​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Symphony Hall Birmingham review

It seems like forever and a day since I’ve seen Lee, though it was only November in Bath. On that occasion he gave an early run out to some of the Love songs that were to be on his album. The difference between those stripped back performances and Sunday’s fully accompanied renditions in such a huge venue, was massive.
As always I will just waffle on here, trying to convey how he makes me feel. It can never be quantified by words, but I know you all kind of understand! It won't be in chronological order, just my random thoughts as they come to me:

The venue, all modern -swish with its plush seating and wooden floors, was just a delight. I was so proud of Lee and what he has achieved . I sat there trying to look casual. Nodding at the lady next to me who was very friendly (Vicki S?) but not really replying much due to a strange sensation somewhere in my heart and lung area! I was so nervous, so full of anticipation, so eager for the concert to begin and never end.
As the music began I darted my eyes left and right, straining to catch sight of him as soon as possible...which side will he come on from?…which side will he come on from? …which side? , which side? , which side?……
Being used to the teasingly long intro to Paint it Black, I had barely had time to register what intro was being played before Lee sprung his first surprise of the evening and entered from a door centre stage . He was suddenly just there, Lee Mead steaming towards us at full pelt, greeted by a swell of cheers as the realisation hit.

I can never get used to that first glimpse of him.
It just knocks the breath out of you as you greedily try to take in every tiny detail, perching on the edge of your seat and straining to see him from top-to toe. It’s like sensory overload, heart going skitter-skatter, brain registering on rapid fire ….Hair! Cheekbones! Eyes! Smile! Hands! Neck! Oh! Oh! Oh! All accompanied by a voice that surely came from heaven.
This is a man I see so frequently (okay, daily!) in pictures online and yet nothing at all prepares me for Lee in the flesh. And oh, he looked mighty, mighty fine: Sharp cut charcoal- grey suit that fitted him oh so snugly. Navy blue shirt with burgundy –ish tie, and a burgundy stripe (or was it a handkerchief? Looked too wide for that) along the breast pocket of the jacket.
Those trousers!!! Oh wow! Little left to the imagination. Was that his boxer line along the thigh? Glorious waistband that graduated into a little belt of material snaking across to the left and tucking into the belt loop there. Waistcoat with a perfect V at the navel, and a chain (Oh swoon!) leading from the buttons to the side pocket, Lord Arthur re-visited. The jacket had a double pocket on the right side, one above the other, and, Hells bells!, …. he was wearing shoes so shiny they glinted and spangled under the lights. They caught my attention early, those patents, and held my eyes for far longer than a pair of shoes should!! (Gucci apparently) Crazy to be studying shoes when there’s that exquisite face and he’s singing for all his worth, but it was hard to look away!! They kept changing colours under the flashing lights…. reflections of amber, then green, then blue, as Meady shuffled and strutted to the first number.
And shuffle he did! He was just so happy to be there, and this spilled over into a great rendition of ‘Crazy little thing called love’. He tapped his toe and then dug his heel one, two, three times, before spinning, spinning, spinning , punching the air, moonwalking and grooving to the beat, and all the while his glorious voice just filling you up entirely, until you swear you are about to explode.
He held the last note hard and strong and that soft pouch of skin just under his chin trembled with the vibrato of it. I love watching his throat do that- a fascinating combination of power and softness.

As always Lee’s gratitude for all that he has achieved was to the fore. He recalled his audition as a fifteen year old ( ‘You had to be sixteen but I was persistent back then…I jumped the train because I didn’t have any money’) when he had walked in with his music all ready. Lee then burst into song to show us what he’d done that day; ‘Love is a many splendoured thing…..’ It was such an unexpected flash of his voice, and so incredibly loud, that it made me jump , and it seemed the auditorium might split in two from the power of it. He told us they shouted ‘Next!’ after that first line, and he mimicked how he had sloped off.
He seemed genuinely blown away by the venue he was now playing in, particularly as his hero Tony Bennett had sung there. He laughed that his first tour had seen him play Skegness and now here he was at the Symphony Hall. Looking up to the first row of balcony seats he asked if anyone was up there and was delighted to find that actually there were people in the next level up too! At one point he seemed to well up when he thanked us for coming along. He acknowledged times are hard and that we’re in the middle of a recession , ‘and the fact you come along to see me sing…’, he draped himself across the mic stand , sighed and shook his head as if he can’t quite understand why we do it. He also said he never knows when it’s going to be his last job and suggested his next gig might be on station street, whereupon he bent down and mimicked busking , shaking his imaginary cap for our small change!

There were two other times of real emotion I recall - after one song he stood stock still, eyes closed, smiling softly. When he suddenly snapped out if it he told us he was thinking about his wife and then said he was just too sensitive sometimes ‘Man up, Meady!’, he berated himself.
And then, just before ‘Bring him Home’, he told us that now he is a father the song holds much more resonance for him. His rendition was so touching. Was it the lights or did I spy the sparkle of tears in his eyes? It was the most exquisitely beautiful account of a song…haunting in its delivery, with that final note held unwavering and the entire audience holding its breath, suspended motionless, all eyes glued to Lee.

I absolutely adore Lee’s latest album, but I must admit to wondering whether the understated nature of some of the tracks would be ‘lost in translation’ on such a large stage. I need not have worried. I don’t think I have ever heard Lee’s voice so clear. So big. So many times my companion and I would just look at each other and say ‘Wow!’ He genuinely shocks me sometimes with what he can do with his voice. No other person has ever affected me so much with a song.

‘The Garden’, with its gentle tinkling on the CD, was transformed into a real bruiser of a song, Lee’s voice gliding with ease through the melody. In Bath he had breathed his way through this song. Today he just blew it away. And that was true of every number.
‘Fix you’ saw the only Meady-mix up I was aware of. He asked to start again after the second line, saying he was in a different chord. He told us he couldn’t hear himself in his earpiece. Starting again, he pulled off an outstanding performance of the song. Nothing fancy or overstated, but somehow just so utterly beguiling that you wanted to cry and you weren’t sure whether it was from joy or sorrow. I adore how Lee can convey the emotion of ‘Love’ in its many guises- paternal love, unrequited love, the deep despairing pain of heartbreak and the immeasurable joy of love fulfilled. Lee the storyteller. So, so talented at that.

‘Music of the night’ was unexpected. I have deliberately avoided looking at any set- list for this tour and it was such a treat to hear this. Whispery -deep at the start, Lee’s voice gave way to full throttle power and the expression on his face was divine. He stared so intently into the expanse before him, reaching out his hand, and I so wanted to ‘see’ what he was ‘seeing’. On the line ‘touch me, trust me….’ his fingers fluttered to his cheek and gently traced downwards for a fleeting second, making me emit a silent squeal. There was an underlying sinister tone to Lee’s persuasive words in this song, a dark quality which was just delicious. He gave me chills once again.

However, the award for killer song of the show, for me, has to go to Gethsemane, the song Lee told us that he had practised over and over on his room as a young lad. Well, the practise seems to have paid off in spades, Lee!
I saw his first performance of this in Kilworth and I wasn’t convinced he could ever equal it. Shame on me for underestimating this man! This had a slightly different vibe - less desperation, more anger possibly- but was just phenomenal all the same. His face told the story just as well as his voice, so contorted with emotion I could hardly bear to look at him. He held his upturned hands out on ‘take away this cup of poison…’ and his plaintive voice literally pleaded for salvation. If there’s a world record for sustained goose bumps I surely broke it during this performance. It is relentless that song - it rips out your insides and stamps all over them. I think it’s the quiet phrases that lull you into a false sense that it’s all over, but no….the song builds again as you sit there so helplessly and witness a man surrender to a destiny he doesn’t want. Lee gave every single ounce of himself to that song. Every sinew of him straining with the effort of it’s delivery and the emotion that it required.. His eyes flashing hatred to the sky, his venom and despair seeping out. He walked off stage at the end, a well –deserved break awaiting, and I cried my eyes out as I watched him go, make up all over my hands. I missed the start of Louise’s song as I tried to compose myself.

Louise was outstanding, both in her own songs and the duets. Her voice, as others have said, compliments Lee’s superbly. She has a similar dramatic edge to her performance as Lee, and their duets were simply gorgeous. When Lee returned to the stage to join her he moved as though pulling himself along on a rope with his hands. Slightly random!
I just love ‘Falling Slowly’ and to see Lee sing it to someone rather than about someone was lovely. His thumb, which seemed to incessantly be stroking his microphone stand during his ‘still’ numbers, was busy on Louise’s skin during ‘As long as you’re mine’. He clasped her wrist, cast his eyes downwards and smoothed his thumb over her arm. There was some frantic clutching at one another towards the end of the song, the air heavy with passion …which Lee promptly broke by giggling and saying they find it hard not to laugh when they sing that song, especially as he was stood in a suit holding a microphone! He said that’s the good thing about musical theatre , the costumes and the set and being mic-ed up make it easy to get into character.

Speaking of ‘character’, Lee’s was in evidence throughout the show.
He danced with sheer abandon during Kiss. He peeled off his jacket stripper-style during the intro, then carefully folded it and put it on the piano. No longer quite so self conscious as he once was (although he still shudders when talking about his dancing) he just let himself go during this song, milking the crowd and enjoying the reaction. At the end he struck a familiar pose, crouching one leg in front of the other, knees bent deep as he drove his fist forward , teeth on top of his lip in a semi snarl - ‘Bam!’ I swear his trousers were at splitting point at that moment, stretched taut across his thigh and hip. After, he strutted back to centre stage in a comical ‘muscle man’ type walk, shot a glance sideways to the crowd and said ‘that’s all you’re getting!’ and laughed (spoilsport! ) He patted his tummy, ‘my six pack isn’t what it used to be!’.
This may well be due to his obsession with food!! He asked us if we’d enjoyed the interval and whether we’d managed a sneaky roast. He said he was devastated that he’d missed his today and when the audience laughed he said ‘No seriously, it’s like a religion for me!’. The timing of the show meant that it was too early to have a roast before the show and not enough time after the sound check. He’d obviously considered popping out and bolting one down, bless him! He does make me laugh so much!

For the second half Lee changed into a reddish- brown suit with white shirt. The exact same elegant cut and classy material as the first half half outfit. Same shiny spangly, sparkly , pointy, Gucci shoes!! His curls, currently quite long, stood out starkly against the white of the shirt collar.

‘Any dream will do’-Lee reported that he had tried to drop this and had had a few complaints! The brass players took the mick, copying the crowd by waving their arms and then going on a little parade across the back of the stage. Lee laughed and then jumped off the stage for his own little saunter into the audience. Back on, he climbed the steps at the back of the stage, and prowled along the platform until he reached centre stage. I was reminded of Joseph for some reason- when he used to go to the back of the set and swirl his coat around.

Dancing eyebrows and cheeky grin during ‘At or with me’, such great expressions to match the quirkiness of the number. The second time he sang ‘Oh, baby those are such great shoes’ , he pointed down at the pair he was wearing , and grinned!

I do love Mr Mead’s whirling and spinning, but I also love those numbers where everything just centres on him. The songs where the band seems to fade to the background and all that there seems to be in the entire universe is Lee and a mic and a song to break your heart. At these times, his movements are miniscule, but no less powerful. Those clenched –jawed moments, and the almost imperceptible movement of the first two fingers of his right hand which seem to twitch slightly against his trouser leg as he sings. The repeated lazy half smile that flick so frequently on the left side of his mouth , there for a second as he thinks of someone or something, and then gone. I could watch him forever and a day.

During his bow, Lee looked out at his adoring audience, basking in the standing ovation he , Louise and his band so richly deserved. ‘Wow!’ he mouthed, just as he had done on his final night of Joseph. On that night he had promised us ‘I’ll see you again soon’ and I just hope that he had the same thought in his head this time round, because the opportunity to see Lee Mead in concert again can’t happen soon enough for me. I love him you see!

Re: Symphony Hall Birmingham review

Wow Toni, what a review. I wish that I could express myself so well ... and notice so many details (!!!!). Thank you so much ... now I need to read it again and get lost once more in the emotion of the night! (I was in Liverpool only, but it's close enough)

Lovely review! I felt I was there almost!

Just Brilliant Toni - you have such a way with words. I admire your talent.
The way you have described the afternoon at the Birmingham Symphony Hall, and our Gorgeous Lee, has just brought tears to my eyes...and along with many others, I shed quite a few of those during the concert too...
Such a wonderful, wonderful evening, one never to be forgotten, and you have captured it all so well...
Thank you, that was a lovely 'read'...

Aww, an inspired review, Toni! Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share your thoughts.

Great review Toni - so descriptive and vivid!

Thanks so much for that terrific review Toni.

Toni, thank you so much for that. You have excelled yourself! I relived every second of Sunday afternoon reading it.

Fantastic review, thanks so much.

WOW Toni. What an amazing review. Your attention to detail is awesome. You put me right back in my seat reliving every second of that fabulous concert. Thank you so much.

What a fantastic review Toni, you remember every little detail, I was there and didn't notice half the things you did. Thanks so much, one to keep and read over and over again.

Toni - I read your review late last night and I was lost for words.
An incredible review. You capture every detail perfectly.
Thank you. xxx

Toni, how do you do it??? Absolutely brilliant review (as ever)!

Thank you Toni, brilliant as ever x

Why am I writing this? I have read so many brilliant reviews that I know my writing skills could never match. Also my memory is rubbish. Oh well….a few thoughts anyway!

I feel really privileged to have been at the last concert in the tour. It certainly was something special. The venue itself was jaw dropping. The foyer seemed much more welcoming that the Barbican despite being very large but when I walked into the Symphony Hall itself, I just kept gasping at the sheer size of the place. What was different was the way it went back a long way behind where the performers stand for full orchestras and choirs to fit in. It was shiny and modern in decoration and I think its vastness was the cause of a few emotional moments for Lee.
When he rushed onto the stage, surprising us all by coming in from the back, it was clear he was going to take the venue and audience and wake them up instantly. He struck a pose with a huge beam on his face before rushing down to start CLTCL. He just commanded the stage totally and looked so at ease performing it was a joy to watch.
As he continued through the set I just sort of wished that time would stop. I am always so happy when watching him I almost become hypnotised!
The quiet numbers were very affecting but when he got to the big MT numbers he just blew the place away. You could have heard a pin drop in BHH and Gethsemene, and the reception when he finished each of those seemed to affect him almost to the point of tears. There were plenty of tears in the audience too. The combination of Fix You and Gethsemene was almost too much to take I found.
He has made that speech about thanking people for spending their hard-earned money to come and see him at many of the concerts I have been to in the past, but this time he seemed to become emotional and overwhelmed again.
There were many comedy moments too. My particular favourite was when he asked if we minded him pausing to drink in the whole place and occasion because as he said “I might never get to sing here again. My next gig could be New St. Station” He then mimed busking and begging for money!
I loved the way he came down into the audience twice right in front of me both times. I always worry I am going to pass out with shock when he does that! He is just so confident now. At one point he waved at the circle and said he wished he could fly up to see them and went through a whole list of flying characters …I can only remember Superman and Peter Pan. There was a whole lot of love in the room that’s for sure.
Louise sang brilliantly too and the duets were superb. How anyone can sing ALAYM with him staring intently into your eyes is beyond me, acting or no acting!
The queue for the signing was huge. It seemed to move quickly with the lovely Phil calmly organising and taking photos. Last time my camera was on the wrong setting and my photos were all blurred. What is it with me!! This time I had a strange bar thing in the display. OMG why wouldn’t it work. Kept trying to take photos but no luck. Surely I hadn’t messed up twice. Oh dear next but one in the queue. I handed Phil the camera and told him it was a waste of time as it wasn’t working and went to have a little chat with Lee. He was lovely as usual and was laughing about being kept awake the night before by an opera singer in the next room to him. I turned back to Phil who told me my camera was set on video! What an idiot I am. Anyway bless him, he had videoed my little chat so all was not lost.
I met so many lovely people so hello to anyone I talked to over lunch, beforehand in the foyer and in the queue. I hope I will see many of you in Worthing or some other time soon.

There is one of Lee’s songs that I want to sing back to him whenever I hear it:

“No matter what the day is, with you here, it’s BETTER”

It certainly is!

Thanks for adding your thoughts, Cassie! Sorry about your camera giving you trouble, but that's good that Phill got it sorted lol.

Toni and Cassie Thanks for your reviews. Toni- How do you remember such detail? I love him too, but I could never remember such details without writing it down.

Well, this time I got there (Liverpool that is), and it was fabulous, my bad luck missing out on the Barbican (due to Belgian and Eurostar railstrikes) was soon forgotten. I am not going to write a review, as nothing can top Toni's detail, just brilliant Toni! I relived Liverpool reading it. Back home in Belgium, but my thoughts remain behind at the Liverpool Philharmonic...

Oooo...Cassie, I just loved reading your review on Birmingham too...
'Hypnotised' is a word you have used...and how true that is...Most of us cannot even move a muscle especially during songs like 'Bring Him Home' 'Anthem' and 'Gethsemane'...
and as you have said too, there is total silence throughout...It's really mind blowing!

Thank you so much Cassie for your great review. I'm just drinking up every single word people are writing. Looking forward to seeing you in Worthing. I'll bring the pics I took of you with Lee at the signing.
So glad you had a fabulous time Belgianleefan.

Thank you Sue. That is very kind of you. After my pathetic efforts with the camera, I got it sorted and took a couple of (not very good) photos of Lee with 2 of the other White jeans ladies but I have to grovelingly tell you, I didn't get one of you. :-( So sorry. Maybe I might be calmer and more organised next week at Worthing Don't hold your breath! The spirit is willing but the man is there!!!!LOL

Toni and Cassie thank you so much for your fab reviews of what was such a very special time.

I thought I had come down off but reading this has taken me back up there again

Cassie, I am useless at taking photos, I seem to end up with the back of someones's head or an arm holding a camera

Thanks Cassie for reporting our magical Sunday at Birmingham. Glad I made it still feeling really ropey, but living for Worthing now

Kirsten, just seen all your fab photos from Birmingham. I thought you had a good vantage point from where you were sitting!

A wonderful review Toni, and yours Cassie!

You know the moment when Lee was saying thank you for coming. then he seemed to catch his voice, someone behind me shouted 'You're worth it!' and that made him just put his forehead on the mic for a few moments, well Me and the PIC had a good view of him at that time and I think we all lost it for a few moments...

It was an exquisite concert, and your review captures that - thank you x

I so remember that moment. It was very moving.

I do believe the person who said that was sat in front of me, and if that's the case it was someone from this forum. I was moved by that comment , and then choked by Lee's reaction. He really was just suddenly so overcome by it all and so obviously grateful for our love and support. I just wanted to give him a hug and tell him that he more than repays us by what he gives in return.
(Well...ok, I always want to give him a hug, but at this point the urge was even greater than normal! )

Edit: Thank you Toni and Cassie for your amazing reviews. (I thought i'd commented already but I can't find it now)

That person that shouted was in the row in front of me, along towards the aisle. I remember that she had fair hair about shoulder length but I didn't recognise her personally. That's not to say that she isn't one of the forum members as I probably only know a fraction of them. She was definitely a fan of Lee as she was sat with a friend and they exchanged a few words aobut each song. Someone in that row also took the video of ALAYM that surfaced on youtube because the screen was in my vision.

I loved the comment, it fitted so well to what he had just said and it prompted lovely applause.

Perfect review for a perfect concert Toni!! Well done for remembering all the great details which remind us all of just how fabulous One Man can be!

Thank you too Cassie for your memories.

Well done both of you.

I never saw you there Jazzy! You can't have been far away from me. Nearly always catch sight of you for a wave, but not this time. Guess that's what comes of such a big venue.