​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Weekend' Lee in Daily Mail

This isn't really anything to get too excited about, but it's really sweet. It's a narrow, one column piece called "My Tube" in the Weekend supplement of today's Daily Mail. It's mostly illustrated with pics from the TV programmes mentioned, with one pic of Lee (a fairly old one, I think) at the end.

Singer and stage star Lee Mead, 30, lives in Kent with his wife Denise Van Outen and their daughter Betsy, who'll be two in May.

"My dad, Stephen, has been a postman for 30 years, and from the age of four I was obsessed with POSTMAN PAT. I'd watchit and say 'Daddy' I was so into the show my parents even bought me a black and white cat, wich I called Ricky.

"THE A-TEAM was a huge factor in my life from the age of about eight. George Peppard's character Hannibal was my favourite because he planned everything. I remember having a toy Hannibal figure, and being distraught when his leg broke.

"When I was 14 I was convinced I was Kevin in the American comedy series THE WONDER YEARS. Like him, I was infatuated with a girl for years. Her name was Katie and when I finally asked her out she said no. I was absolutely crushed.

"I was about 15 when I got into HAPPY DAYS. The Fonz was cool, but, better still, it introduced me to music of the 50s and 60s like Frankie Valli and Ricky Valance. I'd like to put a 60s set into my solo shows, but I think I'd get booed!

"Denise and I don't have much time for TVm but we saw the first series of DOWNTON ABBEY on a box set. I like Maggie Smith, Denise loves Hugh Bonneville. We're on series two now."

I wonder how Katie feels now!!!

I'd love to hear him sing the 60s stuff, I don't know about anyone else?

Re: 'Weekend' Lee in Daily Mail

It also says "Lee supports Great Ormond Street's Million Disney Memories campaign www.milliondisneymemories.co.uk "

Thanks for posting that AL. I tried to look at it online but couldn't enlarge it unfortunately.

Oh yes, I would be up for a bit of 50's or 60's from Lee. What about some Everley Brothers....Dream, Dream, Dream or Til I kissed you would fit the bill nicely!
Any more suggestions?

Thanks A/Liz that is great,I bet that Katie is kicking herself now!!!! I would love some 60 music much better than all this whispering stuff you get now

Cassie, I used to love the Everly Brothers and went to see them several times (with my mum and grandmother!!!) when I was young. On one famous occasion, I was outside the Stage Door (obviously started this habit at a young age ), where we'd been told we could send in our autograph books for signature (no chance of them coming out to sign), when there was a bit of a skirmish and I realised I was standing next to the Rolling Stones! They had opened the bill - it was their very first tour - and had come out to meet the few fans that had come to see them. And did I get their autographs? NO!!! If I had, that programme would have been worth a fortune now, as the late Brian Jones was there.

I also loved Gene Pitney and Roy Orbison and their dramatic songs, and would love to hear Lee sing some of them, particularly Gene Pitney's "I'm gonna be strong".

Wow! Great story Liz. I went to the NME poll winners concert where the Arolling Stones were topping the bill. Only trouble was, it over ran and we had to leave before the end to make sure we got home!

Thanks, ALiz! He's just adorable and funny.

Thanks A Liz!

Postman Pat!

I bet Katie's really kicking herself now!

I loved 'The Wonder Years', but there were times when it was sooooo sad!

I'd love for Lee to do some 50s/60s stuff. A bit of Buddy Holly? Everley Brothersd? Elvis? For some reason I'd love to hear him sing 'Twist & Shout' by the Beatles!

Beatles wrote lots of beautiful slow ballads that I would love to hear Lee sing such as Yesterday, Long and winding road, etc.

Thanks for the find A/Liz...

Oooo!...'The A Team'...what a great series that was...
George Peppard was one of my favourite Actors at the time too...

I would love to hear Lee's interpretation of some of the songs from the 50's and 60's...
There were so many great songs and ballards during that time, (so my Mother told me!!!) ...
Lee would be spoilt for choice...
Maybe, he will be brave enough to add one or two into his future Concerts, there certainly wouldn't be any risk of him getting 'booed' off the stage now, that's for sure...

Maggie Ball knows Lee well maybe she could drop a hint next time she speaks to him