​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My WEM experience. Leicester

I had a good start to Friday the 23rd, I was apprehensive as always about getting my trains to leicester. I always find train journeys a bit romantic and exciting as there is always someone special at the end of them but at the same time there is always that element of stress about everything running smoothly. I bumped into Sue C at the station so we travelled together. I must thank you Sue, for being a great travel companion and helping me get my change at Birmingham!

Jackie picked me up in her car from Burton on Trent and we drove to her house in Repton where she was letting me stay for the night. I had a (very!) warm welcome from her dogs and we chatted (Jack and I, not the dogs) got ready and set off in the car for Leicester about 4.00. We met friends in The Old Horse pub before the gig and it was good to catch up. I think a glass of wine or two has become a necessity before these events. It just 'sets you up' for what you are about to see on stage.....it's not absolutely essential.....gin, Whiskey...anything will do..

As we took our seats in the auditorium there were hello's and waves all round. It's lovely after four years to still see the same loyal faces and continue to meet new fans. It's a great atmosphere. Always. I went for the cheap seat, row B, a bit of a neck stretcher but an absolute bargain in my opinion. I didn't realize that Petrus and friend were just down from me, we talk daily on line and I find her two seats away, never knew this. Her quick thinking meant I was able to dive into a spare next to her. It meant I was very central. Result!

That tense music I remembered from Guildford kicked things off as the musicians took to the stage. And one by one the men arrived to cheers. Lee got the biggest, I'm not splitting hairs...it's a fact! All three looked absolutely gorgeous I have to say. I'll borrow a word from Petrus. 'Swarthy'. They looked swarthy and 'expensive'. Who can resist a man in a suit eh? 'Pure imagination' was as good as I remember, it's full of promise and not the obvious big- in your face- number you'd expect to kick things off. I think it works really well.

I'm never very good at remembering the order of the set so you'll have to correct me in your mind. I can't remember what came where but I can certainly tell you the things that stood out for me. I hope that's ok! I have been singing 'Music of the night' (badly) to myself for weeks, its up there with my favourites. To hear this beautiful melody coupled with Lee's voice is one of life's simple pleasures for me. As you know, in this section of the concert the three men each sing a song in turn and it results in a clever amalgamation of all three. This is very affective although Ramin's song was sunset Boulevard and I felt it overpowered the others a little bit.

Obviously when discussing my favourites it's fair to say that most feature Lee. While this is true it's refreshing to know that I absolutely ADORE 'The Journey Home' Stephen's number from Bombay Dreams'. It means it's one of those shows where I am looking forward to something around every corner. There is no 'twiddling your thumbs- Pharaoh moment' in this show.

the one thing I can say about this gig is that it's sexy. before this review I actually looked up 'sexy' in the thesaurus- not wanting to repeat the word too much in this write up which I'm sure I'm in danger of doing! well I couldn't find 'sexy' in my thesaurus......which would suggest no other word comes close? so I apologise now if I repeat the 'S' word

Lee gave us a lovely lead up to 'Close every door'. He told us of how a chap dressed in a hoodie and baggy jeans came up to him once and said 'you the Joseph guy innit?' I don't believe he said Chav but you knew exactly what he meant. We were treated to an impression too. He swaggered up to the mic hip hop style and said the line in a mock gangsta/urban style accent! (think Dappy from N Dubz) it was cool and demonstrated Lee's acting skills, it made me think- I wanna do accents! it was also very sexy in a way. I love it when he momentarily takes on a different persona! It leaves you wanting more. Naturally that song blew us away yet again. I can take or leave 'Any dream will do' but 'Close every door' never fails to delight and move me. I love this slightly haunting arrangement with the addition of the flute.

I have a friend who is obsessed with 'fix you'. She loves it for a reason and I know why. I expect you do too. If you don't then I'm sorry I cannot tell you (well not on here anyway).....but I will tell you this- he begins sat on a stool, he sings it so tenderly but you know what comes....the song moves up a gear. He gets off his seat and mentally builds for the 'tears stream' bit. His face looks full of angst, it's almost a bit painful to watch but you need to watch, it's quite intense! His last few lines, the very last few were gruff and quiet and he sounded spent. Now you see don't you...

As I said earlier, you can't beat a suit but in act 2 I had heard that they come on in black jeans, black jackets and shirts. I was dribbling at the thought! Sure enough they opened the second half looking like this and the look definitely went with the slightly more laid back vibe. Really, Swarthy is definitely the word. Matt Rawle's absence was noteable for me, to me he gave the show an edge and had an 'alternative' look about him, he had effortless cool about him. But this new line up with Ramin is definitely a good call. They fit well with their similar look of olivy skin and dark hair- Lee looking slightly tanned after his recent trip to LA. The Westside story slot is a highlight for me. I love the laid back jazzy vibe and it almost feels like a free for all/ad libing arrangement except it's not, it's obviously well rehearsed, very polished. I love the interaction between them, the tongue in cheek dancing, the 'look at this for a move!' type of showing off. It's very subtle but there is a little element of showing off there and a bit of one upmanship. winks and grins are exchanged between them. They all came together for one lucky lady in the front row, they were on their knee's, singing for her, she collapsed into giggles as they sang her the final notes. They were totally charming and I don't know how she didn't melt into a puddle of goo!

Re: My WEM experience. Leicester

Ashleigh Grey is a delight in her supporting role. A pretty girl with gorgeous curves, her long tumbling curls to one side. She had stage presence but she didn't overpower, she knows how to work the guys. She had fun in a solo- I can't remember the song. She previously told us how she was going to choose one of our men to duet with- cue excited looks from the boys. So she sang her song as each man in turn tried to impress her and get the sought after duet. Stephen romantically spun her round and danced playfully, she wandered over to Ramin sat on a raised block and cheekily sat on his lap while singing and for Lee she shimmied up to him and took his stool while he stood there like the cat that got the cream! of course we knew that he got the duet and 'As long as you're mine' followed. Not as intense and 'acted' as the version we know and love in Wicked but Ashleigh has a gorgeous voice nonetheless. Her 'defying gravity' was great too. A nice change to hear someone else sing that song.

I have to stop! I'm being dragged out to the pound shop....reality strikes

Thanks Coofy that is fantastic for someone who has never been to WEM and most likely never will( they don't seem to come near me) a lovely read

Wow, Coofy, what a great review. I was right there with you (especially for Fix You

Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you (and others maybe?) will add more thoughts as you remember them.

Yes, I need to finish this! more later but first I have veg to prepare. Hate Sunday jobs..

The only number I wasn't entirely happy with was Paint it black, I felt Ashleigh's voice was a bit sharp and shrieky during it. If it had been just the three men I think it would've worked, it didn't bother me that it's usually Lee that sings this.

One song that I'm sure wasn't in the set at Guildford was 'oh what a beautiful morning'. If someone had told me they were to sing this I wouldn't have been sure, not convince it'd work? Lee was sat by the piano, Stephen stood in the middle and Ramin then picked up a banjo much to everyone's delight. It was a surprise and an interesting turn. Is this song from a musical? does anyone know? it's normally one of those songs that I associate with humming round the house while doing chores, this version was lovely though! It had a country vibe to it and Lee and Stephen swayed while Ramin strummed away. It was a song to join in to, we were encouraged, but it wasn't cheesy at all. It was very relaxed and casual and it really worked and I felt it brought us all together.

Unfortunately when the Les Mis section starts I know that the show is nearing the end. I've said this before and I'll say this again, I MUST see this musical one day. The addition of the choir makes it a powerful number with big impact, it seems to be up there with the greats, a show that EVERYONE loves and EVERYONE wants to be a part of. Well I know that's not true but that's the impression you get from this number. All that was missing this time was the iconic march. I love that bit and was dissapointed that it wasn't part of it.

I'm quite happy to see Lee on stage with Stephen and Ramin, it doesn't matter that this gig is shared. I think they all compliment each other beautifully, you can tell they are good friends and there is a definite connection there. I'd love to be in their company after, imagine a car full on the motorway going home....the testosterone! the stories, the banter (they probably just snooze but in my mind they don't!)

Bohemian Rhapsody closes the show, what a way to go! You can tell it's a really fun song for them and they really let rip on the vocals. As they all took the bow at the end Lee led them in this, it's the little details! he stamped his foot twice and that was their cue to bow down. A simple little thing that did me in! Lee the boss for a few seconds, taking the lead. Sexy (I'm allowed that one, I haven't said it too much!)

And finally, two more things to put under that umbrella-
I forgot to mention- how could I forget this? he came on in his shirt in the second half with buttons undone and chest hair on show. No need to explain this, you know what chest hair is....what can I say? but chest hair on show. Yup.

Finally finally finally, we saw him go off! in a CAR! he DROVE! now excuse me for capitals, I know driving a car is the most ordinary of tasks but LEE driving a car is quite something. I saw him indicate and everything....

sexy

The song 'Oh What a Beautiful Morning' is from the musical Oklahoma by Rogers and Hammerstein :) x

I hesitate to follow on from Coofy's fabulous review, but will try to add a few personal details. Seeing Lee 'in the flesh' is a rarity for me ( 2 visits to 'Jo', 1 each to 'Wicked' and 'LB', 1 to each of his previous concert tours), seeing as how I live in the NW. On all these, I was accompanied by my OH who is not that interested really and just wants to arrive and leave promptly - you get the picture? As a result, there was no 'stage dooring' for me, apart from the first 'Joseph' when my daughter wanted an autograph!
WEM seemed out of the question, being so far away, UNTIL my OH announced last Tuesday that he was going to Wales for the weekend on a an all-male trip - my chance had come.
I quickly organised trains( 4 each way!), a hotel and a theatre ticket (thanks to Mazy) and set off excitedly on Friday lunchtime. I arrived at the hotel in good time, and was told that several ladies were also staying there and that they were going to meet up with others at the pub down the road. I walked there and went in but, as I have never met any of you, did not have the courage to approach a group of ladies that might have been the LOPPIES and so walked on to the venue.
As I was early, I went UP to the bar for a drink....it was only when I met up with Mazy to collect my ticket that she said that she had seen Lee and his parents in the DOWNSTAIRS bar!!!
The seat was fantastic - front row, in front of the piano - and THAT chair. The only time I could not see him was when he came on stage left, but that was never for long. and there was never any question that it was him - that voice is unmistakable! i won't go into detail about the actual songs, save to say they were all amazing - Coofy has described them so well! I was quite mesmerised by the whole concert and didn't want it to end. Maybe I am being selfish, but I would have liked more Lee solos and fewer from Ashleigh, although she was good.
Afterwards, a kindly usher told us where to go to get to the stage door - I knew that I had to collect my coat, but decided to go straight there ( apologies to Mazy for leaving without saying goodbye!) and, as a result, found myself at the very front - first in line :) . We waited a short time until Lee came out....I had my camera at the ready, but was shaking so much that it was completely blurred, :(, BUT I got the prized autograph, and Stephen's!! Unfortunately, Ramin took his time coming out, so I thought I better go and rescue my coat! I have never been so close to Lee - he really is beautiful and so humble - he made us feel that he was really grateful to US for bothering to come and see him! He still seems surprised at the adulation.
I went back to the hotel elated, but also sad that it was all over, and finally met the ladies staying at my hotel. I'm afraid that I can't remember all their names ( Jazzylou and Petra were two of them). It was great to finally put faces to some of the people on the forum.
Thank you, Lee, for a wonderful night!
Xx

Thanks Coof for that brilliant review. I've been itching to add but wanted to wait until you had finished.

I had a fab time too. Being a woosse and worried about the drive, a very good friend offered to drive me, herself and 2 others all the way there and back so thanks to her, thanks Sue xx

These trips for me are always about the whole experience and not just the show. Sharing good company, having a meal and a good catch up. I so enjoyed it for that.

Coofy has described the show so well that there is not much to add but I will put in a few of my fav bits.

One of the best bits for me is when Stephen sang Unchained Melody in act 2. He was stood in the centre at the back with a light on him from above and Lee was sat on the stool on the left in front of the piano.
Its such a tender love song and I found my eyes straying to Lee who was sat in the shadows under a blue light so I could still see his expressions. I could see that he was just living the song as Stephen sang and in places the line, I hunger for your touch, he closed his eyes and I could see that he was thinking of a loved one, it was a lovely moment to see and a beautiful song.
This is the moment.
Photobucket

The other song of Stephen's that I loved was The Journey Home, he sings it so well.

I thought they all looked so good together on stage, such chemistry and obviously friendship. I love the way the other two draw him out of his shell a bit.

After Unchained Melody, Stephen called Lee, Mr Curly and shouted out to the audience to ask us if we loved his curls, a very loud YES came back of course and Lee was probably a bit embarrassed and I thought he uttered 'Sh**' although it might just have been the first word from his next song slightly faltered at what had happened. It was a very funny moment anyway! I like that he feels he doesn't have to keep that good boy clean image that surrounded him during Joseph!

I wonder if Ramin has brought the more relaxed feel to act 2, with the jeans and unbuttoned shirts, well I'm not complaining!!

I think my favourite song of that night was You Raise Me up which was not in the program. They were so amazing at singing it together, it sounded beautiful.

Photo credit me for that last one!

Hi Michelle, it was lovely to meet you. I'm sorry that you were worried about joining us in the pub but I would have felt the same had I been in your shoes. So glad you enjoyed it and managed to see Lee at the SD. I think he was quite surprised to see how many people were waiting. It was quite a scrum wasn't it!! I think there was a high proportion of Ramin fans. Lee is so lovely with everyone isn't he. I managed to see him at the side after realising that the group in front of me were not going to budge. I saw everyone except Stephen who had gone in by the time I got to the front.

Photobucket

I hope they do another tour of it next year.

Photo credit: mee

Just one more thing, I really liked Ashleigh. I loved the way she sang Defying Gravity. Softer but strong and just nice to listen to. It was not all about her as it had been with Kerry and I felt she interacted with the guys really well.
I hope she stays.

Thanks for the reviews, ladies.

Thank you Ladies for wonderful revies and pics, it all sounds just wonderful. So glad everyone had a great time

Thanks for taking the time to write that lovely long review coofy. Reading it I was there with you!
Thanks Michelle & Jazzy too & for the gorgeous photos, here & on the WEM thread Jazzy.
I'm keeping everything crossed that there will some some WEM concerts in the South next year.

Thank you Coofy, Jazzy & Michelle for your reviews and photos. Although I was there, I can't add anything further to your reports. He was just stunning at Leicester, I thought!

To underline this, and for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen this pic on Twitter - stand by, ladies:

Drop dead gorgeous pic

Apparently this photographer has lots of other pics he is sorting out and will upload shortly!

Oooh, stunning pic!

Thank you Coofy, Michelle and Jazzylou for your reviews. Was a great evening wasn't it.
Also thanks A/Liz for the pic link, absolutely gorgeous .

A/Liz, that photo floors me every time.

I just love the way the blue light highlights his legs so I end up gazing at the bottom half more than the top half!!

Thanks A/Liz absolutely gorgeous!!!!!I hadn't seen it so grateful to you for putting pic's up for the likes of me who is not on twitter
cheers xx

Thankyou ladies. Lucky , lucky people that were there.
I miss him so much and was desperate to get this , but it wasn't to be.

Coof- I'm with you on the Lee driving vibe. Holey Moley! Imagine the knuckles you'd get with his hand on the gear stick! Imagine....no, I'd better not!

The picture is a killer.

OMG! That's his opening Joseph look, as he came down on the lifty thing and the 'net curtain' started to rise! (Gone all silly ... can't find the right words!)
Thought I'd never see that look again!

Thank you all so much for your reviews, photos and Links.
Absolutely fabulous ladies...

Lee, ('Perfection Personified' in his black shirt and leg hugging black jeans! with gorgeous smile and soft CURLS!... ) was certainly in 'tip top' form in Leicester, moving through the gears, (so to speak) as the evening progressed.
He looked as if he was really enjoying every moment of his time on stage.

We all know what you mean LOL!
He has been known to raise the odd 'BP' here and there!

Wow ladies. What a fab thread !! Thank you Coof, Jazzy and Michelle for amazing reviews and thanks so much for the fabulous pics. Blimey A/Liz, that one you've posted should come with a health warning. Too hot to handle
Loved the boots he was wearing with the black jeans, could they have been "cowboy boots"? Very classy.
It was great to travel with you Coof I can't add anything to your fantastic review except to say I think it was the best WEM yet. They all seemed on fire, I could have sat there all night listening to them. In fact I could quite easily still be sitting there given half a chance.
Lovely to see Steve and Jo in the audience supporting him.
Toni, great to see you on the forum. Hope all is going well for you xx

Abs has posted a lovely set of pics from Leicester over on Lovelees. Link below - which I hope takes you to the right page!

Lee in Leicester

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Thanks A/Liz, the link has worked for me...

Thanks Abs too...WOW!...you do take some really wonderful pics...
Thanks for sharing.

Can't thank everyone enough for all the brilliant reviews and links. Phew! It cxetainly was special wasn't it? Quite breathtaking in fact. I was lucky enough to have a seat right in the centre of Row B. Fabulous! It is the second time I had seen WEM but still hardly managed to take my eyes of Lee for the whole evening. Fix You was heartstopping and I particularly liked it when he turned his back to the audience in the instrumental bit. Beautiful well lit curls. ( I read with rapt attention your comments about Fix You Coofy! )
I was surprised by how much I really enjoyed Steven and Ramin's performances too. Ramin's voice is truly amazing at times and the word exuberant must have been invented for Steven! Even though I have seen them both before, I felt that they were tip top on Friday.
Another highlight for me was when Steven came to sing Maria to a certain lucky lady in front of me. I was sitting quite calmly when Lee suddenly rushed to the front of the stage too. It made my heart jump and I had to put my hand over my mouth to stop any inappropriate sounds coming out! The noise level from the audience went up so much at that point.
The huge crowd at the stage door was reminiscent of Joseph days. I could see his curly head bobbing about but couldn't get anywhere near sadly. Still, perhaps new fans had their chance and that is a good thing I suppose. (Just this once!!)
It was so lovely to meet up with everyone again. It all goes so quickly though doesn't it? Still, not too long to wait until the panto. (Little mention for Lee in the Sunday Telegraph yesterday in their panto round up section) I look forward to seeing many of you in December with our best panto shouting out voices at the ready. Frilly shirt and tights.....OMG.

Can i add my thanks for the great reviews and stunning photos Coofy, Michelle, Jazzyloo, A Liz and Cassie.

It was the most wonderful evening, and one i wasn't expecting to get to. A friends anniversary celebration we were to attend on Saturday was postponed because a number of guests were unable to get through the floods. I still had my WEM ticket, purchased months ago, so after a hectic couple of hours, i was able to find a hotel and make arrangements to get to Leicester - and it was so worth it. As has been said, the three of them complement each other so well. I also love "Journey Home".

Your reviews have covered the whole concert so well that there is nothing really to add, but if i can just relate a couple of things that stick in my mind. The build up from the band, then the first song, "Pure Imagination", there's the anticipation of who will come on first, it's Stephen - great voice and cheers from the audience. But then..... that unmistakable voice -with it's velvet, sensous tones emanating from the darkness of the stage wings - "We'll begin, with a spin, Travelling in the world of my creation", then Lee appears from the left to a rapturous reception .

I loved Ashleigh singing "At Last" - a great song, and the way the boys were fooling around while she was "choosing" who to do the duet with was hilarious. I think Stephen was pretending the smarten up his hair, Ramin was giving the impression that he was shaking with excitment, and Lee, sitting on the stool, cupped his hand, breathed into it and sniffed as if checking for bad breath

I know what you mean by Lee driving Coofy, been wanting to see that for yonks - one fantasy fulfilled. Now i want to see it happen in daylight

It was a great surprise to see you Ruth as I was upset when you said you couldn't make it to the show.

I persuaded Geoff that he would love the show so he agreed to drive me and Ingrid to Leicester. We did get lost driving into the Centre and totally missed our original choice of car parks but we were lucky to find another and somewhere to eat. We enjoyed our meal but got slightly lost again until we finally found the De Montfort Hall car park. We entered on the side into an almost empty bar and went up to order coffee. We were chatting to the lady behind the bar, describing our rather nerve-wracking journey. I said "all we need now is for Lee Mead not to be here!" At which the lady said "He's behind you!" You can imagine how I felt as I swung round and there he was sitting at a nearby table chatting to friends. OOPS!

I managed to restrain myself and we sat at a nearby table drinking our coffees. He was there for some time and I was able to glance his way and take in the curls and laughing face. I was very well-behaved and left him to his privacy and he left before we did.

While buying a programme I spied Debs and Tricia which was great as we haven't seen each other for ages.

I was a little apprehensive about Geoff's response to the show but I needn't have worried - he loved it. From the moment we heard the opening notes of "Pure Imagination" he was entranced as we really love that song. He was soon tapping his feet and getting quite emotional when Ramin sang "The Impossible Dream" and "Sunset Boulevard". I actually preferred Lee singing "The Garden" to "Fix You" but Ingrid was thrilled. The quality of the whole production was even more polished than in Guildford except for one point when Ramin and Stephen's spots were missed. It was easy to catch the amusement between the three of them when Lee was the only one who was spotlit. None of his fans minded that of course.

I actually preferred Ramin to Matt Rawle as I am a great fan, apart from the tattoos. Ugh!

Ashleigh seemed to fit in better than Kerry, perhaps because she only came on in the second half. "At Last" is a beautiful song and reminded me of Denise and James' wonderful dance to the same song in Strictly.

Thankfully there was no repetition of the extended musical virtuosity and so no need to get impatient. Although I should have liked more of Lee of course, the combination of the three men is wonderful. Coofynew the song "Oh What A Beautiful Morning" is from "Oklahoma" by Rodgers & Hammerstein.

Geoff was most impressed with the whole show and we agreed that in some ways it was more special than seeing each artist perform in a separate show. Not that I don't love watching them in their solo shows naturally.

I could cheerfully see this show every week.

I couldn't ask Geoff to hang around for the scrum as we had a long journey home but we saw the crowds as we walked to the car park. Another memorable evening. How much joy has that young lad brought into our lives!

Thanks for the great reviews everyone. A fabulous evening. I think it will be difficult to better this line up. The song choices were excellent. Would have liked Anthem but am not complaining!
The most spine tingling moment for me was Lee's entrance during the West Side Story segment. There was the unmistakeable timbre of his voice from the wings and then he appeared. Wow.
Also it was lovely to see so many faces I recognised from Joseph days. I just wish my memory for names was better.

Just settled down with a coffee to catch up with the forum news. Treated to a lovely read. Thank you all for your reviews and links.
Coofy how do you remember so much detail?
Another Liz, love the link to the gorgeous photo - stunning!!!
I felt I was reliving the concert A truly wonderful evening - your reviews say it all.
It was lovely to meet and chat with the WJ ladies in the hotel - I was a little nervous introducing myself but so glad I did.
Would love to see the WEM concert again - I hope there will be more dates next year.

Remember the Leicester Maria who was serenaded by the Men? Here's a memory just for her (courtesy of our friend @montedarlo, who is posting pics tonight):

Serenade for Leicester Maria

Get the crashmats out for the next one:

Wow wow wow!

Oh my goodness- WOW indeed.
Thanks Liz.

Oh Liz, as you know I have come down with shingles and I am crying with the pain of it. I have crawled to the poot to try and cheer myself up a bit and found your pic. I am slumped over the laptop, addled with painkillers, sobbing with pleasure at the sight of our beautiful man. Thanks for giving me a boost

Oh Sue, I do hope you are better soon. Sending virtual hugs. X

SueC. xx

Oh, Sue, so sorry about the shingles, how horrible! Get well soon! Apply lots of Meadicine!

Thanks for the link A/Liz - he looks like a young David Essex!

Get well soon, Sue!

Thinking of you Sue, shingles is very painful.
Hope the pain killers have started to do their work, and you feel a lot better soon.

Thanks for the links A/Liz...
Oooo!...he's just sooo! gorgeous.

Thanks for THAT photo A Liz!
Hope you feel better soon Sue.

Thanks A/Liz for the links. Think we'll have to get 'montedarlo' to be the Official Photograph to Lee, he's posted some beautiful photos.

Sue I feel for you. I had them once and it was the most painful experience I have ever had. Hopefully you bounce back quickly.

Sending hugs Sue & hoping you will be feeling better soon x

Aww ladies, thanks very much for your kind messages. I have just got back on the laptop after a few days feeling sorry for myself and it's a lovely surprise to see your posts. Phew, I must admit I have been feeling proper poorly and it's SO painful. The rash is all across my chest, so at least no one can see it. I knew from friends who have had shingles that it's horrible and I can now confirm that. For a few days I couldn't even think about, gaze at, or even oggle our man . Glad to say I am now doing all three again