​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
an unusual review from me

I played a song earlier, prologue from Joseph. You know, the one the narrator sings at the very start of the show. I wanted it to take me back there. It always does. I feel a little churned up inside and excited with anticipation as I listen and my brain is programmed to expect one thing following that song. Lee. I wanted to feel those feelings again ahead of writing this review for you.

We've talked about all of Lee's shows on this forum, there is one part of each of his performances that gives me a feeling like no other, if you could bottle it you'd make a fortune! it's that giddy, waiting for him, excited in your seat and yet nerves are frayed kind of feeling. it's unique and addictive and a memory that stays with me for a long time so I wanted to touch on some of his big entrances to his different shows with you.

Joseph always had a certain magic for me, a show that no other can surpass! well we were all Lee virgins so the nerves were there in abundance! Every time I hear that pretty little narrator's tune it gives me a goosebumpy feeling. I think all eyes were 'up there', knowing...expecting....waiting patiently for him to come down from the smoke...the cloud...whatever it was! Heck, who cares what it was, it was Lee! He looked like some god-like figure floating down and as the intro to ADWD kicked in and he sang 'I close my eyes..' with his smooth tones, we were there! in Canan, with this man shrouded in white cloth, it shouldn't be sexy but it was. This biblical figure surrounded by children singing a sweet tune about dreaming. Clean and wholesome and this family show kicked off....and yet.....oh Lee Mead! looking like you're in your pyjamas with your -hard not to melt- gorgeous smile!

And we KNOW the costume changes in that show.....the pyjama thing was just the start.

I'm not going to talk about Lord Arthur as my memory fails me a bit with this one and Legally Blonde, I saw just the once so that's a little hazy too.

Now Wicked, I still pay good money to see this show but Lee was the sweetest cherry on the proverbial cake! Even if you see this show for the first time, if you are a fan worth your salt you know the score, you get the gist, you know that jodhpurs and a wooden cart are involved. This is part of the reason why you part with your money. Firstly, worth a mention is 'no one mourns the Wicked', the big opening ensemble number. And guess who's in that ensemble? Not only a fantastic song, it's also very handy to give you that nerve settling confirmation that Lee is 'on' that day. He plays a humble villager and you get your fill, watching eagle eyed....where's he gone? oh there he is....get out of the way Glinda....mmmm, swathed in heavy clothes and a hat pulled down. But we know it's him and he's in the house. Phew!

You were probably like me, that brain programming again, I used to get jittery during 'something bad' the scene with Elphie and Dr dillamond, it's a formality to sit through in some ways, a necessity, the serious pivotal song in the show before....yes....the dude on the weird bike cycles swiftly across stage and then.....

Oh gosh, this lazy, good for nothing character comes on slumped in a cart, in shades. Who does he think he is? That was a heck of an entrance. And before you know it Lee launches into the Bowie-esque 'dancing through life'. An epic song, a story in itself, statue swinging, ladder grabbing, weird scarecrow-like dance moves, planting the seed for what's to come. Good luck and fair play to anyone that took in the song, enjoyed it, followed the story, watched the other characters, got the little sub plots, while Lee FLIRTED ABOUT IN SKINTIGHT TROUSERS, KNEE HIGH BOOTS, AND FITTED WAISTCOAT. Yep, good on you if you did.

If you want to remember the suspense of the west end men gigs then simply watch the trailer where they're limbering up backstage. lee especially. it takes you back there, try it. They got that build up just right. it was on another level, sophistication, intrigue. We'd never seen anything like this before. I remember waiting in my seat, it was dark, the set was simple. I was nervous as this was new to us. Three men, men that'd done good in shows, now singing a handpicked selection of musical theatre numbers, could that work? well it was Lee, it had to. I just remember the music, the trailer will take you back there. One instrument if I remember, just drums, sporadic drumming while we waited.....who'd be on first?

I can't remember the order of who came on when and the line up has changed a bit I know, so I'm not going to even attempt to go into detail about who sang what but all I know is that you got these guys, one by one, singing their bit, all had something to give, all stars in their own right. Suited and booted as they say, easy on the eye. I'll use 'pure imagination' as an example as I know it's been used as an opener. The song is great, I loved their take on it, well let's face it, most of us have only ever heard Willy Wonka sing it so this was refreshing! new....stylish. You notice I'm not mentioning the other men by name, this is because my memory is poor and also because, come on, let's face it, talented as they are, it was men on stage in suits singing perfectly but we were waiting for THAT man. The wait was sweet torture and you heard Lee before you saw him. Normally. I liked that. And he sang the way he sang and he looked the way he did in a suit and it all made sense why you were there. perfection.

Finally I'll talk about Lee's solo gigs. The most nerve wracking of them all! You don't get time to ease yourself in, you pay, you're there, you're seated, he's on. There's no David Thaxton to enjoy and ponder over, no Well meaning witches, no children in choirs making eye contact with mummies in the audience. This is Lee and his voice. Lee and THAT voice and more of those suits and trousers and shirts and open necks and clenched jaws and problems with mic's and all peppered with his adorable personality coming through in anecdotes you've heard before on this tour but you still laugh. because it's Lee and he's adorable.

it's the usual drill, drink. Wee. Say hello to fellow fans, wave to ones too far away, feel envious of lucky her in that seat, take your seat, flap about phone being off, offer neighbour a mint, look at couple to right and think- bless, first timers. AND THEN IT GOES DARK. AND THEN IT GOES QUIET. And you know, he's probably just waiting in the wings, bouncing, he does that doesn't he.....a swig of water....a ruffle of curls.....there's usually some music playing, his intro, carefully chosen to add atmosphere. It could be anything, I remember the intro to PIB at one point, stripped down to heavy drumming. Believe me, this music is scary, it could be the teletubbies theme and I'd find it scary, it's because lee Mead is due on stage. It's designed to stop you in your tracks and demand your attention....you abandon the murray mint!

and then he usually runs on stage. Like a little kid. I'm heeeeere! it's meeeeeee! except this aint no little kid. You can't concentrate, you can't take it all in, it's too much all at once!

curls are shorter....new shoes Lee? has Mason got a tan?.....are you wearing eyeliner.....how come you're so beautiful.....what are you singing? oh it's the stones song.....whaaaaa? everyone is jiggling.....you're beautiful.....I want you! how do I jiggle? I have to meet you at the stage door after....what time is my train? do I look silly? is it ok if I stare at you?

so there we are, our rollercoaster that is Lee events and waiting and wanting loving every minute!

Feel free to add your own thoughts on the start of lee's many performances. I'm sure there's lots of thrilling memories there!

Re: an unusual review from me

Brilliant Coofy. Read and empathised with every word.

Excellent reviews there, loved the post.

Great review Coofy,you are so right

I'm speechless! Wonderful!!!

That is all xxxx

Great memories there coofy. I think my favourite has to be waiting for Lee to descend onto the stage at the beginning of Joseph. I can still get butterflies just remembering that moment.
One memory of Lord Arthur has to be that wink at the end.
A lovely moment when he's looking right into the audience.

Yep, that just about sums it up!

I would add my favourite moment in Lord Arthur, when Lee put on the top hat and cloak ... he was transformed ... and the way he walked across the stage ....

ooohhh Coofy that brought back some wonderful spine tingling memories
Especially the first glimpse of Joseph.
I forgot to breath the first time I saw that.

One Lee thing that holds special memories ( and I know that you were there )
was after Joseph there was a Lee drought while he went off to New York
Then we heard the news that he would be at Longleat
That day was so special. It was my birthday & Sunnymead make a cake with the WJ pic on it
Lee dressed in a check shirt tight waistcoat nipping in his waist
He was generous with his time & looked really pleased to see so many fans there that day.
My heart still skips a beat when I think of that day.

A magical day Joan. One that I will never ever forget.

Can't remember the exact day it was, sometime in mid September 2009, I think, it had been a rubbish day, I hadn't been able to afford Longleat but was still very grateful for the photos. The Lee drought seemed to be ongoing... Then I went on the forum and saw LASC confirmed! Things just got better from then on!

ahhh the memories, that's brought back, I sat in my seat at my first Joseph experience bouncing, mum gave me Rescue Remedy and apologised to the women sat around her that it was her 36 yr old daughter going on 6 (it was my birthday!)

anyway the rest of the women were like me that night :)

Lovely memories there Coof, and I splurted my tea at the Willy Wonka comparison!

I always get extremely nervous at his first nights,so I now don't go. Last year I broke my ankle badly but insisted the hospital take the cast off early to make it to the last night of the WEM. I'm glad I did, I sat in my Vaudeville seat, just a few doors down from the Adelphi and blissfully drifted through the enchanting evening (and I don't think it was medication induced either).

Pure Imagination is an angelic start to the show, and you search him out in the darkness. I tried really hard when all 4 were on stage to share my attention around, Stephen gets some he's such a character, but all eyes slide back to Lee... totally enigmatic, even when only leaning against the wall....

Really enjoyed reading this thread...
Lovely memories all round.
Thank you ladies...

Lots of wonderful things to look forward to as well!

I also found Lee's Emmett to be adorably sexy - maybe because I have a soft spot for nerds. :)

But the rumpled trousers and jacket with elbow patches - great imaginations can dream about what lies underneath. . . .

And then in the "transformation" scene, the bit of bare calf and . . . if you were on the right side of the audience . . . even a glimpse of bum - holy crap!!!!

Thanks for bringing back good memories, Coofy.

The memory of the first sight of Lee in Joseph, behind the gauze curtain before he descents on his 'stairlift'(!) is always a special one even when seen several times.

I particularly remember Lee's last 'Joseph' when there was a great cheer and standing ovation as he first appeared. The elderly lady sitting beside me had come with a coach party and had no idea that it was a special occasion - she couldn't understand why everyone was standing up before Lee had even done anything! I explained that it was his last performance in the role and that his fans (including me) were out in force. She was very bemused by the whole thing but, after things had quietened down and Lee had sung ADWD, she leaned over to me and whispered 'I can see why you like him - he has charisma doesn't he!'

I went to see Lee as Emmett and I was on the right side of the audience!!!