​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not quite O/T - anyone good at organising events?

So, confession time, I went to a convention for the TV show 'Supernatural' a couple of weeks ago because the actor who plays Castiel was one of the speakers. I met him and he's a total sweetheart. Anyway, enough of that! After seeing how well it went and what fun the event was, I got to thinking. It'd be great if something similar could be done for Lee. Obviously, not a three-day event, but something where Lee videos were shown, and - if the timng was right - Lee being invited to come along and do a question and answer session. Money could be raised for charity, maybe Lee could be asked if he'd donate something special as a raffle prize? It would take a heck of a lot of organisation, especially if hotel rooms were included, but it would be such a good day!

Re: Not quite O/T - anyone good at organising events?

Sounds a marvellous idea; perhaps something along those lines could be done in a cheap venue? I'm thinking Cleethorpes pier on a wet Tuesday night?

sorry that is a bit tongue in cheek.

I would help. quite enjoy a bit of organizing !

Interesting idea Tanith but I suspect not easy to organise!

Perhaps a meeting of fans could be organised to coincide with a Lee event, such as one of his Christmas concerts (though there may not be one of those this year) to ensure enough 'hard core' fans are around in one location to make something along these lines viable.

I'm wondering what Lee would make of a fan convention on 'Lee Mead' - I think he would be rather bemused

Been to a few fan cons before the kid was born and knew people involved in them. Not only are they a massive undertaking, but require a lot of money (rental space and equipment, actors appearance fees & expenses). Have seen a few cons fall apart entirely through the organizers' naivete, inexperience, and incompetence.

However, I think Grey Cat has the right idea - if there is an existing Lee event, arrange something simple around that for the fans.

If you want to email me, I'm happy to direct you to some websites for fandoms who organize their own events regularly.

Greycat's idea is really good, minimum organising but something that could turn out to be a really good afternoon event before a concert. Yes, the organisation for these events is huge, there were a lot of staff on hand for the Supernatural event.

When I was a Michael Ball fan (still think he's brilliant, just don't go to see him as much now) his fanclub magazine used to advertise get-togethers for fans in local areas, to go to someone's home and watch videos/hear music for the afteroon. They were good, too.

Thanks for the info, PKP.