General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Lee & the Olympic Flame

This announcement has been posted on the Eclipse Artist Facebook page:

Chelmsford stars set to shine at evening celebration to welcome Olympic Flame

As part of Sparks will Fly: Essex Finale & Chelmsford welcomes the London 2012 Olympic Torch relay Chelmsford Council have commissioned Pinpoint Create to choreograph an energetic ten minute show celebrating the immense talent of local people.
Actor and Musical star Lee Mead will be headlining this specially created Chelmsford section of the Olympic Torch Relay evening celebration stage show which will open the celebrations on Friday 6th July in Hylands Park as the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay arrives in the city.
Lee has just returned from a sell out tour of Japan and a successful tour of the UK based on his new album Love Songs. He made one of his early career performances appearing on stage at the Civic Theatre in Chelmsford in the ballet Pineapple Poll whilst training locally at college. This time he will be performing a new song called ‘Gold’ composed especially for this event.
His performance will be part of a spectacular choreographed section featuring local athletes Dance & Cheer 49, Radical Bikes, Kinetix and Chelmsford’s Sports Ambassadors – potential Olympians of the future. Audiences will be thrilled by a fast moving display of basketball moves, cheerleading, extreme biking and free gymnastics performed to a throbbing new soundtrack. There may even be an appearance from Chelmsford’s hero Marconi!
Lee Mead and all the local performers are delighted to support their home county of Essex and proud to be part of the amazing London 2012 Olympic celebrations in the UK.
Friday 6 July Gates Open at 3.30pm Show at 5 pm.
Hylands Park, Chelmsford.
First allocation of tickets sold out. A very limited number of returned tickets will be made available to the public via a ballot open Friday 18 May until midnight on Tuesday 19 June. More information at http://www.sparkswillfly.org.uk/finale

Re: Lee & the Olympic Flame

OMG!!! Being a local, I'm already in the ballot for this (like an idiot, missed out on the first allocation) ......

Ooh, good luck A/Liz!

Hope you get a ticket A/Liz

I'm not holding my breath. When the first lot went on sale, they sold out within about 10 minutes. I didn't even realise they'd gone on sale (not, at that time it being a Lee fixture! ), and a couple of days later idly looked into getting a couple, but FAR too late!

I wonder if he'll run with the torch at some point? They seem to like to get celebs to join in!!!

Fingers crossed for you A/Liz.

Run with it.....phew..... Nearly choked on my lunch time ham sandwich while reading that.....
Good luck A/Liz

GOOD LUCK A/liz got my fingers crossed for you

Everything crossed for you A/Liz
Good luck...

Can I just say to anyone from further afield who is thinking of going in for the ballot, the event at Hylands Park sold out to 15,000 people when they originally went on sale, leaving only 650 tickets available in the ballot.

Hylands Park is where the annual V Festival is held, is in the grounds of Hylands House (a dead ringer for the White House), is outside the town and is vast (574 acres). The V Festival plays to far more than 15,000, over 4 stages.

(It's also where my son & DIL got married, but that's beside the point )

It's up to you if you think travelling a long way for a glimpse of Lee in the distance for a few minutes is worth it.

We have a local celebration in Guildford too, two days after West End Men comes to town ( ) but those tickets also sold out really quickly. Unfortunately I found out a week too late

Good luck with the ballot A/Liz ......but if you get in you have to promise to bring us pics

It seems very likely that Lee and the torch will be mentioned in the local papers and magazines so some kind soul might manage to get them on the forum for us; fingers crossed.

I may have to wait a while to see if I've been successful in the draw, but I've just found out that my son already has tickets from when they first went on sale!!!!

Sadly there's no way he'd be on photo duty, as he thinks his old mother is round the bend for liking Lee!!!

There is a small news item in this week's Essex Chronicle about Lee. I still haven't grasped the principles of Photobucket, so I can't post it, but quote below (Kirsten, if you want I can scan it and send it to you). There is a small photo, the same as Lee's Twitter profile pic.

The draw has now closed, but I don't think we know if we're successful until 28th June. In the meantime, I'm working on everyone I know. I'm acquainted with one deluded couple who hate Lee with a passion, and have tickets already but are now threatening not to go. Sadly, I don't know them well enough to say GIVE THEM TO ME!!!! but I have a friend who's on the case .... (everything crossed!!!)

Anyway, on with the article:

Dream champion Lee to headline Torch show

CHELMSFORD: Those lucky enough to get tickets for Chelmsford's Olympic torch event at Hylands Park are to be treated to a show by Lee Mead.
Southend boy Lee, pictured, rose to fame after winning BBC talent show Any Dream Will Do, bagging the lead role in a new production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
He has now been chosen to headline the opening of the show on Friday, July 6, alongside a showcase of local talent.
His performance will be part of a spectacular choreographed section featuring local athletes from Great Baddow High School Basketball Squad, Essex Dance Theatre, Radical Bikes, Team Kinetix and Chelmsford's Sports Ambassadors - potential Olympians of the future. For more information visit www.sparkswillfly.org.uk.

Hi A/Liz I hope you get the tickets from the 'deluded couple' just to say I have a son just like yours when it comes to Lee!!!

Hi,

I don't think you're the only one, I wasn't aware the tickets had gone on sale either, I thought it would have been all over the papers in advance with the exact date, but didn't see anything. So I am in the ballot as well. E-Mails sent by 27th June I think.

Great Lee's involved, though for only one song called Gold I've heard, with all the dancers etc. Should all be good fun though.

Hi Lauren, I presume you are from Chelmsford - or at least Essex (sorry everyone else, for a bit of local chat here). In my case I just didn't believe the Olympic Torch celebrations would take off like they have. I remember seeing the event at Hylands being advertised in the Chronicle (this was months before Lee's involvement was mentioned) and thinking it might be nice to go. Somehow I missed making a note of the date to apply for tickets, but I do remember going past the Civic Theatre one morning and seeing a massive queue and wondering what was happening. I still didn't make the connection though, and was amazed to discover, a few days later, when I went to apply for tickets for Hylands, that they had sold out in hours.

Later, when they announced the ballot for what was left, I put my name down straightaway, and it was about a week later that Lee's involvement was announced. Doubly frustrating for us locals who wanted to see the Olympic flame party anyway, and may still not get tickets, and then to miss Lee as well ....... aargh!!!

Yes, Lee is only doing one song. Should be a good show, though. I still have everything crossed!

Good luck to everybody who tries for tickets. Hylands Park is a great venue. I saw Michael Ball there way back in 1992.

From Paul Carpenter Films, who look as if they've been busy creating something quite spectacular:

Paul Carpenter Films Olympic Torch Finale

Thanks A/Liz it sounds as if it is going to be great,I wonder what Gold will be like I hope we will get to hear it at sometime,have you got your tickets yet?

No, Acer. The draw is on the 28th I think (when I'm in Watford!). The Lee-haters I mentioned earlier have decided to go despite him, so no joy there. I'm still hoping against hope ....

Oooh, sounds epic!

I've just looked back at the acknowledgement I received when I went in for the draw. Apparently, we are notified on the 27th (tomorrow), not 28th.

Also, they say: "If you are unsuccessful you will still be able to see a short film of the event, at www.sparkswillfly.org.uk/finale 24 hours after the event."

So all is not lost, and everyone may yet get to see something of Lee's performance.

Good luck to all who have entered the draw. I'm very glad to hear that there will be a video, lets hope they include the important bit! (to us)

Good Luck to those in the draw!

When the flame came to Liverpool, there was a special regional TV programme covering the event. They might do the same with Chelmsford.

You can guess by the way that I'm not jumping all over the forum that I didn't get the tickets. No luck for friends on standby either. Forlorn hope is that one of No.2 son's friends will drop out of his group, and he'll take pity on his old mother.

When the 'V' Festival is on, we can often sit in the garden and listen to it, if the wind is in the right direction. I'll just have to hope the wind is kind, and that the amps are suitably loud!

Sorry you didn't get a ticket A/Liz,there may not have been many tickets in the draw,lets hope someone drops out

There were 650 tickets in the draw, not many really, when you were allowed to apply for up to 6 per application.

Oh that sounds a lot to each applicant,I bet there will be a couple out of each six that can't go if you only knew them!!!!do you think it would be worth going to the venue on the day in case any one turns up with a spare ticket,that sort of thing happens at football for cup games.

No. I know Hylands Park. It's in the countryside, it's miles to walk, and we probably wouldn't be allowed in the car park without tickets. I'm not risking it.

You know best A/Liz I don't even know where it is,just disppointed for you

Aww, sorry you didn't get any tickets in the draw, A/Liz.

I'm going to this!! My school has been given enough tickets for our year 6 children and I've volunteered to be a helper!! I'm really pleased because I missed the original ticket sale and wasn't successful in the ballot either.

well done Stevie

So how did it go? Any reports or pix please?

It hasn't taken place yet, Sue. It's this Friday, 6th July.

Ooops!

According to various tweets from those involved on the creative side, it would seem that the Torch Relay finale, including Lee's song, will be live on BBC Look East at 7.00 pm tomorrow.

Sorry, I don't know the Sky channel or cable number for this - it's my 'local' so is 101 for me (Sky), but probably not for outside the area. Hopefully someone can find out.

(It isn't actually showing up on the Sky TV Guide yet, but they had one the other day from a different part of the region, so maybe they will alter the menu tomorrow)

ETA: Actually, Look East is on at 6.30pm, with the One Show at 7.00pm. Whether this means Look East will run late, with the One Show being bumped, or whether the twitter posters have got the wrong time, I have no idea! Better get watching from 6.30 onwards, to be on the safe side.

Just be careful, ALiz. The BBC have been messing with the schedules during Wimbledon and some stuff from BBC1 has been bumped over to BBC2 in the early evening so Wimbledon can be seen on BBC1.

Can you just imagine my if I miss it, after all the fuss I've made about not getting tickets!!!! Thanks for the reminder, Asher - I must try to keep my wits about me and concentrate!

I have just put SKY 961 and got East I don't know whether that is what we are looking for? but I will stay on till 7pm and see what comes on.

It's on tomorrow, acer - the 6th.

Jo I know it is but if you read above threads they are not sure what time look east is on because of all the changes with the tennis that is why I am staying on to see what comes on.

Look East just come on 6-30pm said will be details of torch tomorrow.

I LOVE MY SON!!!! He's just phoned to say he has spare ticket for tonight!!!

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Oh A/Liz I am so pleased for you,just wish my son would say it isn't too far to take you to Guildford but I don't think there is any chance of that

WOO HOO A/Liz - extra large birthday present for No. 2 Son this year.

Excellent!

There seems to be two Look East Channels...Look East (E) and Look East (w) they are on sky 961 and 962 (I think, doing this from memory) . Anyone know which one it is actually?

Jazzy I was on 961 last night and I am almost sure that was East, which is it on e or w?if it is any help the bottom of the front page says it is on 961. just put 962 on in brackets it has W.

Thanks acer, i'll go for 961.

1 2