​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
West End Men - GLASGOW

Thought I'd start a fresh thread for all the Glasgow news.

An interview with Lee in Scotland's Evening Times, promoting the show:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/times-out/concert-lee-is-more-than-just-a-west-end-boy-107083n.19376266

A tweet from Ramin with our Beany Baby Lee:
(looks like Lee and Stephen are getting ready to pull a heist, lol!)

Ramin Karimloo‏@raminkarimloo
Last minute touches this afternoon backstage. Great venue, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall http://instagr.am/p/SArXUEi-0V/

And if you missed it before:
-The West End Men Facebook page has videos and pix:
http://www.facebook.com/TheWestEndMen

-Lee's interview on BBC Radio Scotland (5 days left to listen again):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nq454

Re: West End Men - GLASGOW

Is that the first beany sighting of the autumn?

Thanks for all the links PKP and the nice fresh thread - ready for reports of tonight's concert (hopefully)

I thought it was interesting that the Evening News article on Lee said that he is the 'poster boy' for WEM. He is probably the most widely recognised of the men due to ADWD but Ramin and Stephen certainly have their admirers! Yet Lee seems to do all the radio and press interviews for WEM (unless I have missed interviews with the others). Given the concept behind the concerts and the fact that they aim to present a vibe of good camaraderie between the men, with interesting and fresh arrangements of well known songs for the trio, I am surprised that the promo hasn't tried to capitalise on this. It would be nice to see Lee, Ramin and Stephen appearing together on TV shows such as This Morning, Alan Titchmarch etc.

I live in hope!

WOW,WOW,WOW

Just got home.Fantastic concert.Will try to get my thoughts in order in the morning for a proper report.

Some photos with these tweets--

GAMTA‏@GAMTA
The students after their stunning performance in WEST END MEN with RAMIN KARIMLOO, LEE MEAD, STEPHEN... http://fb.me/21yTdpaxQ

Natalie Weir‏@nataliewei
@leemeadofficial @stephenrahman_h @raminkarimloo @WestEndMen
https://twitter.com/natalieweir/status/268864710814863360/photo/1

Natalie Weir‏@nataliewei
@stephenrahman_h @leemeadofficial @raminkarimloo
https://twitter.com/natalieweir/status/268864573510152192/photo/1

Rachael Moyle@RachaelMoyl
@racchyxo and lee #standered http://instagr.am/p/SBvL__KKbo/

Sharon Wilkinson-G‏@HaloScotgal
@westendmen @raminkarimloo @leemeadofficial @stephenrahman_h Link to a few photos I took tonight :)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151108118522190.439406.694277189&type=1

Many more appreciative tweets if you do searches for #westendmen or West End Men or @leemeadofficial, plus they did a car Q&A for awhile when the 3 guys started driving back down to London to get Stephen to his flight to Asia in the morning. Sounds like it went rather well!

Thanks PKP I hadn't seen some of those!

Joansee, looking forward to hearing how it went last night.

That Q&A session was fab! Glad I was still up!!

Me too Jazzy. Lucky to have caught all the Q&A. Feeling a bit sleepy this morning though!

Thanks for the pics PKP! The concert seems to have gone well

Poor WEM having to drive straight back to London afterwards but I enjoyed the Q & A - not surprised Lee ended up with a sore thumb as he was tweeting up a storm!

One question was "Fave song you each performed tonight?". Lee replied "Fix You for me, Go the Distance for Steve, Paint it Black Ramin". Interesting. I hope Ramin didn't see another tweet to Lee "u were all amazing but u should really kick the others off stage + sing Paint it Black on your own!!" LOL!

Thanks PKP and Greycat for all the links, going by the tweets I have
seen it sounds as though it was an amazing night, well done guys.

I have just seen a tweet from Lee saying he has just done the nursery
run, that's after a 7 hour car drive from Glasgow, I don't know
where he gets all his energy from. Such a lovely guy.

The photograph re-Tweeted by Lee is of the cast performing Bohemian Rhapsody. Looks good - was amazing. A great night and a real treat not to have a long journey to see Lee. It was lovely to meet some of the ladies who came north for this special occasion. Hope you all had a safe journey home.

Last night was amazing.I went with some trepidation as I last saw Lee singing in Joseph in Nov.2007.I did see him in LASC but that was a different scenario.I wondered whether time and my expectations may have changed my outlook on his ability.However I was not disappointed.I came home with an even greater admiration of him, and a new admiration of Ramin and Stephen.

I must first say how impressed I was with the complete performance.
The staging was simple but with several levels so nothing except the scattered positioning of the musicians was static.The whole show flowed
seamlessly with well managed intermingled solo and group renditions.
All the musicians were superb;ably directed by Will Stuart who almost made his piano dance;Howard McGill changing from flute to clarinet to saxophone with ease;Jo Nicholls provided great harmonies on bass guitar and double bass;Tommy Emmerton on guitar gave several individual cameos and they were all supported by the well named Toby Drumm(er)ond.In my view they all complemented the singers performances with sensitivity.

Now to the performers.I intended not to mention individual songs in case it spoiled Gateshead and Leicester for others but as some have already been mentioned elsewhere I will put in my most memorable.
The first group mumber grabbed the audience and didn't let it go.Stephen and Ramin followed with gusto then then Lee."softly,gently" he surronded us with his musical magic,in complete and utter contrast.He followed with Close Every Door and my tears flowed!He then perched on a stool and introduced Fix You which I did not know but is now the stand out song for me.It was so sincere and moving.
I could go on and on,but there was not one part of the entire evening that I did not enjoy.Paint it Black by all four singers seemed to have a new dimension,Bohemian Rhapsody was unbelievable with all four personalities shouting out.Then the addition of the music students'chorus to Les Miserables was the icing on the cake.Oh and the shiney shoes they must get a special mention!!!!! A truly wonderful evening.

My non loppy friend and I missed our bus by three minutes an hour to kill in a cold damp bus station? no there's a good bar just on the corner and surprise surprise Suex and her sister followed us in.Of course our programmes identified like minds,and they were closely followed by the entertaining WJ ladies and many more.Sorry ladies I'm hopeless with names.
but I hope you all get home safely to Dublin and Devon ,Liverpool and all points south.Ihope to meet you all again and I applaud your enthusiasm.Lee is certainly worth following .He is amazing

Thanks for the review, Joansee! Glad he didn't disappoint, LOL.

Great stuff! Sounds like a fab night was had by all!

Fab review Joansee, thank you. I'm glad to hear that Lee lived up to your expectations after all this time. Wow he must have changed a lot and for the better!
I love 'the first song' I think its my favourite of the night but then I go through the others and they all blow me away.

Thank you Joansee. So good to hear it all went well and the men wowed the audience. A week tomorrow for me yippee!!!!

Thanks for all the links PKP & for your great review Joansee.
It sounds a fantastic evening. I love him singing 'Fix You' too.

Hi Joansee.
Thanks for your great review. It was lovely to meet you and to see Liz again
It certainly was a fabulous Concert. You have covered everything so well but I must just add the joys of the prolonged perch on the The Stool !! Maybe because the whole of the WJ contingent were sat right in front of it it took on special signifigance for us I can certainly report that he has kept in shape in LA

The whole show was polished, slick and very, very professional. Like you, I don't want to spoil things by saying anything about the set list but all of you going to Gateshead or Leicester have a huge treat in store.
I thought Ashleigh was fantastic and she certainly gelled with Lee on stage and they had a lovely bit of banter about as he put it, "A one night stand". She made sure he explained it was a one night stand in Wicked when she played Elphaba when Rachel was off sick She said " explain please, my dad is in the audience tonight"

The Les Mis set was truly wonderful with all four of them on stage plus, as you say the young choir. I was so glad Lee took the Val Jean lead in "One Day More" as Ramin would have been expected to lead that, after playing the part in the WE. Our man was beyond brilliant and soared above the others as he was supposed to.It gave me goosebumps.
He told us in one little bit of chat halfway through, that he had felt nervous at the start as he " hadn't sung in public for a while". He didn't show he was nervous at all and it was such a wonderful moment when he first emerged on stage after several months not seeing him live.

Oh Sue I am picturing it all. It seems so long since Guildford that I might just cry when he walks on. Must get a grip

Thank you for your brilliant revidew, Joansee - lovely to meet you too.

I've just been googling - as you do - and found masses and masses of photos and vids on Jonathan Ansell's forum of all places. Many thanks to the fan who took the pics. I'll do a link and hope you can all see them.

Concert photos and vids

Thanks for the brilliant find and posting all the gorgeous photos and
videos Another Liz.

Thanks A/Liz for pic's and video's fantastic

Nice to catch up again Liz and Lovely to meet you Joansee Thanks for a great review too.
Thanks also A/Liz, PKP, Sue and ladies for all the 'info' and reports.

Thanks for that link - how great to have all these goodies to look back on. Jonathan Ansell was Ramin's guest at his concert in Glasgow in May, so that may be the connection.

Wow, great photos and other goodies! Thanks for that link!

Thanks, ALiz and SueC! Lee goodies! Mmm mmm!

Love the "one night stand" joke!

Wonderful vids.Thanks so much.
I'm still on a high since Wednesday

Thanks everyone for your reports and all the 'goodies'.

It was a brilliant night, I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

I am so jealous of you all, especially as I had a great seat booked that I couldn't use. The Concert sounds amazing and I can't wait for Gateshead.

Thanks for all the photos and reviews.

Stephen R-H has posted a vid on Twitter (youtube) of You Raise Me Up:

You Raise Me Up

Great sound quality on this one.

Having said that Stephen posted it on Twitter, it's by someone else on Youtube, and if you look at the other vids by this poster, there are more of the WEM from Glasgow .....

Bui-Doi from Miss Saigon:

Bui- Doi

The West Side Story medley:

West Side Story

Finally, Paint it Black, including Ashleigh Grey:

Paint it Black

There are songs by Ramin, too, but sadly no individual numbers from Lee. Never mind, these are great!

Wow !! Thanks A/Liz

Many thanks, A/Liz. Lovely

Thanks A/Liz!

WSS - Loving it! Memo to Johndeep - That's how you sing 'Something's Coming'!

You Raise Me Up - Did they have backing singers?

Bui Doi - Great stuff! Cameron Mackintosh should cast Lee and Ramin as Chris and John in the upcoming 'Miss Saigon' WE revival!

LOL, Jo - yes, during YRMU I half expected to see Keith, Lewis et al emerge from the shadows ......

Thanks A/Liz that is really great, brings back memories,Lee looks gorgeous as always

Ooh, they've added Bohemian Rhapsody now:

Bohemian Rhapsody

@montedarlo has posted a pic from rehearsals at Glasgow:

Glasgow rehearsals

Thanks for lovely relaxed shot of Lee!

Thanks for the find A/Liz