​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SPOILER Review of panto

SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE YET TO GO

Wow! What an adventure!
We set off from Reading in the morning. The train was on time and we couldn't believe our luck. There had been times during the week I had thought with a heavy heart that we weren't going to make it and if we did, certainly not for the matinee. We were quarter of an hour into the journey when the train stopped at Bedwyn. We squirmed anxiously as the driver said flood water had got into the points and he was going to go down the track and look at them himself before deciding what to do. Aaaaaaghh!!!! 20 minutes later, back he came and we set off again and from that moment, we carried on to Plymouth without a hitch, still leaving us an hour to get to the theatre. As I stepped off the train I just felt so relieved I could have cried.
Dropped our bags off at the hotel and headed over to the Theatre Royal. Very nice theatre (think it has just been done up but it looks quite new anyway.)
Took our seats...middle of the front row no less OMG!!!! The panto started and oh my, did he look gorgeous. He had a slightly bigger part than last year I would say. I loved the way the whole thing started with him this time. You have all seen photos of the costume and I have to say, it lived up to its previews!!! We felt so close, I was sure he would notice us at one point but as he should he always sings out and up.
Lee’s facial expressions were to die for and he was obviously really enjoying himself having to balance on poles and push up with his arm muscles and generally look quite the action hero.
I loved the James Blunt impression after which he dissolves into adorable giggles. Also loved the One Direction song for which he has to do a little bit of movement. At the end of the first half he has to fight a giant spider which is as big as the stage and comes out over the audience! Maggie had to put her coat over her head. Ha ha! (Sorry Maggie)
In the second half he actually dies at one point. I was tempted to leap from my seat and offer my kiss of life services but managed to control myself! He was very good with his shallow breathing and he looked convincing. I told him so afterwards with the immortal (Ha!) line “ Great dying Lee”. He seemed pleased to tell me about the breath control required.
I found the finale, when Lee appears at the top of the stairs in that white jewelled costume, one of those almost too much to cope with moments. He just looked indescribably gorgeous. Had to fight hard not to cry (I don’t often get emotional but he seems to have that effect on me)
Bobby Davro was unbelievably good and carried the show as regards energy and number of jokes. He is a bit of an old fashioned comedian but you had to admire his skill. He had the whole place in hysterics. We spoke to him afterwards, admiring his exhausting, hyper-active antics but he told us it was a breeze for him. Nigel also was having a ball and was rather better than last year I felt...the beard helped but he still can't stop himself laughing. Also felt Jeffrey Holland had a bigger part than last year. Lee’s Maid Marion, Maria Coyne was beautiful and they worked very well together on occasion, and quite understandably, getting the giggles.
After the show we went to the stage door and out he came. He came bounding over to us all smiles appearing very pleased to see us. Oh goodness...won't forget that greeting in a hurry! Had a bit of a natter about the journey and where we had travelled from. I asked if he was enjoying it and he said he was loving it. He signed our programmes with my pen then leant it to Bobby then asked if I could give it to him again but I said Bobby still had it and so on! Perhaps I should put said pen in a frame!
I asked about concerts and I think there maybe quite a few more in the offing! Good news for all.
Our hotel (Travelodge)was about 30 yards from the stage door and I could see the theatre including a poster of Lee from my window! Perfect. Also, there was a giant sized projection of the trailer on the back wall of the theatre. Massive sized Lee…can’t complain at that. Went for a walk on the Hoe in the morning before setting off for home. The weather was kind to us and it was quite warm.
The one thing I missed on this trip was meeting up with lots of other fans. That always is important to me. However I am sure we got more time with Lee after the shows as it was only the two of us. Swings and roundabouts.
Journey back was uneventful. Couldn't believe the flooding in Somerset and also just west of Reading. Shocking.

I hope nobody minds me posting a review with more detail but think I have made the spoiler alert clear.

Few photos. Not very good as they were a bit of an afterthought!
 photo SDC11094.jpg
 photo SDC11093.jpg

Re: SPOILER Review of panto

Love hearing the details and seeing the pix! Thanks to you and Maggie for your reviews.

Great review, Cassie! I didn't know that there was so much technique involved in on-stage 'dying'.

Thanks Cassie for great review,it is lovely when he is pleased to see you,'did Maggie get her usual kiss and hug'? nice of you to take the time to review it is great for those who can't go xx

Lovely, lovely review, Cassie - although I admit I caught my breath a bit at the idea of Lee's "breath control" -

He was extremely still, though it made it more difficult for him when a sword is ceremonially placed on his chest. ( Had the potential to magnify any slight movement. ) Our boy was perfect!
Acer, (whispers quietly) we both did!!

I have to say we were transfixed by that sword, Cassie!

Thanks Cassie and Maggie for the lovely reviews, so pleased
for you both getting hugs and kisses from Lee. Thank you also
Cassie for the photos, very much appreciated.

I went to the matinee on 2lst December and thought Lee and the whole cast
were brilliant, really looking forward to going on the 25th matinee
and evening. I have already booked for the matinee but have had
to book the Upper Circle I will book the evening as well but have
to check the time of the last bus back to Torquay.

Maggiemay

Thank you Cassie for that lovely review.
It revived memories of when I went.
I went with friends on Dec 23rd the weather was so bad we decided not to go to the stage door.
It seemed unfair to expect the cast to hang about in such awful condition
I am glad that you had better luck.

I can't wait to see it again

A/Liz, know exactly what you mean!
Hope all those going again have a wonderful time. That was my one and only visit.

Thanks for the reviews and photos ladies, you captured the whole thing brilliantly.
You must have had nearly the same hotel room as I had Cassie. I stood in the window for ages in my PJ's watching the projected images on the back of the Theatre before finally falling into bed.

Thank you for the lovely review, Cassie. Spot on, I would say! It's a real fun Panto where the audience can shout, boo and sing to their heart's content. Great for all ages.

I agree, Lee's part is a little bigger this time and he acts it with more gusto and confidence than last year, I think. He seems to have such a good time on stage and that is very infectious. He is full of energy and bounce.

Thanks for the memories. and the photo. What a day !

Brilliant review Cassie.

I agree about playing dead. I didn't realise he had to do different breathing for it, that's really interesting. He's certainly very good! I couldn't see any sword movement at all.

If those photos 'aren't very good' Cassie, I would probably be on the floor if I saw your good ones! Excellent review and thanks for explaining about the breath control - I did wonder. I also wondered how he managed to lie there and not giggle at some of Will's irreverant comments during that scene. Loved the ceremonial sword bit. Very MEADieval.

While we're in Spoilerville, somebody told me that QDOS usually book a star for three years for their pantos. It would be great if that was true, I've been on their site looking at all the pantos that aren't cast yet for this year and wondering if our man could be part of one.

Many thanks for review and pix.

Thank you for your review Cassie.
Unable to get to the show so any news and reviews are very much appreciated.
Great pix.

Cassie we both forgot to mention our "experience" before curtain up. We were sitting in the front with with a group of other ladies not known to us (not Lee fans the one next to me had never heard of him !!!!!!) by the end she was smitten though. Well along came a lady and handed us a bag containing sweets and chocolat we though wow the Theatre in Plymouth must be doing well. about 10 mins pased when one of th ladies appeared and said "are you with the ? ladies" we said no so she said can we have the bag back please !!!! Good job we had not gobbled them but it did give us a laugh,

Thanks for a great review Cassie & also for the lovely pics.
Great to hear about your Stage Door experience too!!!
It's just as well you were both too excited to think about eating those sweets!

Great reviews, especially for those of us too far away to see the show! Everybody seems to be enjoying it! Thank you!

Thanks for the review Cassie - I love lots of detail!

Tanith Panic
While we're in Spoilerville, somebody told me that QDOS usually book a star for three years for their pantos. It would be great if that was true, I've been on their site looking at all the pantos that aren't cast yet for this year and wondering if our man could be part of one.

You piqued my interest Tanith! From the QDOS site, it appears that there is only one Robin Hood next year - in Glasgow - and John Barrowman has already been cast in that so Lee definitely won't be reprising Robin for Christmas 2014! There are a few Jack and the Beanstalks coming up with the 'star cast' yet to be announced (Birmingham, Plymouth etc) so he could play that role again or, alternatively, Southampton and Wolverhampton are doing Cinderella and have yet to name their star casts!

Or maybe Lee will take a break from panto - he did tweet recently about possibly returning to LA at the end of the year - maybe after his contract with Casualty is up?

Rather selfishly hoping that the trip to LA happens late November if it goes ahead. If Lee should be cast in Cinderella, I hope he can give Prince Charming a bit of an edge - the character's normally a bit bland. It's all down to 'wait and see' isn't it?

ITVLINK

This a lovely interview with Bobby that has two little snippets of Lee in. I've put it in the spoiler thread just in case there are a few still to see it.

Anyone know how to capture this onto a CD? I'd love to keep it. No idea how long it will be on the ITV player.

Lovely interview. I agree with Bobby's comments about comedians on TV.

Nice to see Lee looking so fine! Blimey, those leggings!

I'm getting an eyeful while I can! This is great, thanks for sharing.