​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last Panto Day

Are there any reviews about the last day of Panto ? love to hear how the last performance went

Re: Last Panto Day

I second that,I would love to know

Well I would certainly do a review if I could but I wasn't there . Its a great shame that people don't seem to share their experiences any more.

I must admit I expected to see a few reviews for the last day so hope it's just that people are getting back into the routine of work, etc, again, before they're ready to post. But I do agree that there aren't as many posts as there used to be, I think a lot of people have migrated to Facebook. Being greedy, I like both this forum and Facebook.

Sorry guys, I'm still too poorly to do a long review. And the last three shows are blurring a bit into one. But the last two evening shows were both fantastic with really participative and enthusiastic audiences and standing Os.

I just leave you with my favourite impromptu line (hadn't noticed it in previous shows). It makes me chuckle even with my horrid cold.

Bobby about Lee (to female members of the audience including a group of ladies we all know and love): "His eyes are UP HERE". I'm sure you can suss out the meaning.

Can't think who you mean, Asher My eyes were demurely cast down to the ground for the entire show

Grrr I've just done an attempt at a review and lost the lot. I'm no good at doing reviews anyway, I prefer to add in the odd extra comment to other people's review when memories get triggered.

Anyway, the Friday night show was the one that Lee commented on as being special. It was. The audience was brilliant, cheering so loudly I could hardly hear a thing. I assume everyone knows that we regularly got soaked, at the end of the panto's manic version of '12 days of Christmas', the 12th gift being giant water pistols. The more you tried to hide or cover up (especially if you put up an umbrella ) they were out to get you, and waited till you emerged!

Saturday's matinee couldn't live up to Friday night, but was good nonetheless. Betsy was there, and at the end Lee did a shout-out to her. So sweet!

Sadly I can't recall many of the funnies that happened during the final performance, except for one. When Robin 'dies' and is laid on the table, Bobby picked up Lee's feet and flung one over the other. The audience were in fits, and how Lee held it together I do not know. After the finale, Bobby said it was the best panto he had ever been in, in all his long career, and then said something very nice to Lee, which I have forgotten, but which ended in a big hug between the two.

We Stage Doored afterwards with many of his regulars, and I was determined to ask Lee how he does the breathing when he's 'dead' (I think someone else asked him that, too). He earnestly started to explain, but once he mentioned his core and his belly, he could have told me he'd been to the moon and back and abducted by aliens for all I heard. Total Meadmush set in and I haven't the foggiest what he said!

We waved him and Bobby off - in a van! - and it was all over.

Ah thank you Asher and A/Liz for those lovely snippets. It sounds like a brilliant end to the show.

Yes, thanks A/Liz and Asher!

Thank you Asher and Liz. Appreciate hearing something about the last weekend. It was me who had a similar "dead breathing" explanation with similar results!!

Asher, I'm so sorry you're not well. I hope you're soon 100% again.

Thank you ladies for the review,nice when you can't get to panto

Asher, I can't think what those ladies were looking at!
A Liz, quite understandable that you were Meadmushed when he was talking about his technique!!!
Many thanks to you both.

Another little snippet just popped into my head. Bobby said at the end that this Panto has broken box office records and outsold previous Plymouth Pantos by 20%! Well done to the entire cast - it's been a corker of a show.

All the cast were so relaxed and obviously enjoyed themselves tremendously! I can't remember what Bobby said to Lee at the very end. During the Sat matinee Bobby said that there was a very special little girl in the audience, Lee's little girl Betsy and asked everybody to give her a big hand. He told Lee to take good care of her - as she would be the one chosing his nursing home! He also said something along the lines of Lee being a great guy and brilliant dad.

I think it was at the end of the Friday show when Bobby went over to Lee at the end and affectionately ruffled his curls. A rather sweet gesture.

Aw that sounds so lovely. Sounds quite emotional too. Was Betsy taken onto the stage at the end?
Funny joke about the nursing home! Good old Bobby :)

Love it!

I think Betsy was sitting quite near the back and, no, she didn't go on stage.

Just recalled something else. They got in such a muddle at one point, with Bobby chucking in extra jokes etc, that Lee's James Blunt impression was either forgotten or left out of the final show! It was all so manic and funny, though, and it was only when the scene ended we realised it had been missed.

Thanks Asher and A/Liz for the reviews, so difficult to remember all the different bits from each performance. I too don't know who you're referring to Asher when Bobby mentioned the 'eyes' bit , that's what comes of sitting in the front row at a panto.

At Lee's shout out to Betsy, I clearly remember he said to her "Daddy loves you very much", so sweet.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now Asher.

Lovely to hear about Betsy's visit to the panto.
Thanks ladies.

Lovely to read about that last performance, thank you ALiz and Asher.
I was also there for the last.. erm.. few shows... it became very addictive!!
I have been trying to remember things, but as has been said, it all seems to blur, but I do remember that at the end of the Robin "dead" scene when Bobby crossed Lee's legs, Lee was desperately trying to hold it together but you could see him swallowing, trying not to laugh. Then when he "came back to life", he made a real meal of it, twitching and jerking his legs just before sitting up - the audience were in fits.
I also think it was the last show that he came on sitting backwards on the elephant - more howls of laughter. He also came in lying on the elephant's back in one show.
I hope it's alright for me to say this. Betsy was actually sitting directly 2 rows behind us. She must have come in at the last minute because we were looking around and wondering where she might be before the show started and during the interval but didn't spot her. She was very well behaved, I was expecting to hear a shout of "Daddy" at some point but no, and we would have heard it if she had. Bless her, she looked completely awestruck at the end and had to be coaxed to leave, she obviously loved it.

Oh, bless little Betsy! I'm not surprised that she was awestruck! It was a phenomenal show. She will have loved all the girls' costumes as well. Every little girl's dream. I wish she could have seen it more than once! Like some of us managed to (ahem).

Thanks Ruthie for saying where Betsy was sitting,of course it is alright to say what harm are you doing?when you can't get there it is lovely to know the details I love to know every little detail if possible,and intesting to hear Betsy didn't want to leave just childlike

Just a short review to say although I was not able to stop for the last show I was lucky enough to catch the Matinee.

Waited outside to give Lee a "Robin" doll for Betsy and was luck enough tomeet him coming down the road carrying her. He stopped to say hello and gave me a kiss ! he introduced me to Betsy who is a sweet little girl very pretty and quite shy. I hgave her the doll and was thrilled when Lee "Twittered" me to say she loved it. made the work worth while.

I enjoyed the show very much not much changed from the normal except fot "King Richard" having his beard removed by Mr Davro which caused some laughter from the cast, they all appeared to be having a whale of a time. Glad Lee has had this little fun time as going strait back into Casualty he has not had much of a break.

Nothing more to add thank you for letting us know how the last performance went.

Thanks Maggie that is lovely,something for you to remember I don't think many of us have met Betsy but you deserve it xx

Thank you Ladies for your memories of the last weekend of the panto. Friday night was special wasn't it. Can't imagine who you are thinking of Asher The perils of sitting in the front row. Saturday afternoon was special too, knowing that Betsy was there to see Daddy also the last night when the cast were obviously having a great time. The 'death' scene was hilarious. Which performance was it, Friday night? when the toilet roll string broke during the 12 days, completely 'throwing' the cast. I asked Chris if it was a fix but he said No, it just broke. Fortunately there was a spare which was thrown on stage.

I'm so glad I made the effort to go in spite of what nature threw at us. We lost count of how many buses and trains we got on and off. Which? What? Where?!
It was worth every minute of the long hours spent traveling. So good to meet up with friends to share the fun with.

Hope you are feeling better Asher

Perhaps i should have said, for those who didn't see the panto, that in the "12 Days" 5 Gold Rings was replaced with 5 Toilet rolls which were thrown into the audience. Much audience participation before being thrown back for Bobby to try and catch them round his neck

Thanks for that extra info about the toilet rolls, joem!
Maggie, that was a nice idea to make the Robin Hood doll & how lovely that you were able to give it to Betsy yourself.

Thanks to everyone for all your detailed reports (despite the severe Meadmushedness!). Maggie, that Robin Hood doll was adorable.

One of the dancers has posted this pic from the warm up before the final show (wasn't sure where to put it, but 'Last Day' seemed to fit the bill )

https://twitter.com/sophamilton/status/429682860388544513/photo/1/large

I think the idea was that the dancers swapped clothes, i.e. girls wore the boy's gear and vice versa. Explains some rather odd outfits , although "Robin and Marian" seem to be exempt!

Great pic ALiz!

The panto cast did seem to have a lot of fun! I wonder if the Casualty cast are as lovely?

Thanks ladies, I enjoyed reading all your reports etc... brought back some lovely memories...
Great pic A/Liz...

Asher, I do hope you are feeling much better now.