​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Lee to Star in Panto!

Lee is to star as Jack in Jack & the Beanstalk at the Mayflower, Southampton, from 22nd December to 19th January.

Mayflower link

As usual, he's done it again and completely surprised us - well, me anyway!

Re: Lee to Star in Panto!

OMG! Squeee!
Thanks for the find A/Liz... really wanted him to do comedy,
never dreamt it would be a pantomime

With the likes of Julian Clary, it will probably be hysterical!!

Oh - and - tights!!!!

Oooh, thanks A/Liz. Another one out of the blue Mr Mead , although I know we've all told him during chats that a 'play with comedy' would be good . Yes, 'tights' .

Is anyone else dissapointed at this news, really believed that something important may have been in the offing as it has all been a bit hush hush lately. I was hoping the trip to America might have been something to do with J.C.S.Panto always seem a bit, desperate, either people trying to get on the ladder or hanging in there, even "Bob the Builder" got a job in Panto
Sorry if sounds a bit bittet but after Lee fab, Concerts and the Beautiful C.D. (by the way what has become of that ) I was hoping for better things for our boy. O. well quess who will be going to Panto this year ? Anyone got a spare kid !!!!
Be hard for him as well, in Panto you have a show Christmas Eve and another Boxing day, I remember when my son was doing Panto

These days, a lot of performers do Panto. John Barrowman does it every year. Gone are the days when it was seen as 'desperate' - I doubt either Nigel Havers or Julian Clary need to do it. They both have succesful careers. Also, Nigel, Julian and Lee won't have come cheap. This is a big panto! If I remember correctly, the Mayflower Pantos are more like WE musicals, both in terms of production values and the fact that they have big budgets and decent scores/songs.

We still don't know what else Lee has lined up between now and then.

Agree with you Jo, a lot of stars do panto now - remember an article a little while ago about how it's seen as quite acceptable for 'names' to go into panto. After all it's only a 4 week run and Southampton is hardly a long way from London.

Maggie, I am sure this won't be the only thing Lee has lined up for this year. It is one of the big pantos so will get a lot of press coverage and I am just glad it is in the south where we can get to it easily. Oh yes ....and TIGHTS!!!!!!

Well I am thrilled to bits as I am going to my sons for xmas and he lives 20 miles from Southampton,does anyone know how soon they will start booking?

Tickets go on sale to the public on April 20th (next Saturday) according to the website.

Thanks Jo can I find out if there are matinees? I wonder if he will have days off or isn't it long enough run for that I don't want to go and he isn't there

I am thrilled. The Mayflower is one of my local theatres (Well, 1+ hour drive.)

I saw Daniel Boys in last year's 'Panto' Peter Pan. It was much more a Musical than a panto. This production sounds fabulous and we all know that Lee is pretty good at choosing his projects.

I wonder if he will still fit in a pre-Christmas Concert? As the panto run starts on Sat.22nd there will probably a performance on Sun.23rd., but I'm sure Lee could rehearse for the panto, put together a concert, prepare for his Family Christmas and ....................... do whatever else he has planned.

Showgirl with it being your local can you tell me is row A stalls ok I have looked at the seating plan but they are saying about orchestra pit if they need to extend it row A won't be there,do you know if there are matinees? thank you

OMG computers are so annoying! I just typed all the following info and then it disappeared into the ether........................

Acer, the Stalls are OK from Row A but there is no rake until Row F. Then there is a gentle rake to Row K and a better one from Row L. Seats are then good till about Row V.

Dress Circle - A is not good, B is OK except for the 2 seats either side of the aisle as there is a bar. C and further back are Good.

Maggie I recall you were disappointed with the Wicked and Legally Blonde announcements too and they turned out well. I'm sure it will be a great pantomime. Southampton are well known for their massive productions and drawing in big names.

Thanks showgirl,computers can be annoying I have been typing in trying to find when matinees are just ignores what I am asking

Mmmm, tights.

Fantastic news, and going by Lee's latest tweet he
is well pleased about it too. I am sure Lee will
be doing lots of other things this year as well. Also
it says it is a Qdos production which I am sure is
the same production team for the pantomimes that
John Barrowman does.

I'm sure it is a good move, especially given the rest of the cast - and he'll really enjoy it!
My only regret is that it is on the south coast - a VERY long way from Merseyside, particularly in the winter!

Short contract ... good salary ... tights!

He's won't be complaining - why should we!!

showgirl sorry to bother you again but I am going to panto with my daughterinlaws mother and she is only small and when I said I would like row A she said oh I will be looking up all the time now is the stage high or will row A be ok, thanks

Qdos is indeed the company that John Barrowman usually works for, it is also the production company that do the Wimbledon Theatre pantomimes.

They also do the one at my local theatre - High Wycome - and I had the pleasure of sitting next to the producer of the one Lee is doing when I saw that last Xmas - we had a lovely discussion about the state of British panto and what makes it so great - lovely man!!!

Acer - not Showgirl, but saw White Xmas at the Mayflower last year from Row A - view was OK,but TBH you do end up with neck ache - think I'd go for a little more central and a couple of rows back (and as Showgirl says there is no rake til F so I'd just pray hard that a 6' plus person didn't end up in front of me!!)

Thanks Trulee do you think F will be ok or would you go further back? you know what it is I like to be close to Lee!!!

TBH think I'd probably risk no rake seats in 2nd, 3rd or 4th rows

Interesting news! I think the Mayflower panto this year is supposed to be the biggest production in the country to help celebrate the theatre's 25th birthday.

Apparently it had been rumoured that John Barrowman was going to be in it but now Lee is doing it instead! I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun for both Lee and us . And nice that's Lee's doing something that Betsy can come along to!

Didn't expect that, but whatever he does, it's all good experience and it will be great fun for him and for the audience.

Tights and boots, and especally.... climbing a beanstalk in tights and boots

Fee-fi-fo-fum, i smell the blood of an Englishman

Thanks Trulee,I wouldn't be surprised if Betsy shouts out "Daddy",if JB was supposed to be doing it I wonder if he put a word in for Lee because Denise and John are very friendly

Here's a press release from the Mayflower.

"Sensational musical numbers ...."!!!
"Southampton has never seen a pantomime on this scale before....."
"A larger than life beanstalk..."

Sounds good!

Mayflower Press Release

Who's disappointed??? Not me!
acer, there are usually extra matinees in the week after Christmas.

Acer, if you click on the link in my first post at the top of the page, then click on 'Prices', it shows all the details of seat prices, seating plan and times of all performances.

Tickets go on sale next week.

I'm very happy, it's a date for the diary, and a chance to see Lee being silly and having fun, and with two great co-stars as well. I like both Nigel and Julian.

I think Lee likes the opportunity to do something different to show how versatile he can be.Plenty of songs, dances and other athletic bits - in tights!

Thanks A/Liz and all the ladies that have helped me don't know what I would do without you xxx

The Panto discussion has reminded me of a gem from the Timeline - Lee's first foray (that we know of) into a Fairytale role:-

LINKY THING

I wonder if that 18 year old boy ever thought that one day, he'd be a West End star?

Hadn't seen that before, thanks Johartuk and Ro.

He's always been leading man material.

Thanks Showgirl and Trulee for your info about seats. Could I ask, how is the view from the sides? Anyone sat there?

I'm asking just in case the better central seats have gone.
Is there anywhere that not good to sit?

I'm hoping there will still be good seats on Friday. Has anyone gone for the upgraded tickets?

Any tips anyone? To my post above?

Jazzylou sorry I can't help you it will be my first time at theatre,surely if we book early Friday we should get good seats? I am hoping to book as soon as box office opens

Jazzy, don't worry, you will get a good view from the side seats in the Mayflower. I've been to a lot of shows there, sitting in different parts of the theatre & I've always had a good view of the stage.

Thanks acer and Lynne.

I cheated and went for membership in the end and got better seats for me and a few friends. In the first few rows so i'm happy

So..................

Who got tickets then?

I did Jazzy got what I wanted,went on at 10am waited 10 mins to get an operator came off at 10-20am

Good for you, well done! I had to wait 8 mins on hold when I booked mine too, its a bit worrying when you don't know who is booking what in front of you.

Got through straight away at 9.30 am and booked the seats I wanted for the final performance.Now I've just got to persuade a couple of my friends to go with me on another day.

I thought the box office didn't open till 10am?

Hmm thats odd. Its listed as 9.30 most days but I thought it was 10 yesterday too. Maybe a misprint then. I'm sure it didn't make much difference acer. There are lots of seats available but i'm pleased to see that they are selling well.

I booked on line. I had the phone on as well, and was still on hold while I was able to book via the computer, and choose my seats from the seat plan!

Such good memories of the Mayflower with Lee's concert right after he finished in Wicked. I remember walking to the theatre (I was late for dinner) and asking someone for directions and them telling me yes I was going right, he was working at the threatre and Lee was such a nice chap.

Another Liz
I booked on line. I had the phone on as well, and was still on hold while I was able to book via the computer, and choose my seats from the seat plan!

Oh thats interesting!

First opportunity for me to book til this evening but just managed to book some really good tickets online. I did wonder it being late in the day whether i would get good seats, but i have been creatively selective!! in choice of shows to go to .... so i'm happy

1 2