​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Love tour, Bristol Colston Hall. Feb 23rd.

10 days after the event and I feel inspired to write about this concert as it was like no other! I think it was always gonna be a special one for me as for a couple of years I have wanted Lee to come to my hometown of Bristol. A 40 minute bus journey was novel after traveling on trains, tubes and coaches in the past to see him! I met my two friends Liz and Michelle in the city centre. Now Michelle saw him in joseph and has since swooned over various pics/clips of him I put on facebook. Liz is very coy when it comes to revealing her crushes but when she came with me to the Birmingham gig in Dec 2010 she remarked that he was 'easy on the eye'. Believe me, you take that as a compliment from Liz! I knew it would be interesting going with these two, although, I always feel a little 'lost' without my usual Lee buddies- Jazzylou, Joan, Petrus, Debbie and Woozie to name a few...I feel like we are like little props for each other on a rollercoaster of a night.

As you know Lee opens the show with the Queen number. Nothing will ever top PIB for excitement but this song is a fun ideal way to kick things off, I just love his dancing. He dances like he doesn't care who is watching, you can tell how much he loves his music. I felt a bit disapointed from the off that the Colston Hall hadn't sold more seats, I'd been wanting him to come to my home town that I'm so proud of for ages but that night I couldn't help feeling that we'd let him down a bit. Oh he was defiant though, this fighting spirit with an 'I don't care' attitude seemed to surface and he handled it beautifully. He made jokes of the empty seats and it really didn't matter, it was as if he was saying- do you know what, we are going to have an amazing night! That vast hall that night quite quickly became an intimate affair, the audience were very interactive and he clearly loved that.

I had reservations about this love tour, I wondered if the vibe might be a bit samey and if I might be desperate to hear some uptempo numbers. I needn't have worried. I think it was the perfect mix. he has the lighter fun songs like 'at or with me', 'Kiss' and DDB, but they are combined with romantic songs, not slushy, not sickly, just romantic and sexy. It's the voice that makes it, but also 'him'! just him.....understated, cool, effortless, and every cover he sings does not sound like a cover! how does he do that?! He sings from the heart and little else is needed, just a few choice instruments.

I think CED was outstanding, some say he started with such emotion and even a bit teary. I didn't notice this despite being near the front. When he talks about his next song being from Joseph I think perhaps I am bored of them- that can be said for ADWD but each time I hear CED it's like it's the first time. We all know that for all his MT numbers he does this thing at the start where he gets in the zone, we are all aware of it, like he's saying- ok, lets bring this down, do not disturb..I'm there....it's such a powerful thing to watch, it demands total silence and gulps inside of you while you sit there, tense, knowing something special is happening. Liz whispered at one point and chuckled- 'love how he gets into character' I didn't answer of course...you just don't while he's starting a musical theatre song! hehe.

Anthem used to be a highlight for me, still is in fact, it's always going to be special live but I now think that Gethsemane fights for the crown. I feel honoured to hear it, the fact that he has 'saved' it all this time. I'll admit I know nothing about the musical or the song but it is fantastic! Starts off serious, sort of moody, but it has a really catchy hook as it builds tempo and loads of attitude. Lee has loads of attitude singing it, it's him laid bare! when he hits that really high note, it is something else! I remember thinking, where did THAT come from? this was my first time hearing him sing this, he was absolutely perfect. among the applause after Liz said- cor, he needs to play that part doesn't he eh?!

I really enjoyed support from Louise. I am a big Wicked fan so it was lovely to see her as Louise up there. Of all Lee's lady guests, Louise just fits! I have to say that 'falling slowly' is probably my least fave on the album but she worked well with Lee. I was so pleased to hear ALAYM! interesting to see lee and Louise instead of Rachel. I just loved the way he looked at her as she sang her verse. They definitely have a connection and the way he was taking her in, well, with just the right amount of tenderness but he was undressing her with his eyes..just a little bit! Halfway through the song, there was one particular bit that got me, a particularly intimate bit where they locked hands- that first date hand holding where fingers are interlocked. Is there anything more sensual? phew! it felt almost a bit voyeuristic to watch. That's their fine acting for you.

My friends had already told me about 'fix you' and how it was the highlight for them. I like Coldplay but I am not mad on the song so I was reserving judgement until I saw it for myself. Now I know what my friends mean! they couldn't explain it, I can hardly either! The song ticks along nicely but it's not until you get to the 'tears stream' bit that the song reaches another level. Lee hitting those big notes, such epressions, lost in the music, not particularly looking pretty, just looking how the music has him looking while giving those big money notes his all, totally lost in it...if a song were lovemaking then this would be it's....peak. And he knows this!...

I think apart from 'fix you', 'geth' and CED my highlight was 'I believe'. It has to be my fave on the album. when I heard it's debut at Bath I was smitten, smitten with that pretty melody and the gorgeous man singing it. Lee does it total justice, it doesn't need frills, fancy production. I was delighted when lee came on at the end with just mason on acoustic. Nothing more is needed for that song. Beautiful. It melts me. Everytime.

I know I've left a lot out but I've told you about my highlights. Overall I cannot fault this gig at all, I don't know what has happened in the last few months but Lee suddenly oozes more confidence and has taken it up a gear in his stage performance. He has attitude, he's sexy, note perfect, if something isn't quite right his comedy timing sees him through, what I love about him is that he doesn't take himself too seriously, but when he needs to, he does. He has this perfect balance on stage. This is the best tour I have seen him in. It's changed the way I see him. That night at Bristol is still under my skin....and I love it

Re: Love tour, Bristol Colston Hall. Feb 23rd.

Thanks for a great review Coofy.

Wow! Great read Coofy. Thanks for a fantastic review. Much appreciated as I wasn't at that one.

Fantastic concert, and FANTASTIC review Coof x

Great review Coofy!

Wow! Amazing review! Thanks so much.

I loved reading your review Coofy. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Lovely review Coofy. Glad to hear that Lee was not too didspirited by the lack of audience, he made up for it in Birmimgham. Perhaps the Bristol gig was too near the Cardiff one.

Great review. I wish I had your way with words.

Thanks for a fabulous review Coofy. A really great read.
Like you, I was looking forward to a big Bristol turn out on our home ground. I saw the Beatles twice at the Colston Hall back in the 60's. The second time, when they were at their peak, they were protected from us by a wire screen right round the stage in case we stormed them and flung ourselves at them. I screamed and hollered so much, along with my school friends, that I couldn't speak for a week! I must be honest and admit I was MORE excited about seeing Lee in Bristol !! I didn't scream and holler quite as much this time but only because I wanted to hear what he was singing and saying With the Beatles it was like a Jumbo Jet taking off and we couldn't hear a single song
BTW, when I saw Ramin Karimloo at the Colson Hall with his concert last October,he only played to a small house. Far less than Lee. Such a shame, as it was a fabulous evening.

Wow Coofy, what a fab review. Thank you. I would feel the same if he came to my home town.

Thanks SueC, interesting about the Karimloo concert.

Thanks for the review!

Bristol was my first concert on the Lurve Tour and I loved it . Colston Hall is a huge space to fill (I think its capacity is about 2,300) but I thought there was a fairly respectable crowd there for Lee - the front stalls seemed to be full and the rear stalls were maybe a third to a half full. Certainly, there was no shortage of enthusiasm from the audience for Lee's performance!

All in all, I attended three concerts over that weekend (Liverpool and Birmingham as well as Bristol) and have very happy memories of all three but I think Lee was chattiest in Bristol. I remember him laughing about his dancing after Kiss, saying "It's like watching your Dad dancing" and that, in 14 years time, he can just hear Betsy saying "Dad, you are SO embarrassing!!!"

He was in great form vocally. Bobby Gould, who had interviewed Lee on Talksport radio a few days before, was at the concert and tweeted afterwards that Lee had the "best voice I've heard in years". High praise indeed!

Roll on the summer concerts (since I can't make it to Worthing!)

Coofy , thanks for marvellous review.Sorry the hall was not fully booked but he has to keep trying.

Woohoooo, Fab review , Coof! Glad you finally 'get' singing Lee!! You used to be so blase about his concerts, but I guess not anymore. Rolllllllll on the next batch of concerts, eh?

Been without my computer for awhile, so only just caught up with your lovely review Coofy...
It was great to relive the Colston Hall Concert again this morning...
Thank you