​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Lee Effect?

I've been watching 'The Voice' every week and I've noticed that a number of West End people have auditioned (as also happened last year - Kerry Ellis auditioned, amongst others). It made me wonder if, maybe, Lee's ADWD win had anything to do with this upsurge in West End auditionees on TV talent shows (some have popped up on 'X-Factor' and BGT in recent years)? Prior to ADWD and during it, there seemed to be a lot of scepticism in the West End, not least because people assumed that the public would tend to get behind 'underdog' contestants and wouldn't want to vote for contestants with training and experience within the industry. Lee turned that on its head and now, suddenly, West End people are popping up everywhere!

I have to say, though, West End people haven't done too well, thus far, on 'The Voice'. The problem seems to be that either they choose a song that isn't suited to their voice (Kerry Ellis being a case in point - she chose a song which had no belting in it, when her selling point is a big, powerful voice) or give very mannered performances (there's a lad called Jordan who seems to have trained at the Lewis Bradley School Of Over-Emoting). It makes me realise how good Lee really was - his performances always seemed natural and he didn't suffer from 'Over-Emotingitis'!

Re: The Lee Effect?

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it here. Lee doesn't have to go in for heart-clutching, arm-waving over-emotional effect when he sings. He can convey it with the tone of his voice and the expressions on his face.

Just goes to show, as we already knew, Lee is just an outstanding talent and quite different to anyone else out there.

This is Jordan, the lad who Over-Emotes for England:-

Audition

LINKY THING

Battle

LINKY THING

He looks like he's OD'd on E numbers in that battle!

And here's how acting a song should be done - subtle, understated and spot-on:-

LINKY THING

LINKY THING

Not an E number overdose in sight!

Couldn't agree more johartuk!