​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My trip to Guildford

My Guildford trip! Got to jazzylou's early afternoon and she made us some lunch, about an hour after jacqueLEEn turned up and helped us finish the wine! I think that wine was essential for jaz, what a buzz eh? To have lee in your hometown and have a meet and greet coming up soon. She was counting down the hours! It was fun to be caught up in it. We got a cab into gf about 4.00, shame about the rain, it didn't stop! We checked out the stage door....as you do! As we approached I just had this feeling....and I was right. There he was, going in with two people. Some smartly dressed man that I assumed was one of the wem crew and a blonde lady. I didn't realise it was his parents!
After that mini thrill jack and I were squeeing but jaz was uncharacteristicly cool. She had a very 'whatever' attitude about it which we found highly amusing and teased her about. Almost as if- lee mead, so what! I'm seeing him later. But all in jest you understand
We got some ex display posters from the front desk. Sorry that we didn't get any more than the three. We asked a lad, he must've done a little head count and came back with the three. Jack spent the rest of the time trying not to get them wet!
With time to kill we mooched around a lovely kitchen shop, went to a pub and then headed for the SD to drop jaz off. It was like leaving a small child. First day of school type of thing. Jackie and I had a coffee in g live and discussed lee among other things. Matt Rawle was in the same area for a while. Intense passionate man. You could tell by the way he was all over his lady friend. Stephen had walked through earlier too. Love those unexpected sightings of people off duty.

We arrived at pizza express while jaz was still with lee. Steve and Jo were in there, no swanky restaurant for them! We took a table next to sunnymead and chums. It wasn't long until jaz turned up to join us and I think she welcomed the glass of white waiting for her! We heard her tale of seeing lee over a lovely meal and Joan, husband John and petrus arrived.
Next stop, the concert! In the foyer a few of us bought programmes and there were mixed feelings as we looked at the line up of songs. Some squees in there, some raised eyebrows but above all, a quick count suggested lee might not be doing as much as we hoped? We needn't have worried though..
Jaz and I took our seats in row b and I was pleased at the fact the stage didn't seem too high.
I just love the intro to this show. Some really tense, almost dark music is played as the musicians take to their seats. It really sets the scene. It's like nothing I've heard before to kick off a show and as I heard I thought- oh wow, now this is something DIFFERENT. I can't remember the order in which the three men come on but they all come on at different points in 'pure imagination' the song from Charlie and the chocolate factory. It's an understated little song, not an obvious one for an opener but it really works. It's subtle and to me sounding slightly haunting but with a sense of good things to come- like you knew something special was happening here...I think it was a perfect start.

Now forgive me because things get a little jumbled, I can't remember the order of songs and who sang what is getting a bit hazy so I'll just talk as I remember. During the song from Charlie it was really interesting to see the three of them on stage singing together. As they sang in turn you could really compare. Stephen and matt are outstanding vocal wise and for stage presence, I loved both their voices. But when lee sings, he just has this glorious tone, he is very gifted in that way. It's so smooth and warm and there are so many different shades to it too.
Early on lee sang music of the night and I just melted. With my recent trip to phantom still fresh in my mind it was bliss to hear him do that amazing number with its pretty little melody. I just love it. I think the others had previously done a couple of respective solos and that part of the gig resulted in an amalgamation of all three songs. Very powerful. Lovely.
All three did solo songs that were significant to them. With small introductions to themselves and a bit of small talk in between. Stephen is the funny guy, he had some amusing stories and is a naturally bubbly, funny guy. Matt is so so confident, very smooth and charming which annoys me in some men but not him. He's lovely! And lee is just lee! Nothing too scripted, just down to earth lee, telling it like it is, often taking the mickey out of himself. Gaining as many chuckles as Stephen did but for no other reason than him simply being himself and that slightly dorky sense of humour we know and love. A song that stood out for me was stephen's 'the journey home'. He sang it so well although towards the end he seemed to be warbling a bit which sounded a mess until I realised its taken from Bombay dreams which was his show and if you put a song in situ it all makes sense. I've listened to it since. I loved the diversity of this show. Songs with an Indian flavour, jazz, swing, classic MT, and rock.
Lee's ced was good and I loved the flute that played along. In fact there was always flute, clarinet or sax being played and I felt it gave the show a sexy edge. We just won't mention the sax players solo. Funny, but he made his point, got the laugh, and it went beyond that...and that was precious 'fix you' time as far as we were concerned.

This wasn't one of those shows where your eyes are glued to lee the whole time. The other guys are so good, it's hard not to watch them! Especially matt. This man has music running through his blood, you can tell. He has a certain swagger on stage, he fits with the laid back jaz vibe of some songs but at the same time he has this fierceness. Sometimes to the point of being snarly and almost spitting the words out. His passion is laid bare and I think that's why I found him sexy. His moves are interesting! He's an interesting man to watch. I don't think he really even cares how he looks on stage, the music seems to drive him.
All three had a great rapport together, great chemistry. You can see that they are really having fun with this show. They are completely in tune with each other and they each know their strengths. They were forever glancing at each other with knowing smiles, winks and giggles.
My fave of the night I think was the west side story medley which opened the 2nd half. Started off with just the drummer working his socks off producing this sexy Latin beat. That went on for some time, it didn't matter, it was significant, added a bit of tension. Then each man in turn came on with snippets of song. They were so sharp in this number! When one was singing the others were stood on their podiums- ok, not podiums as such but their areas of stage which FELT like podiums, like showcases for their moves. Which were all about shimmies and wiggles and expressions. Fascinating to watch lee doing all this of course! At one point he put his hand on his hip, then tapped all four fingers in a very fast fluttery motion.....you can imagine...simple but very effective. Effective in sending me slightly round the twist.

For lee value this show is amazing. If he is not on stage in a solo or a group he is sat on a stool watching. The show had lots of twists and turns. It was not unusual for one guy to be singing what you thought was a solo and then for lee to appear behind. Strolls on, mic in hand, sharp suit, some killer line...then gone again....it had us captivated. ' Unchained melody' was pure fantasy fodder for me. Stephen took the lead while lee was on a stool to his left while matt was on the right perched on a raised bit of stage. I didn't mind that it was stephens tonight. The other two played a part even without singing. There was an annoying spotlight on jaz and I. We felt self conscious! How could we look at lee when we were exposed in that way! All I could think about was the spot on my chin and frown lines. Lol. Lee looked thoughtful throughout the whole song. Which made me thoughtful. He looked beautiful there on that stool. White shirt with some sort of embroidery detailing, snug black trousers. The way he was sat, not slouching but relaxed, totally chilled, it was a lee we don't often see. Where his shoulders were hunched over ever so slightly it pulled at the fabric and his upper body definition was clear. His tum through the fabric appeared taught. He had a lovely shape on that stool. My mind wandered several times to standing behind him (maybe I had ghost in my mind) standing behind and relaxing him, working my fingers into his shoulders, kneading and stroking him. The chilled look on his face fitted with this little daydream.
Kerry Ellis I liked. Being such a wicked fan and being guilty of being a bit Rachel blinkered I felt I owed it to her to give her a chance. After all, she is rated as one of the best elephaba's. Defying gravity started off slowly suggested a new take on it, a ballad this time but it soon got into its usual swing. Yes, she was brilliant. As long as you're mine was just as good but there is no one like Louise dearman for that finger locking/can't get enough of you passion we saw on the love tour.
I am totally convinced now that I need to see les mis. I have little knowledge of the story but all I know is that the impact of that huge group song is staggering. With choir on stage, solos from teenagers, bits from Kerry, lee, Stephen and matt in turn it was mind blowing. At times I thought it was shouty but I've been informed that this is part of it. I am new to it all, I have stuff to learn about this musical. All I can say is, how can something as simple as a march be so.....powerful?! This was my second joint fave.
My other fave, no prizes for guessing was bohemian rhapsody! What a fantastic song to finish on. For a happy, satisfied audience this is a great release song. To show the appreciation we were all urged to get to our feet and clap, sway, sing, whatever. It was a free for all. A fun song, an anthem, indulgent, eccentric....the choir get to show off, the gang on stage get to go out with a bang and there is nothing like the euphoric high of the guitar instrumental. If air guitar comes out at the next gig I cannot be held responsible. Les mis/bohemian are a little blurry, they were both so celebratory. The house was on its feet. I looked behind from my row b seat and the sea of hands and faces were very moving. I clapped so hard my hands hurt, it's like in these situations it's almost as though they have to hurt. It's part of the deal, you like it that much? You clap til they hurt.
You'll never walk alone was a nice end, poignant for me as I thought of a special friend. I don't know if that song was completely necessary for me. Nice for them to come back on after our chants and applause. But bo rhapsody.....what a way to finish x

Re: My trip to Guildford

Wow Coofy, you have excelled yourself! What a brilliant, detailed and accurate review. Thank you, I loved reading it.

Great review, Coofy!

Thanks Coofy great review,when did Lee's Mum go blonde? but of course I haven't seen her since Joseph I can't get to a lot of the concerts

LOL Coofy, thanks for that

So I had better share my bit....

Have been meaning to do a review but didn't know where to start so by Coof doing the above it has helped!

I can't tell you how excited I have been since this concert was announced. Five years ago I could only but dream that Lee would visit my home town (not to mention that G Live was only a twinkle in the designers eyes ). I had always hoped that he would do something in the Yvonne Arnaud which is our other main theatre.

It was Woozie who originally alerted me to the fact that he was playing there so thanks to her for that. I couldn't wait until the next day to buy tickets in person so I paid the booking fee and booked online .

From a professional point of view I can't say too much about how my meet and greet came about but I will just say that I own a business and we did some work for G Live and via that, I had the opportunity to ask. Up until the day before I had not heard so I assumed that it wasn't going to happen and was just really happy that I was going to see the show.

The next morning at work, the message came.....I sat there a bit dumbfounded at first. Then the excitement and the nerves kicked in. There had been a competition by our local radio station for a meet and greet so I had no idea what it was going to be like, how many people there, etc etc...

As Coofy said, the alcohol helped (we got through a whole bottle of wine before leaving home!! In a taxi of course).

Coof and Jackie looked after me and did their best to calm my nerves and we went to the Three Pigeons at the top of the high street and downed another glass!!

So I went to the Stage Door, quaking in my boots and rang the bell. I was let in and waited a while for the person I was meeting to collect me. There was quite a buzz in there. They had a hand written board with precise timings of the show written on and there were lots of comings and goings through the door, including the whole choir who had to be called back to sign out as they went in search of food after the rehearsal! The door ladies had already met Lee and commented that he said thank you to everything aww. At one point he came to the top of the stairs and was saying goodbye to a guy he had been talking to, perhaps an interview.

Then Roz came through a different door with the other group. I think that their winning package must have included a back stage/auditorium tour but I didn't ask so i'm not completely sure. There were two couples and maybe another but my mind had already started to give way by then. We chatted as we were led upstairs, behind the stage and through the labyrinth of corridors. We went through the dressingroom corridor into the Green room at the end. It was a lovely big room with large windows and looked out over Guildford on two sides. There was just a round table and half a dozen chairs and a small sofa (quite sparse considering the size). Lee was in there already and as we went in he greeted all of us with a welcoming (soft) *swoon* handshake and a kiss I think I probably lost it at that point but I did my best to hold it together He recognised me *double swoon* and welcomed us all in. David White the musical supervisor and another of the team were also in there.
I sat down (before my legs gave way and he perched his red jeans clad bottom on the table and started to chat about the show. He was very relaxed and lovely... *more swooning* We covered several topics including Besty and coming to Guildford and near the end he asked if we had any other questions as he was going to go back to his dressing room and needed to go through a few songs before they started. (They had a 3 hour rehearsal before that). There were so many things I could have asked but none came to mind but I am not going to go back and wish that I had said or asked certain things because I was just glad and felt very privileged to be there.

Lee offered photos and a couple of people did so I also did (churlish not to ) I will put the pic here but I have chopped myself off as I had the silliest of expressions on my face and i'm not sure why......and I don't think it was the fact that his arm and hand were tightly around my waist, and mine around his !!

Photobucket

Thanks Jazzy that was lovely a memory to cherish,it looks a gorgeous pic why did you cut your self off ?love your dress.

And then we all said our goodbye's and went back down the way we had come. As we walked along, the younger girl (who was with her boyfriend) mentioned to me that Lee was quite gorgeous and at that point her boyfriend elbowed her and told her to be careful . And the rest that follows joins back with Coofy's excellent review.

I really had a super time and the show was the best non West End show that i've seen him do.

Unlike some of the others, I had not looked at the program and Lee hadn't given anything away either although he did mention 'Better', so I had no idea what was coming, no expectations. Which in the end turned out to my advantage as some had been disappointed about Fix You being missed off; because I wasn't expecting it, I didn't miss it.

I loved the song they did at the beginning of the second half, very ...

I loved all of it. Especially the cummerbund, I've always liked those .

I can't wait to see it again although November seems an awfully long way off at the moment! I really hope it takes off for them, everyone should see it. I loved the feel good songs at the end and the rapturous applause and ovation, just amazing!!

Another great review (and a gorgeous pic)!

acer I had a strange look of surprise in my eyes with my brows raised. I don't know whether I had been speaking or talking about the camera working but I do look quite funny. The bit you can see is just as much as I can show. Thanks for the compliment though.

Thank you for your wonderful reviews Coofy and Jazy. You really deserved that M&G with all your pushing Guildford to have Lee. Hug.

I dearly hope it takes off because I want to see it here in New York. West End Men Meet Broadway. It has a ring to it. And if the reviews are anything to go by and the selling of the performances I think I can have reason to hope. And also people who had preconceived ideas about him have also mentioned what a beautiful voice Lee has now and reviewed the program as a whole as very goood so let's all hope we can make Bill Kenwrights prediction of international superstar come true.

Coof- Fab, fab, fab review. Thankyou so much for taking the time. It sounds like an amazing show,and as I doubt I will be able to see it I really appreciate the details.( We all love Lee details!)Made me feel a bit emotional!He feels so far away from me at the moment xxx

Jazz- as for you, I felt slightly sick just reading yours!
I just can't imagine how you must have felt in the build up. What a fantastic day for you xxx

WOW!! Thank you Coofy for a most wonderful review. I could imagine them all on stage singing through your descriptions and seeing a few pics that we have. Made me feel like I was there!

Jazzy, what a most glorious treat for you and yes the pic is good. I think you were just star struck a bit!! LOL What great seats you both had too. A whole evening to watch Lee Mead. Ok, and the others too!! Thank you both very much!! LOL

it was the most fabulous evening! thanks for the review girls, Coofy I love reliving it through your eyes x

Thanks Coofy and Jazzy lovely reviews, and a gorgeous photo Jazzy.

Thanks for taking the time to write that fantastic review Coofy! I loved reading it - so much detail.
Jazzy, congratulations on your M&G! What a wonderful experience for you & thanks for the lovely photo.

Great review, Coofy, and lovely story and photo, Jazzy. Thanks for sharing.

Many thanks Coofy and Jazzy

I've been out of town so just getting caught up on all the Guildford news -

Coofy, love the review! I could picture the whole thing and how amazing it must have been. Like Graziella, I do so look forward to seeing WEM here in the US at some point.

Jazzy, what a truly wonderful experience for you! Oh, my. Oh, my. That is all.

I thought you looked great on the photo with Lee when you showed it to me Jaz. I always dislike photos of myself - I think it's a general thing.

It was great to meet you at the station Coofynew and to chat with you on the journey to Reading. Surely sharing our excitement and love of the music (not to mention Lee) is one of the biggest bonuses that we have gained through Any Dream Will Do.

If I couldn't have the M&G myself then I'm really pleased that one of "our lot" got the chance!

I'm so glad you enjoyed my review everyone, it means a lot! Jaz, thanks for adding your bits too.

It was nice to meet you too Vicky! I enjoyed our chat. I looked for ingrid on FB after but couldn't seem to find her! X

So glad you all enjoyed the story of the day that was and will remain the most amazing day I've had for a long long time!

Wow, fantastic review Coofy and Jazzy. Thanks very much.
How wonderful for you Jazzy. Such a beautiful photo to cherish. Loved your dress.

The nerves and excitement really shine through in your account of your special meeting Jazzy. I almost felt nervous reading it!!

A special thank you Coofy and Jazzy for your wonderful reviews and Jazzy what a special day for you.

I would love to see the West End Men Concert but unable to see any of the summer shows. If anyone is going to Guernsey please, please, please post a review.

Chris W

Coofy I loved reading your review. I relived the whole experience through your eyes, thank you

Jazz I am so very very pleased that you got your meet & greet. Thank you so much for sharing it with us all.
I agree that sharing our Lee love is one of the things that make me proud to be a fan

i went with my OH & was very stressed by the time we got to the restaurant because we were so late (due to a road accident earlier that snarled up traffic)

Once there I started tp relax & WEM is one of the best shows I have ever seen.

After the show we went to the stage door & my lovely OH had the camera & took a few pics
I hope that you don't mind me sharing then on here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oooo! Yes! nice photos Joan Thank you.
Lee looks so relaxed and happy especially in the last one...
Lovely to see you and your OH again, albeit for only a short time at the SD

LOL that ladies face in the first photo???

C Liz it was lovely to see you as well.
As you say very briefly as SD.
But be honest we all had something or rather someone else on our mind by that time.

LOL! I wonder who that could have been Joan?

Thanks for the photos Joan, lovely!!

Thanks for all your comments on the M&G. It was certainly the most amazing experience of this year for me. In fact the whole Guildford adventure was amazing. My only wish is that the weather could have been better for the visitors to have explored a bit more. Every time I drive into town I think of that day.
My G Live association doesn't end there and I'm looking forward to working with them again soon. And maybe, just maybe one day Lee will visit again

Thanks for posting your photos Joan.

Thanks for the reviews and photos Ladies.

Jazz - Thank you for sharing your excitement about Lee appearing in your town. I would be the same way X 50.

Joan - Those SD photos are beautiful! Love the shorter haircut . . . more neck . . . ahem.

Hopefully, there will be more WEM in future. It's a great way for Lee to keep the brand out there while doing other things.