​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salvation Army Choral Spectacular-5 April

Here's hoping the Salvation Army posts video of Lee's performance as they did after the Christmas concert!

And here's hoping anyone lucky enough to attend will share . . .

Re: Salvation Army Choral Spectacular-5 April

I get the impression this will be quite well attended ....

I am so pleased that I went to this concert.
It was a fantastic night.
there was a last minute change to my plans because the lady that I was going with couldn't make it but the lovely SunnyMead was happy to step in & take the ticket
We met up at lunch time & had a lovely day in town before making our way to the venue. We were a bit early & the choir workshop had just finished so we sat in the cafe having a drink. Then we heard something & looked at each other in delight when we realized that Lee was doing his sound check
We went up to the doors & was peering through the glass when a gentleman opened the door & asked us in, We sat at the back of the room watching Lee with the children on stage singing ADWD. at the end he Hi fived a little boy who was next to him.
Then he as he went off he spoke to a man holding a little girl & then kissed the girl. We later realized that this was Betsy.

I will come back later to review the actual show.
But I would love to read some reviews from others that went last night.

Two lovely pictures by Joan from the rehearsal for the evening concert.

And a big thank you to Joan for my last minuet invite I am so glad I got to go, I enjoyed every bit of it.

2014-04-05 S-A_ADWD 005 photo 2014-04-05SAL-AMY005_zpsa39311d2.png

2014-04-05 S-A_ADWD 007 photo 2014-04-05SAL-AMY007_zps558693a3.png

WOW thank you SunnyMead for posting those for me.
It was lovely to see so many Lee fans there last night.
The gentleman compere came over & chatted to some of us before the show & was amazed how far some of you had traveled.
I didn't impress him with my bus ride home to north west london

Thank for the beautiful pics. Enjoyed the evening very much. Lee looked happy and relaxed managed a few words with him on the way out mostly about little Betsy. He is so proud of her. Tried to take a pic on my brand new first time use camera but got shoved out of the way so I have a month to practice before Cardiff.!

Wow, another lovely concert.

I'm being honest here, I did not expect as much from this one as I got from Stephen's gig last week but oh how wrong I was!

I had a fantastic view, front row of the balcony in the centre. At first I was a bit disappointed when I realised that I could have had stalls seats but that was very quickly overcome when I was shown to my seat. I sat next to a lovely lady called Sylvia who reads all about Lee but who doesn't post on any forums but she recognised me from my user names....oops I think I come with a reputation . Hi Sylvia if you are reading this.
On the other side was sat Jill and Jacquie who I had a good chat with too.

The house lights remained up for the entire concert which I know Lee is not very keen on but he was fantastic. Not sure if anyone has said already but he sang Hallelujah and Anthem in the first half and ADWD and LCE in the second.

Lee and his parents arrived with Betsy just as the show began and they sat on the left hand side of the balcony. How lovely to see them being a family, I felt very privileged to see that and I won't pass on what I saw as its an invasion of their privacy but my eyes did meet with Lee's on a couple of occasions . As his name was called, Lee very casually made his way down the side steps to the stage. I loved his song choices, they fitted really well with the occasion. Then after the songs he made his way back up to join the family. The other singer also had a little boy (who I have to say was not nearly as well behaved as Betsy) and at times it was like a crèche up there as there was a young baby too!

The hightlight of the evening was in part 2 when it became clear that Lee had hold of Betsy's hand and was leading her down the stairs. What an amazing experience for the whole family. Her grandparents were busy taking lots of pics, what a lovely moment for them!
It was just the best thing I've seen seeing Lee sing with the kids and have Betsy join in and it must have been so special for him.
I do have some photos (and video) but I am not prepared to share them openly until I have permission from either Lee or his agent as I don't feel its fair on Betsy but the zoom on my camera is so clear that I could have been sitting in the front row of the stalls!
Betsy went home shortly after that but Lee stayed on the balcony to watch the rest of the show.

It was a really lovely occasion and I'm very glad I made the effort to see it for myself. All these concerts are so different and I feel very lucky I was able to go.

Great review, Jazzy!

Lovely review thanks Jazzy. Sounds like a lovely evening and with Betsy on stage with Lee, the proudest moment for him and the Grand parents! :-)Really great they took pics too! LOL

Thanks for the lovely pics Joan and Sunnymead! LOL

Thanks to everyone for reviews and photos. Jazzylou, what a
fantastic seat that turned out to be for you. So pleased to
hear that Betsy and Lee's parents were there and what a proud
moment for them to see Betsy on the stage with her daddy. There
were a couple of twitter photos posted of the children singing on
stage with Lee, Betsy looked as though she was really enjoying
herself.

Lee certainly had a busy day, what with taking Betsy to the
cinema in the afternoon and then performing at the concert.
He certainly seems to make sure Betsy has a fun filled time
when she is with him.

Thank you for those lovely photos and reviews.

Thanks Jazzy for lovely review I had a little tear in my eye reading about Lee and Betsy so wish I could have been there but have to content myself reading about it these days and try to imagine what it is like,thanks everyone

Here is Lieut-Colonel George Pilkington & Lee Mead funny double act.

great reviews, great biceps, great video!

did I mention - great biceps?!!!

Thanks Joan for the lovely pics and to Jazzy, another great review. Haha, your reputation obviously goes before you Jazzy .

From where we were sitting in the Stalls, we couldn't see who was with Lee, although we knew Betsy was there. (Thought it might be his Parents as they're very supportive of him aren't they) and when Lee walked down the steps on to the stage holding Betsy's hand was indeed a lovely moment. He sat her in the front row with the other children and I loved how she kept looking at Lee (and he her) when she and all the children were singing. She was singing and smiling and Lee did say afterwards she had enjoyed it (and I'm sure he did too, awww). He'd better get her an Equity card. Wonderful family moment for them all.

Like Jazzy, wasn't sure what to expect, but thought it was great evening. Having walked up Oxford Street many times, never noticed the signs for the SA. Their choir was very good (as were those audience members who attended the workshop in the afternoon and were then brave enough to go on stage to sing). The other guest Nicholas Lester gave a great renditon of Figaro.

The SA members were very welcoming and friendly and the audience was very mixed, young children, teenagers, mums, dads and older people. Lee's fans came in for a bit of friendly ribbing from Lt.Col.Geo. Pilkington and he had us and the audience in fits of laughter.

I asked Kev. (Lee's SA friend, who I believe organised the event) afterwards if the homeless lady who had been saving 10p a week to buy a ticket to see Lee had been there; he said she had been and had also met Lee, she must have been thrilled.

Having said our goodbyes and thanks to everyone, we walked back down the entrance hall to go out, and who should be coming down a different corridor was Lee. He stopped and chatted to us all for a short time, it was mainly Betsy related and how she had enjoyed it. Can be difficult to remember though what he actually says when he's in front of you . Nice end to the evening.

Thanks Sunny-mead for the vid. it was funny wasn't it. I think they all like Lee.

Fab review, AnnieB!

Nice to hear that the homeless lady got to go to the concert and meet Lee!

Thanks AnnieB that was lovely,so glad that the homeless lady met Lee x

Thank you, AnnieB, for asking about the homeless lady - lovely for her! And good to hear she was able to attend.

Sunny-mead, that video is hilarious! Lee looks soooooooo beautiful!

Thanks to everyone for the reviews!

Thanks for those gorgeous photos Joan, and Sunnymead for the funny video.
Also loved your reviews Jazzy and AnnieB
It was indeed a splendid evening, and you have all summed it up beautifully.

This has been mentioned earlier, but the one thing I will always remember from the SA concert (and it brought tears to my eyes at the time) was watching Betsy sing with her Daddy on stage, and her pretty little eyes never leaving him for a second of that time. You could almost feel the love between them...Just so cute.

Like many others, I feel so lucky to have been there that evening and witnessed a little piece of Family History in the making...
Thanks again ladies, and the Salvation Army for a wonderful evening.

Thank you so much everybody for the reviews, pics and that brilliant video Sunnymead. How lovely to hear that the homeless lady got to the concert, thank you for remembering that Annie,

It was a fantastic evening and I loved it. We all felt that we had witnessed something very special that night.

I must confess that initially I felt very exposed and slightly vulnerable on the front row with lights up - no hiding!!! especially when Gorgeous George Pilkington homed in on us and seemed to know straight away that the front 2 rows were Lee fans. He chatted and teased us a lot, and at one point asked "you're not going to throw anything on the stage are you" we assured him that we were all very well behaved and polite.

The musicians, soloists and songsters were all amazing as has been said. While Lee was on, George kept looking at Lee, and then at us, then back at Lee, chuckling to himself and smiling broadly, it was hilarious. Lee told us that his Nan had been in the Salvation Army, and carried the flag on parades. During the interval, other SA officers mingled with the audience and came to chat to us. George also teased and chatted to us again, asking us if we were going to follow Lee on his tour, and what was our favourite song.

Of course the high spot for us was when Betsy joined in with ADWD. It was the sweetest thing seeing Lee holding her hand encouragingly, and then picking her up to take her back to their seats at the end of the song - just normal, relaxed daddy/daughter stuff. At the end of ADWD, the older singers at the back who had been holding a gold box, pulled out lots of technicolour ribbons over the heads of the children - a lovely effect, Betsy didn't spot this until Lee gave her a little tap and pointed upwards. Her little face was a picture throughout. She was singing away and waving her arms, looking around at the other children - all the funny things little ones do.

George was by the door shaking hands with people on their way out, he is a lovely man. We told him about the friendships that had been formed because of Lee. He was impressed and said what a lovely, kind person Lee was, and how grateful they were that he had agreed to sing. There seems to be a mutual support system going on.

I admit I don't know much about the Salvation Army, but the way they welcomed us, the sheer joy they exude and the wonderful work they do all over the world has won me over.

Curly Liz I am glad I am not the only one that has had tears in my eyes but no one can see me you were actually at the show but it is so touching thinking of Lee leading Betsy down and looking at each other while singing,I would have really been blubbing if I had been there,thanks all for reviews etc

There's not much I can add to everyone else's brilliant reports. It was a lovely evening.

Thinking about it from a non-Lee perspective (difficult, I know!), I was completely blown away by Nicholas Lester's "Figaro", which he started singing from the balcony, before making his way down to the stage. Then, on a personal note, I was taken back to my schooldays when the massed choir (including the people from the audience who had been practising earlier - and which didn't include me!) sang "Worthy is the Lamb" from Handel's Messiah, which I sang in my school choir when I was about 12, and I found I could remember almost all of it.

Yes, the surprise encounter with Lee in the foyer was an added bonus! Our group had managed to get separated, so we were hanging around gathering the troops, as it were, chatting generally, then having a word or several with Kev, when Lee suddenly appeared! I'd assumed he'd was long gone at that point, so it was a lovely way to end the evening.

Thank you everyone for your reviews and Sunny-mead for the video, so funny.

I really can't add anything more except to say the warm welcome extended to Lee's fans was lovely. The lady who spoke to me, the 'curly' songster, attends a citadel a few miles from where I live and came back in the interval to ask if we were enjoying it.

It was a wonderful, special evening and I am so glad I could be there to be part of it.

Thanks to all concerned for the great reviews and pictures. Next best thing to being there.x

Thanks for the lovely pics & all the reviews everyone. It must have been a very special evening.