​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
The Lady Taverners Anniversary Ball...my review

Its a long one with photos, so skip if you are not interested. I put it separate so its easier to find, I hope nobody minds. Its taken quite a while so I hope is good enough!

Photobucket

The Lady Taverners 25th Anniversary Ball
Friday 21st September 2012

Oh the anticipation, the planning, the nerves and the excitement!! We went through them all swapping and discussing photos of dresses and accessories for several weeks before the event! This lavish entertainment venue was not just your average concert hall!

After arriving at our hotel on Bayswater Road, we gathered to say our hellos and then got started on getting ready. I had professional make-up done for the occasion as I’ve never been particularly good at getting the right look. I was very pleased with the result. The excitement started to build as the time got closer to our taxi collection. We just about made it in time, making last minute adjustments and having a can of M&S Mohitos to keep us calm! Nobody had any disasters I’m glad to say.

A call came through that our taxi was here so we all gathered in the foyer of the hotel for a photo and then off into the taxi to The Dorchester (squeeeeee). Everyone looked lovely.
Photobucket

Re: The Lady Taverners Anniversary Ball...my review

Arriving at the Dorchester a little early (no harm in that) we checked our shrugs etc into the cloakroom. The reception area was a beautifully decorated circular room with a large bar with lots of champagne glasses waiting to be filled. It had beautiful columns of gold with a lovely upward leaf design. We stood near some ornately decorated doors which we found out lead to an amazing dining room but sadly I didn’t take any pictures in there, it didn’t seem appropriate, we were ladies for the evening ;-). There was an official photographer taking photos so we posed for him, I hope we get to see those at some point. Then suddenly Lee appeared, looking gorgeous in sand coloured cotton trousers and a light (possibly grey marl) t-shirt. He was being shown through into the dining room but it was a way through to another part of the hotel, he had already eaten. We had been talking and suddenly we were a bit lost for words, just briefly haha!
Photobucket
Grr sorry this one is not the best and it won't resize!
Photobucket

The room started to fill up as the time got closer to the start. Lots of lovely dresses and suits mingled around with smells of expensive perfume wafting behind them. The noise grew louder and the champagne flowed. We toasted absent friends! A few celebs were there including past Presidents Joan Morecambe and Judith Chalmers and current President, Angela Rippon. Lorraine Chase was also there along with Robert Powell, and later we found out that the whole cast of Holby City were there as well! Angela Rippon was lovely; she came up to us and chatted for a while about the evening and the types of auctions that they were having, she commented on my feather fascinator saying that it would match the displays in the ballroom, haha. Then wished us an enjoyable evening, it was lovely speaking to her.

The doors of the ballroom opened and in we went. Again we were treated to more beautiful decor with amazing purple and silver lights enhancing the mood. The tables were lavishly dressed with very tall candelabras in the centre and lovely floral arrangements and in the place setting there was a program with Lee on the front . Our table (23) was right in the top corner (equivalent to a very side row A seat in relation to the stage) and despite a large screen right next to us, we knew we would have to move in order to see Lee during his set.

Toast to absent friends
Photobucket

Place setting
Photobucket

The order of events might now become a bit hazy as the alcohol kicked in but we filled in raffle tickets which were on the table and listened to a variety of speeches from leaders including Robert Powell and Angela Rippon. Then we said grace....and the starters were served. A fish fillet with finely sliced peppers and other veg (photo), needless to say it was delicious!
Photobucket
Oops forgot the table and the ballroom
Photobucket

The waiters kept topping up my glass with wine so I’ve no idea how much I had (hic)! The main course was a roasted duck breast with potato and asparagus(photo).
Photobucket
After our second course had settled, it was finally time to introduce Lee and the band, hooray! He was looking gorgeous in a black suit and white shirt, no tie and top button undone .. Oh baby those are such great Gucci shoes!(sorry ). Me and the girls were instantly to our feet and we tracked a path between the tables to the back of the room but more central. I cannot remember the proper order, somebody might help me with that but I think the first song was The Garden. It was so lovely to hear his voice again after what feels like an age!! I’m not quite sure how it happened but during the song we seemed to have made it to the front of the stage in front of him....I think the brain just did the walking while the heart swooned and the ears absorbed! It was not long before it became rather noticeable that a good proportion of the room were not really listening and were chatting loudly, this was quite off putting for Lee and rather rude. Sadly I think this is an all too familiar situation for corporate events of this nature. To be honest it reminded us of his tales of Bilbao! After the second song which I think was Music of the Night, the compere actually took to the stage and asked the audience to be quiet; I think Lee was a little embarrassed by this. He continued with his set but did comment that he might have chosen different songs if he had realised. The third song was CED (I think), followed by I Believe, Falling slowly and then Bring him Home to end ( I might have missed one). The audience did finally shut up for the last song, which in my opinion was the loveliest I’ve ever heard it, it was a soft and emotional rendition. He did say during his set that this would be the last corporate event he would sing at. I got the impression that it was not the first time that this situation had happened to him.

Photobucket
We had such fun on that dance floor, I took a hilarious video of two of us (who shall remain nameless to protect their dignity) dancing to Falling Slowly, everyone was happy. I think the dance floor was full but I don’t know for sure because I don’t think I turned around once!!
Lee thanked us for listening as he left the stage saying something like, “To all those that listened, I hope you enjoyed it, to all those that didn’t, I hope the wine was worth it”. He had a chat with Denise Horne (the chairman) and a small group waiting with her. One of our party was desperate for a photo so we asked him but just as we did so, they were asking us to move away because they were about the start the auction so Lee invited us to come outside *major swoon* and do the photo there, we meltingly obliged and followed like little lambs !!! Hehe. We went to just in front of the bar area in the reception room and did a group photo there. He was lovely and gave us a gorgeous smile for our photo. *swoon, sigh, melt, ahhhh* I held his arm as it was round the back of the lucky lady next to me! I like to think of that opportunity as a thank you from him for our attention while he was singing.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Wow Jazzy, great review. The photos bring it to life. So sad that Lee felt he hadn't been listened to. At least he had your group's rapt attention! How lovely to get a photo with him. Thanks for taking the time to share it all.

Can't get the sizing on this, hope its not too small.
Photobucket
After that we somehow ended up back in the ballroom but the auction had passed us by LOL, well I don’t remember it anyway! The prices were way out of my league. Then the sweet came accompanied with sparklers held by the waiters!
Finally we had another singing group called Mixed feelings. They sang a selection of 80’s hits and Abba, the usual party stuff that most people know the words to and don’t care singing them when they are drunk...you know the kind of thing!! We danced to all the songs, hardly taking a breather. One of us had a fun moment dancing with one of the Holby City cast . Once the band finished we gathered our complimentary goody bags and headed back to our hotel for some reviewing of the evening. I didn’t go to bed until 4am and woke up with an extremely dodgy hangover but thankfully I made it home without any hiccups.... apart from leaving my purse unzipped after buying my ticket and all my change fell everywhere as I was about to go through the automatic barrier #embarrassing!

I would never have gone to this amazing hotel if it had not been for my interest and love of Lee’s work and the friends who I have met on this incredible journey, so thank you to all of them. It was such a lovely evening and was a welcome stop gap between West End Men and the Pantomime. I hope you have enjoyed reading it. These reviews take so long!

The sweet
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks Jazzy for taking the time to tell us about the Ball I am glad you enjoyed yourself,sorry about lack of interest when Lee was singing,I had an idea something like that was happening I saw a tweet that I thought was very rude the remark he passed was uncalled for,I am sure Lee appreciated all his fans attention though cheers xx

Closer....
Photobucket

And closer...
Photobucket
You gotta love that smile.

This is how much fun we had!
Photobucket

Photo credits..Me Jazzylou, Joan and possibly Petrus for the last one!

Great review (and pics) Jazzy!

The food looks fab!

What a pity about the insessent talkers - I'd have thought that people who can afford to shell out that kind of money for an evening out would know how to behave...but evidently not!

Last two.

Angela Rippon doing her speech
Photobucket

My favourite of Lee
Photobucket

I do have a song on video from the night, am I allowed to post it here or is it not a good idea? It is on my facebook page and it went down well over there!

Thanks Jazzy for taking the time and trouble to give us such a detailed review, it's really good, can see it would have taken you ages to do(and thanks to the Ladies who took the pics). It sounds like you had a fantastic evening (you all look lovely....as does Lee ). Lots of shared memories you'll never forget. How very rude of people to talk through Lee (or anyone's) performance, they obviously have no manners, but I'm sure Lee appreciated your support.

I went to The Dorchester once (with 2 WJ Ladies!) for Champagne Afternoon Xmas tea, although obviously that doesn't compare to your evening. It was the year Lee first performed at The Barbican and it snowed when we came out and was magical. Like you, I doubt if I'd ever have done that had it not been for meeting like-minded Ladies where Lee's concerned.

Dear Jazzylou, thankyou so much for your brilliant review and photos
it is so much appreciated by all of us. Ladies you all looked
absolutely gorgeous as did our lovely Lee. I am not surprised about
some people not paying attention, it seems that the more money people
have the less manners they have, hopefully not all of them are like that.
I was pleased to hear about the remark Lee made to the audience, polite
but to the point. Good on you Lee. I should imagine he was so delighted
to see some of his fans at the Ball.
I noticed the remark that ignorant auctioneer made, but he also tweeted
rude remarks about other celebs, he said he was sitting next to Angela Rippon
and then put "Yawn" at the end of it.

Once again, thankyou to all of you for taking the time to post photos and
reveiws.

Jazzy thank you so much for your review of one of the most memorable nights of my life.
I was so proud & happy to be with you girls.
I certainly would not have had the nerve to have done something like this without you all.

Just one minor correction. the vid of us dancing was when Lee was singing "Better" one of my favourite songs #thatsmyexcuse

Thank you Jazzy, a terrific review and lovely photos to boot! enjoyed reading that xx

Jazzy, thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about the evening & for all your photos.
It sounds a fantastic evening & one you'll remember for a long time.

Jazzy I admit to being the one that was dancing with the Holby doctor.

Photobucket

Oh dear not very sophisticated was I?

There's a lot more photographic evidence of that dancing, isn't that right Joan??!

Jaz that is a great review, thanks for taking the time to do it x

Thank you, Jazzy, for your great report and pics. What a wonderful evening it seems to have been. You all looked fantastic. I can feel the excitement building as you describe getting ready, arriving, the meal, Lee .... I was sitting at home in abject misery on Friday night, wondering why on earth I hadn't gone!

I read that man's rude tweets, too. I see he's deleted the Angela Rippon one now, but not Lee's.

Ooh, Joan, get you - hobnobbing & dancing with Holby's finest!

What an amazing evening you had! You all looked so lovely. Thank goodness you were there to be the audience Lee truly deserves. And how gracious of Lee to ask you outside for some personal time with him. What a doll he is!

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post your review, Jazzy.

Lovely review and photos for those who couldn't be there.

Probably best in the circumstances

You all looked lovelee..inc Mr Mead. He,obviously, was annoyed but still took time to have photo and chat with genuine people. Didn't realise he'd said about it being last corporate performance while on stage..although I don't blame him.
Have been to "ordinary" dos where people have talked..not quietly.. and have always thought it was rude. Probably Lee had to keep off Twitter that night

Thank you for all the information and pictures, that was great.

Thanks for your lovely comments ladies. It took a long time to do but I know how I feel myself when others go and I wasn't able to so it was the least I could do to show you a little bit of how it went.

Does anyone have the exact tweet that Adam Partridge put about Angela Rippon? I didn't see it.

Joan thank you for your picture, lucky you dancing with that guy!
Haha I forgot the song on my own video, comedy!!

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the evening with me

p.s I didn't see many 'Daddy's little rich girls' as the clientele was a little more mature but that didn't make them better behaved!

Jazzy I read last night that Angela's has been deleted but not the one about Lee any chance of putting the video up that you did?

Jazz, it's ok to put the video up! It will add to an already lovely review. Thank you!

Thank you Jazzy for your fabulous review, and sharing with us, your superb evening with lovely friends, and of course our Gorgeous Lee.
Many thanks to everyone who shared their photos as well.

Wow! didn't you all look absolutely wonderful too, in your lovely dresses and bling. So glad the evening lived up to everyone's expectations, and you all had such a lovely time...
Certainly an evening never to be forgotten that's for sure.
Looking forward to seeing the video now.
Thank you again for sharing it with us.

Jazzy, many thanks for telling us all about your special evening plus the fab pictures of the hotel, food, your glamorous selves and not forgetting our lovely Lee.

So pleased all went well after the anticipation and excitement of looking forward to it.

Ah yes, AnnieB, I remember it well. Especially our surprise when the pianist started playing a very familiar tune which had been requested on our behalf. It was magical, wasn't it.

Thank you Kirsten for the green light on this one. Glad you liked the review

This was his last song, Bring Him Home. The audience did behave themselves this time. I love the way he gets into the zone before he starts; I think it was a bit harder this time but he got there as he always does! I love the emotion he brings to it.

Some of you may have seen this as its on my facebook page but for those that haven't, grab a tissue first!

Enjoy! xx

9Just in case you don't know) Click the little square with the arrow in at the bottom of the vid to get the full size....Mr Mead is best viewed in full size

Thank you so much Jazzy for the vid it is beautiful to listen to

Thanks so much Jazzy for taking the time to write your review and post all the photos, I love reading people's reviews and you really brought it alive. You all looked amazing and I am so pleased that Lee had some loyal support on the night, it makes me really cross to think of those people being so rude and thoughtless. How lovely too that you got some time with Lee for a photo, he must have recognised that you had all being paying attention! The video almost had me in tears but I fought it! I haven't heard his voice live since February and how I've missed it, I wish he had another tour lined up, hopefully he has lots of exciting things planned that we can see him in soon. Thanks again x

Wonderful vid, Jazzy! I love the way that Lee performs a song - he really is a fabulous actor and uses his voice so well.

I'm glad you like it. Apart from the dodgy sound in places, its a bit of a gem as we don't often get the chance to film. I was right at the front but my camera doesn't have any lights on so it didn't distract Lee and because I was standing up, it didn't distract anyone else..kerrching!!

Clare sorry you haven't seen him live since February, it always seems an age from one event to another doesn't it.

I was worried that nobody would see the vid tagged on because the ball was on Friday and everyone has probably seen it now and not thought to pop back in.

I will admit to having one or two more but with the background noise it would be unfair of me to put them here. I always like Lee to be seen at his best.

Thank you so much, Jazzy, for the lovely video and review. It was very kind of you to go to so much trouble for us!

Jazz thank you so much for that review and beautiful video,for those of us who could not be there it was a treat. Bless you for doing this.

Thanks Jazzylou for the detailed report, photos and video! Next best thing to actually being there

Thank you Jazzy and all for your reports. Love the photos, don't you all scrub up well. The video, well. Just brill, thanks.

You look great in your posh frocks! I don't blame Lee for not wanting to do another corporate event, how rude of people to talk while he was performing. But wasn't he lovely to ask you to go outside with him for a photo?

Could you possibly tell me what song Lee was singing on your video as I do not get the soundtrack? Thanks.

Congratulations on a wonderful review Jazzy, next best thing to being there( where I would like to be). You all looked gorgeous and as if you were having a fabulous time, who wouldn't with someone special signing just for you Laides!! Lee's Ladies!! LOL The smile on his face in the group pic says a thousand words!
Thanks once again and to the others for some of the pics. And fancy our Joan dancing with a Doctor TV star!!! LOL

Sue, Lee was singing 'Bring Him Home'

Thank you Jazzy for the wonderful review, photo's & video. Much appreciated - you all looked fabulous. Thank you for sharing x

Thanks Jazzy for a wonderful review, photos and video. You all look great in your ballgowns. I'm glad Lee had some of his true fans there at the ball. I do feel upset on Lee's behalf that people were so rude to talk over him singing. Good on him to say he would not do another corporate event, and the comment he made at the end. I'm glad Lee had a photo with you all at the end- he looks happy there.

SOoooooooooooo jealous of you Jazzy. It seems like forever since I heard his voice. No chance of seeing the Panto or going to Leicester either. I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!
Glad you had a fab time, and thanks for the review though!

Hi Toni,

So sorry you are not able to make any of the concerts or the panto. At the risk of making everyone green, I felt that it was better for you to see what went on. I know how annoying it is when you know someone has been somewhere and then you hear nothing. These forums need feeding or they will die.
I hope the video helps, I've listened so many times, I love that song and he just sings it so brilliantly. I think the alcohol actually helped to steady my hand on this occasion.
Best wishes xx

I've just watched your video Jazzy. Wonderful! He puts so much emotion into it. It's a treat for those of us who haven't seen him live for some time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I was just thinking how good the video was considering you were a) standing up, b) (Guessing here)probably a little p.....d, and c)quite close to Mr Mead!!! Impressive stuff!
Seriously though, I love the video. Thank you. I agree with your comments. You can never have enough reports, reviews,pics etc. You only have to read through all the grateful remarks above and realise how little people get to see Lee to know they will always be appreciated.
In other news, I have to go to see (wasn't my idea) the touring Joseph with KJ tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might cope? (I'm thinking a blindfold and earplugs!!) Not being unkind, but I don't like seeing shows that I have seen Lee in. Is anyone else the same?

Yes Cassie just the same Keith was in my home town with the touring Joseph but I didn't go to see it,I think I would have been comparing all the time,it just wouldn't be the same with it not being Lee

1 2