​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Jack and the Beanstalk matinee

Hi, Just got back to London after the matinee at the Mayflower.
Absolutely loved it. I won't say too much as do not want to spoil
it for others going, I will just say Lee looked absolutely gorgeous,
especially sword fighting Lee.

Love maggiemay

Re: Jack and the Beanstalk matinee

I was there too Maggiemay, amazing wasn't it. Anyone going is just going to have the best time. It has everything, comedy, innuendo, singing, participation, amazing 3D. It felt like being in the West End!! Lee is very good and his voice is amazing at the moment. They were all brilliant, what a spectacle.

I'm going to add a photo of the finale, I hope you don't mind maggiemay. I don't think this spoils the show at all. Just uploading it.

Photobucket

Photo credit:Jazzylou

Nice to see Julian looking as understated as ever!

Worryingly, Lee suits his outfit, though it does remind me of Liberace!

Thanks for the photo Jazzy. Great show - really enjoyed it and thought Lee was fantastic. It seemed that the whole cast really enjoyed themselves and I loved the Lee & Julian bits !

Thanks Jazzylou for posting the lovely photo. The panto was
great wasn't it. Cannot wait to go again.

Lovely picture! Thank you!

Just in case anyone would like to know for travelling purposes,
the running time for the panto is approximately 2hours 30 mins.

Thanks for the photo Jazzy. Liberace! Although I have to say I much preferred him in his white shirt, waistcoat & tights outfit.

I was at the matinee this afternoon as well. I don't want to give too much away - but Lee sings (now there's a surprise! ), he dances, he flies, he swordfights, he climbs beanstalks, he's funny - and he gets the girl!

Julian is an absolute scream and Nigel is a great 'baddy' - a tiny little girl in the audience burst into tears of fright every time 'Fleshcreep' cracked his whip, and had to be taken out. Poor little soul - but she was VERY young.

Just back from the evening show. Like others, don't want to say to much but if you are going you will have the best time. The whole cast are excellent. Lee appeared to be having a great time and was just wonderful. There are plenty of laughs especially from Julian. I am so pleased I am going again.

Aww that sweet little girl, and little Jack stole the show .

Just to add that those who saw me with my teenage kids, they absolutely loved it and have talked about it all evening. We are looking at tickets for them to go again, but with hubby this time (after my silly dates mix up).
They understood the 'adult' references which was quite funny. It just proves that pantos really are for everyone, not just children

It sounds a marvellous show. Thanks for your brief reports.

I haven't been to a Panto for a long time, but yesterday's matinee just 'blew me away'.
It is an amazing, and very funny production, somthing for the old and young alike. I haven't laughed so much throughout a show for years.
Lee, (Jack) Julian, (Spirit Of The Beans) Nigel, (Fleshcreep) Paul, (Simple Simon and his puppet) Jeffrey (Dame Trot) and the rest of the cast were fabulous, and the 3D effect was an excellent addition to a Panto...
I just can't wait to go again.

That's a great photo Jazzy...thank you.

Can't add anything to thread other than to agree with everyone's comments, great show and so much fun. When you put the 3D glasses on it can be quite scary .
Pleased your teenagers liked it Jazzy, you've trained them well

Could I add just one little spoiler? Brown + Velveteen + back view =

I saw little Jack (or as his dad said - Tracy from now on)
on the platform at Southampton Station, had a little chat
with them, Jack is a lovely little boy, they seem like a lovely family.

Another pic has surfaced on Twitter

Annie B I agree with you about the 3D, I screeched LOL.

Maggiemay how sweet about little Jack

Cassie

There is a fantastic review from the Worthing Herald today!

Link

And another!

Link

I agree about the 3D. I was pathetically wimpy; I screamed, ducked and slid down in my seat. I haven't experienced those sort of effects before. I just thought it would make things look slightly more vivid! How wrong can you be! Had to close my eyes in the end! Perhaps I will "man up" before my last visit. (can't see it happening somehow)

Those are fab!

Thanks for the links Jazzy & Angelrose.
What fantastic reviews!

Thanks for all the links. Do you know if they are doing 3 performances per day?

They do 2 shows a day Sue. It's 12 shows each week with just one day off a week. Sure they'll all be pretty tired when it ends and want to

And yet more fantastic reviews (thanks to Ro for finding these!)

The Stage

Daily Echo

I'm just sorry I won't get to see the show

There is another fantastic review by WhatsOnStage. 5 Stars.
Sorry I don't know how to do a link.

Here we go:-

LINKY THING

Julian heckling Lee!

A lucky lady got a super pic with Lee today and has posted on Twitter:

http://instagram.com/p/Tykf7xl4AS/

Thanks Another Liz, lovely photo.

Beautiful pic; you should all look at this!

Thanks for all the 'Links' ladies
Lovely to see some really good reviews for this great Panto.
Looking forward to another visit very soon.

A/Liz...Thanks for the photo find of Lee with one of his fans...
Great photo...one very lucky lady.

I see Denise is taking Betsy to see Lee today along with a friend,it didn't say but I would think it will be matinee,Betsy will be thrilled to see her Daddy

Awww! Bless!...I'd love to see the look on her face, when she sees her gorgeous Daddy appear on the stage...

Thanks for the 'info' Acer

How cute that Betsy will be seeing her Daddy as Jack in panto. I hope she understands it all.

Thanks Curly Liz,I am just wondering what Betsy will be like if they put the glasses on her ? I dont mind admitting I was scared when those things kept coming at me it is so realistic

Here's a little pic of Betsy at the Mayflower with Denise and friend:

https://twitter.com/denise_vanouten/status/285400362859503616/photo/1

I think Betsy will need to close her eyes at the 3D bit - too scary for little ones!

Awww!...Lovely picture...sounds like Betsy loved the Panto...
Thanks Greycat

There's a lovely pic on Twitter of Lee with two little girl fans from earlier today - oops, yesterday (didn't realise it was this late!)

Linky thing

Thanks Another Liz, lovely photo.

Aww, that's cute!

And another nice photo taken today:

https://twitter.com/LouRall/status/286879332318715904/photo/1

It seems the lady (Louise) was one of Denise's companions on her Peru trek a couple of years ago

And a photo from last night:

http://instagram.com/p/UFPQ8Yi9t3/

I think the heavy panto schedule is catching up with Lee - his eyes look very tired!

Anyway, I hope anyone heading to Southampton this weekend has a great time

I agree with you Greycat but I don't think he is getting enough sleep he is always tweeting about going out to a party,it is bound to catch up on him and he said the other day he was tired

Arrh, Lee's young acer, only 31, he'll catch up on his sleep later .

As this thread seems to be where the photos are ending up , here are a couple from today:

https://twitter.com/Kimmy_kim6/status/288055071630049281/photo/1

https://twitter.com/SpaceHaribo/status/288037597111017473/photo/1

From Twitter of course.

Thanks ALiz!

The first photo looks as though it was taken wherever Lee was partying last night - I'd say he's definitely not miserable there!

Thanks A/Liz for the photos. Lee looks like he's enjoying himself.

I was lucky enough to see both shows on Saturday. The matinee with my good friend Joan and the evening with my family.

I can't remember what I put before but my kids who are now both teenagers love it and the eldest would go again if he had the chance!

I went on the train this time (my family drove down later to join me) and I got there before 11. This might have been my only opportunity to see the cast arriving so I headed straight to SD with my program. I think I saw all of the main cast and got signatures from all but the King (Ian) (lol).

I thought I would have a bit of fun and give awards they are as follows:

Jefferey Holland (Dame Trott) gets the 'kindest' award. He was coming OUT of the SD soon after arrived and was lovely and signed my program to me which was nice.

Robyn Mellor (Princess Apricot) recognised because she arrived with her hair completely in curlers gets the 'chattiest' award because she stopped for a short chat and an autograph

Lee (Jack) came in next, he wins the 'most gorgeous' award of course With wet hair and sexy tight black trousers. Stopped for a little chat about Betsy and signed my prog with a Best Wishes.

Julian Clary (Spirit of the beans) wins the 'tallest' award He chatted little and would only use his own pen bless him but he signed for me and posed for a photo so I was happy.

Paul Zerdin (Simple Simon) wins the 'grumpiest' award but not without reason, he had a horrible cold and was feeling awful . He covered it so well on stage that you would never have known apart from a slightly red nose! He signed his name for me

And last but nowhere near least, Nigel Havers wins the 'latest' award. With only 40 mins to curtain up and 1 minute until last actors call he arrived in his very lovely car looking extremely dashing and rushed straight past us to the waiting theatre hand. But ever the gentleman, he reappeared seconds later having put down his bags to sign for us. I didn't get chance for a photo as the guy I was waiting with wanted one (which I took for him) and then Nigel had to go in. Phew what a rush!

1 2