​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone for Singapore?

According to Lee's website, the West End Men are doing a concert in Singapore on 2nd December!!!

I wonder who will be going ... ?

West End Men in Singapore

Re: Anyone for Singapore?

Thrilled to bits for him! Squeeee!

I am actually going to Singapore next week for a weeks holiday, so very disappointed to hear Lee will be going in December!But happy for him.
The Venue-" Marina Bay Sands" is absolutely wonderful,if anyone going,
don't miss going up in the lift to the very top, what a great lookout, you have to pay, but well worth it.
Also Singapore put the most beautiful Xmas displays on i have ever seen,
in the street, especially down Orchard Rd (which is the main drag in the shopping area.)They are very good at attention to detail.

Oh, Suejo, what rotten timing!

I was born in Singapore just before the 2nd World War started. My mother stayed in a hotel in Orchard Road when she first arrived in 1940. I have been back twice in recent years and thoroughly enjoyed the visits. Lee should try to visit the Botanical Gardens as the orchids are fabulous! William and Kate were there a week or so ago. It is extremely humid there so he'll need to be prepared! I would love to be there to watch Lee but even getting to the panto in Southampton is unlikely.

Singapore sounds very exotic Vicki S! I'm sure Lee will have a great time - the hotel he is playing in looks fabulous (though not cheap):

http://www.marinabaysands.com/

But, with the humid climate, he'd better bring plenty of hair product or the curls could get seriously out of control

The island is much much larger than when my parents lived there. We were told that they took the tops off any higher ground, moved it to the coastline and after allowing quite a long period for it to stabilise, built on it. Much of modern Singapore is built on this extra land.

That's interesting, Vicki S. I was in Singapore a few years ago, and found it fascinating. There was building going on all over the place, whatever the weather. On one occasion, we had been out for the evening and, coming back along the motorway, were overtaken by a truck full of workmen (in the open, in the back of something like a pick up truck), carrying the workers to the night shift. The rain was torrential, they were soaked, but building work carried on 24-7, regardless. The extra land you mention explains how they could keep building!!

Yes PKP it was rotten timing for me, nevermind, will enjoy Singapore, its one of my favourite places to visit, been quite a lot. It has had many changes over the past couple of years.Plenty to see & do, great food, very diverse, and great shopping, and as i said in my earlier post" Marina Bay Sands" is a fantastic place, Lee will love it.

I have just got back from holidays in Singapore, always enjoy it.
Thought i would walk over to the "Marina Bay Sands" (where Lee suppose to be doing a show in Dec)) and check out to see if there are any Flyers advertising the WEM show, i did not see any on the stands, so hopefully
they will soon be advertising i know it was to be confirmed, but i guess i
was anxious to see something!!!!I noticed at the MRT station at Marina Bay,they had big posters advertising the shows that are on now, and throughout certain areas in the hotel. I felt a little disppointed to say the least of not seeing anything.

Hi Suejo! I noticed that the WEM tickets aren't on sale yet on the hotel's website (not that I was going to buy any!!!). Maybe they are still finalising contract details etc. Hopefully, it will be sorted soon.

Ramin has tweeted that his flight to Singapore is tomorrow (Wednesday) - so we must assume that Lee will be off then too.

Then again, Stephen's tweeted that he's off tonight (via Kuala Lumpur), so it's possible Lee's going with him! Who knows?

I saw the tweets ALiz!

Looks as though Stephen is travelling via Kuala Lumpur in order to visit family. Lee's still at home planning his TV viewing this evening according to Twitter so maybe he (and the rest of the band) are indeed travelling out to Singapore tomorrow with Ramin. It seems Ashleigh Gray won't be joining them.

Hope the WEM enjoy their first 'international' date :)

Yes, Greycat, I saw Lee's TV related tweets. I guess he's off tomorrow.

Good luck Lee and the rest for fab concert!

The WEM will have a new 'special guest' to join them for the Singapore date:

Joanna Ampil (@JoannaAmpil): "Marina Bay Sands, here I come! Off to SG with the 'West End Men'- Ramin Karimloo, Lee Mead and Stephen Rahman Hughes."

According to Wikipedia, Joanna has performed in several West End musicals, including Miss Saigon, Jesus Christ Superstar and Avenue Q, and she has played the roles of Eponine and Fantine in Les Misérables.

I hope we manage to get some feedback on the concert and what they sing!

Lee has tweeted that he is at Heathrow for his flight to Singapore.
What a great experience for all of them, Singapore is a brilliant
country I am sure they will all have a lot of fun.

Wishing Lee and all that are going a safe flight and a safe flight
home after the gig.

Loving Lee's ALW reference:-

Lee Mead ‏@leemeadofficial
Feels odd being called sir five times in once sentence. -Must be how Mr Webber feels everyday. #HeathrowExpress

Lee met up with a friend, James (Jammy) Taylor at the airport:

Lee and James

There is a tweet to Lee from @Cheery_Bear who I presume lives in America
"Have fun Lee nice to see you on twitter. Loved you on BBC America".
Sounds as though he did some TV interviews while he was in LA.

Maggiemay, I think @Cheery_Bear may have seen Lee in Bedlam - it was shown on BBC America recently.

For some strange reason, Lee has gone via Helskinki (Finland)!! As usual, Lee does the unexpected!

(see his tweet)

I wonder if he left it too late to get the usual flight path (either direct, or via the Middle East)?!

I think I read somewhere, can't for the life of me remember where, that the Singapore concert is a corporate thing so that might explain the lack of publicity. Forgive me if I'm wrong

Another Liz
For some strange reason, Lee has gone via Helskinki (Finland)!! As usual, Lee does the unexpected!

(see his tweet)

I wonder if he left it too late to get the usual flight path (either direct, or via the Middle East)?!

I saw that. He's taking the scenic route!

I'm now imagining one of those maps like on Indiana Jones films where they show a tiny plane flying across the map, tracing its route with a red line!

My OH tells me that he has probably gone with the Finnish airline as it works out a cheaper option, meaning he can more easily upgrade to business or first class and have a sleeper seat. It is a long flight to travel steerage!!!

Thanks Deanna how long is the flight? never having been to Singapore and never will

acer. it is approximately a l2 hour direct flight from Heathrow, but
with Lee having to change flights at Helsinki it will probably add
another 3 to 4 hours to the flight.

I did look up the flights, out of interest and just being nosy, and the only
flight from Helsinki to Singapore last night landed in Singapore at
around 5pm Singapore time. They are 8 hours ahead of the UK.

Oh dear, I am sounding like a stalker here.

Well ladies, whichever route Lee decided to take he has now arrived
safely in Singapore. The lady who is performing with WEM has
posted a lovely photo of them all having dinner. Ro has posted it
on the Lee Mead Timeline twitter page. Thanks Ro.

Thanks maggie for info and Ro for pic

Joanna Ampil, the WEM's Singapore lady , has posted this pic:

Joanna's pic

She says it's after rehearsals, but it looks more like the gym to me! You can see from the reflection in the mirror that they're in shorts ....

I think she likes Lee!

Joanna and Lee

Great pics! Especially loving the gym one!

Me too Jo!!!

Joanna's posted another one - unshaven Lee . Looks like Ramin has crashed out in the background!

Rehearsals

Sounds like the concert went well:-

Lee Mead ‏@leemeadofficial
A great gig tonight with @WestEndMen in Singapore. 3000 sell out. -Our first international date. Hope fully not the last. #welldonegang

3000 people! Blimey!

A couple of post concert photos:

From chloebabyhippo:

http://instagram.com/p/SvcVNbFZDV/

From Stephen's wife, Anjali:

https://twitter.com/AnjaliMehra_H/status/275295497349124096/photo/1

Thanks for all the photos A Liz.
Sounds as if the concert was a great success.
Well done WEM!

Thanks A/Liz for lovely pic's,well done you three,UK tour next year Please!!!with some in the North West!!!

There is a great photo posted by @JoannaAmpil of Lee messing about
in rehearsals yesterday with a message to Lee saying "love and miss you Lee".
Sounds as though she really enjoyed her time singing with the WEM.

I have just noticed Ro has posted the photo on the Timeline
twitter page with another one at rehearsals, also from Joanna Ampil.

Is this the one you mean, Maggiemay? It's lovely!

https://twitter.com/JoannaAmpil/status/275400000505253888/photo/1

That's the one Another Liz, brilliant isn't it.

Joanna sounds like a really lovely young lady and they all
seem to have got on really well.

There is another lovely one of Lee with a fan after the concert.
her twitter page is @ECMallari.

I wish I could do links but not technically clever enough.

Thanks maggie for info,you are not on your own not being able to do links