​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LAST NIGHT OF THE PANTO

What was it like please?

Re: LAST NIGHT OF THE PANTO

Looking forward to hearing some reviews of the last pantos and stories about seeing Lee. I hope the snow did not effect people too much. There were some treacherous conditions around.

Hi Sue,

I'm back from the panto. I have to say it was the biggest adventure I've had for a long time, from planning my way though the snow, meeting lovely friends and seeing Lee in various other places than the stage!

Both shows were very funny, the cast were in a party mood and had lots of fun with jokes. There were a couple of muck ups in the matinee but not as many as I was expecting.

In the evening show Lee, Julian and Nigel all made mistakes which was so funny.
Lee came in on his lines too early and Julian made a point of making fun of it. And then when they sit on the toadstools for Julian's song 'I was born under a wondering star', Julian forgot the words and sang dah da dah for a couple of lines then had to get his right cue to come back in. Lee was elated at this and did an arm and fist backwards movement and mimed 'yesss' as he was really happy that Julian had messed up too. A good moment.

Nigel also said something wrong but I can't remember it.

The songs, the dancing, were superb. Some of the girls were obviously sad that it was finishing.

We got a decent amount of chest hair in the bed scene at Dame Trott's house when Jack goes to bed! (one of my favourite scenes).

The flying scenes were funny and lovely and a bit emotional. The Titanic song that Lee sings, even though its a short piece, is lovely to listen to.

I am very sad that its finished but its been lovely to meet friends and see Lee enjoying the character. I think its been an education for him.

Thanks Jazzylou for taking the time to post a lovely review after,
what I should imagine, has been an horrendous journey home. Hope Lee
and everyone who went to Southampton gets home safely without too many
delays.

I only managed to go to the panto once on the first day, but absolutely
loved it and to watch Lee enjoying himself so much was brilliant.

Hope there will be some photos posted when everyone has recovered from
their travels. There are a couple of gorgeous photos of Lee taken at
the stage door after last night's performance posted by Ro on the timeline
twitter page. Thank you Ro.

Where does one find the Timeline twitter page to see Ro's photos?

Thanks Greycat for posting the link, I still haven't learnt how to do it.

Jan2 you click onto Ro's timeline page at the top of LMAS site and
you will see the link to the timeline twitter page,
just click on that.

Thanks Greycat for posting the photos of Lee. They are lovely.

Thanks Maggie May. I found the Twitter Timeline on Ro's Timeline. I also managed to find it via Twitter and via the internet.

Thanks Jazzy for a lovely review. Its nice to read about it when one cannot be there. I gather from Facebook that you were also in the same restaurant as Lee. An extra bonus for you.

Gorgeous photos. Thanks for the links Greycat.
Thanks for your review Jazzy. It sounds as if everyone was having a great evening - the audience and the cast. A bit sad that it's all over.
He has said he's off to America in March so it looks as if we are in for another Lee drought.

Lynne- Where did Lee say he is off to USA in March ? I've not seen anything.

In the radio interview that was broadcast earlier today.

Thank you all for reports and those lovely pix.

Well at least we know he's planning to do a tour and album, so it's not a drought with no end in sight! He does need a rest anyway after all that hard work for the last month.

Very sad for all the people who didn't make it, and can imagine how bad the cast must have felt when there was the threat of the last two shows not going ahead. Thank goodness there were enough people to ensure it went ahead.

I can do a review now that spoilers don't matter. Although it's really Julian's show, His Curliness was excellent on both nights I was there. And finally he's played somebody more gullible than Lord Arthur Saville! If someone handed you a bag and told you it was full of money, would you just say 'Okay thanks' or would you check it first? Silly boy! Loved the 3d effects and have to admit to putting my hand out to try and 'catch' a little bat as they flew out. (I love bats!) Every character was good, except for Jeffrey Holland who was a little run-of-the mill as Dame Trot, although I could be a bit biased because his comment about it being a shame that principal boys were no longer allowed was a bit daft - Lee outshone any girl in tights, thanks very much, Jeffrey! - and also incorrect, girls are still playing the hero in a lot of amateur productions.
Nigel was a good villain, even though Julian did make him crack up now and then.
Julian's naughty comments were very amusing, especially when he was giving Lee grief during 'Any Dream'. I loved his 'Wandering Star' and Lee's totally silly grin as he sat on the toadstool and listened to it.
Now normally ventriloquist acts don't do much for me. I've seen too many horror films with those horrible dummies, for a start. But 'Sam' wasn't a dummy, he was a cute little puppet and Paul Zerdin's act was genuinely funny. Especially that cheeky baby! The two men in the audience who were picked on by Sam on separate nights were stars too.
But back to Lee. Loved his singing and dancing, and his workout before he climbed the beanstalk. I adored the brief part of the 'Titanic song' that Lee got to sing, his voice soared even more than his flying. His flying - how did he manage to look graceful but not a bit girly as he did that?! And when he sang 'If you leave me, cow...' to Day-Zee, I cracked up. (Just wanted to mention that I loved Day-Zee's knocking knees when she was told she'd kicked the bucket!) Great sword fighting too, Lee!

The only thing I'd have loved to have seen was Jack actually storming into the room in the castle and rescuing Princess Apricot himself, a nice bit of Errol Flynn would have gone down well there. But it's a small gripe because I loved the whole production. I really hope Lee will be asked to do another panto at the Mayflower, depending on his schedule, I'd love to go back to Southampton. Altogether, a great trip and a great show.

Tanith- Thanks for a lovely review. Its good to read for those of us who were not able to make it. I would have loved to have gone. It sounded so brilliant and hilarious.

You're welcome, Jan, sometimes my reviews are a bit long and rambly, so it's great to know you liked it.

Tanith, thanks very much for that review. I agree about every thing you said. Yes it was Julian's show but I agree that lee shone through. I loved Lee and Julians scenes together, they made a fantastic double act.

When I went to the show on Jan 5th, Lee went to ring Daizee's bell and it didn't ring. He looked up to ghe sound desk with a funny grin, did a thumbs up and said 'thanks guys'! Then did a bit more ad libing for the horn joke. It was good to watch.

Also when the anamatronic Sam sits on the bench with Lucy, near the end of the song she has to pick him up and carry him off while he is still singing, well she must have caught the switch and turned him off so Paul had to do some funny extras for that too!

I think the mistakes made it funnier.

In the last show they all made mistakes which I loved.

Thanks to everyone for the reports! Sounds like a marvelous time.

I loved every second of the last performance. Bit late for a review really so I will just mention a couple of my favourite moments:
The first 7 rows waving as one when Lee waved for the first from the lift. ( 9In fact the whole section on the lift.)
The hilarious sword fighting face during the slo mo section.
The mistake bit when Lee came in too soon then quickly got his own back when Julian messed up.
When we all booed when acting lessons were suggested for Lee.
Lee dancing. Oh goodness I love that!
Lee was so free with his time after both shows too.
Could go on but will just post a few heavily cropped and enlarged photos.

photo SDC10776-Copy_zpsc438e5fb.jpg
 photo SDC10775_zps0ae0ed0e.jpg
 photo SDC10773-Copy_zpsb5d1f268.jpg
 photo SDC10772_zps9670052f.jpg
 photo SDC10771_zpsf07c9051.jpg
 photo SDC10778_zpsc8c6b1e7.jpg

Wow Cassie, such lovely photos, thank you!

Oh yes that waving was lovely wasn't it. I like to think it was just for the fans as he was very aware we were all in the house!!

His eyes were cross eyed during the slow motion 'Chariots of Fire' music section in he sword fight.

I liked that we all cheered when he first appeared at the back and introduced himself as Jack. Most of the shows I went to didn't applaud at that point much."Hi, my name's Jack and I'm here for a good time"

After Nigel told him to get some acting lessons and we boooed, Nigel took it back and said something like 'I didn't mean it really'. He had not done that before!

I thought Lucy was going to cry on that park bench for the last show

Thanks for all those lovely photos Cassie.
I'm glad to hear you all cheered when he first appeared on stage.
I was about to cheer & applaud at the first matinee & then realised that I was on my own!

Wow those photos! Fabulous!

Wonderful picture's Cassie, Nothing much to add to your review except to say how glad I was we made it. Even that freezing Hotel !