend he sang a completely out of character song, which I absolutely LOVED, mainly because he had SO much fun singing it and I thought at the time "I bet that's not on the album ... and IT IS! And surprisingly, it's 'At or With Me'!
O!O!O! Yes, it is! Simply it! And I have been found, sitting in the car, in the drive, for at least another 10 minutes after I've got home, just to play it one more time! teehee

Lovin' 'Fix You' & 'Your Song' and the others I'm liking very muchly!

Apologies for not being around much but real life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes, and apologies too, if my views are a bit controversial, I know it's an appreciation site, but ya can't love everything all the time.
9/10 and a gold to the Meadster!

... over and out.

Good review ! So glad you have finally got your copy, the wait must have been agonising.

I'd like to comment on your two less liked songs if I may. 'She' was the one I liked least at first and I don't really like the original and I thought it was a bit old fashioned but now i've listened a few times, I really love it. If you listen its like Lee worshiping the female, its a lovely tribute to our species

And Hallelujah......well....I have to admit, and this was kept top secret at the time, but I acquired the promo music via an undisclosed source well before the CD was released or the songs were aired on the radio and this song was on it.

This song best listened to late at night or at least when you are sitting down in a quiet room. Tap into your sensual/sexual side and really listen to how he says the words and you may get a different opinion of it. Its actually a very naughty song and I find it rather . So much so that I only listen when I can 'listen' and not when i'm driving or houseworking. Its a very special song to me and very thought provoking. I hope I am not being too risque for the forum, I have carefully selected my words

If anything Anthem is the one I skip at the end. I think this is because we have heard it lots of times but also I find it a bit toned down. I know he's done this to be in keeping with the other songs but I do love the way he belts it out at the concerts and hearing it tamed doesn't quite work for me. I love the rest

I have to say I agree with you Jazzy 100%. I was going to say that some of the words in Hallelujah have replaced a particular line in Collide as my favourite bit to listen to. Naughty but nice. She, I also thought was a bit old hat but now I love it. I like the complexity of the middle section which must be so difficult to sing. Mostly I just love the sound of Lee's voice on all the tracks. He sings so honestly and sincerely.
Fix You is still my absolute favourite. I love it turned up loud at the tears stream bit.
It is a joy to have new Lee songs to listen too. I felt for you with your long wait for the CD Mouse.

Jazzy & Cassie, I know just the line(s) you're referring to in Hallelujah. When I get a new CD I read the lyrics through in conjunction with listening to it (one exception on Love Songs, of course, where the wrong lyrics are printed!), and PHEW! when I read that particular bit .... Mouse, try listening again and read the words at the same time.

Have to say She is the one I least like, too - but maybe part of the reason is that I haven't heard him sing it live - then again, I've never liked the song anyway. Fix You is, I think, my favourite now.

You must have a duff copy, Mouse. English is not my first language and I really struggle to understand some lyrics unless the vocalist has excellent diction. But I had no problems understanding the words to Hallelujah (I love how he pronounces that with a proper H); no problems understanding 'that' line either, no need to read the lyrics.

I didn't care for 'She' too much at the start but I've come round to it now. Still love 'I believe' the most. And I do like the understated version of 'Anthem'; the concert version is great but I don't particularly need the big sound when listening to the CD.

I had a Mouse-type experience in the car today when my sister refused to get out of it until we had played 'at or with me'. Not that I particularly objected to this; I love singing the chorus to that one - loudly!

Talking about a Duff CD, i am not sure whether i received one or not.I started playing the CD, and after the first song it started singing very quickly, then would stop and play normal then it would start again,scrambled . I noticed there where a couple of scratches on the cd, so I have had to order another one because wasn't sure whether it was my CD player or not. So i am now waiting for the other one to arrive, and have a proper listen.

Mouse go into the living room, close the lights, "sit" on the couch and play the song in headphones. Listen to the lyrics and let the music take you.

Aww Suejo you must have a faulty CD. Get in touch with the supplier & get a replacement asap.
I lurrve this album.
There is not one song that I don't like.
The Garden is a grower. (no pun intended) but the more I hear it the more I like it.
Sail Away Hmmm I love the way he sings "hunny"
Your Song I was worried about this one as it is a popular karaoke song. But Lee's simple stripped back version is perfect.
Better is one of my favourites,It is special to me & my OH
I Believe simple & emotional.
She again not a favourite but I do like Lee's version
At or with me An upbeat fun song that suits Lee's personality.
Falling Slowly, I wasn't sure when I 1st heard it but once it gets inside your head it's on that you can't stop singing
Fix you. No need for words
Hallelujah. I never really got this song before. Other versions have been either to intense or to poppy but hearing Lee sing it seems to bring out emotions that have been buried for many years.
Anthem I love to hear Lee sing this live & I love the album version

So all in all in my opinion this is Lee's best album so far.