​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My review of Lee\'s Yeovil gig

I'm never sure how to start these things, been wanting to review Yeovil for days and I\'m finally sitting down and doing it while my memory is still fresh (ish). Where do I start? there's no order or structure to these reviews of mine, it just kinda spills out.....that'll work I spose! Forgive me if I leave out your favourites or spend far too much time on bits and bobs but I'll talk about the things that stay with me days after....when I'm on the bus....when I'm printing statements.....when I'm trying to be a good mum and listening to him whinge that 'she started it'. jeez, these concerts are like being on another planet for a few hours!

Lee came on to 'pure imagination'. We know the drill pretty much. It's no, bouncing on the stage/my T shirt is too tight/Paint it black moment like past tours but it works. You don't always need in-your-face, bolshiness (though that day was nice) no, 'imagination' is pretty and childlike and haunting and clever and full of promise. Ok, not chocolate but an evening full of Lee in his various shades of light.

I'm no good with the set, which song appeared where....which song he left out....I leave that to the others. 'Close every door' appeared near the start. There is one song from joseph that I wish he could put in a box and lock for eternity and then there is this one. I can't get bored with the melody! and the way it climbs, lee never fails to surprise me during this number, he commands your attention! by doing very little! except singing.....singing very well. On Sunday night his delivery of this song was bordering on aggressive at times. it reminded me of the Jo days at the Adelphi. yes please.

His on stage in between song chat was entertaining as ever. he seems to have this humbleness to him, always! it's quite endearing. He often makes jokey references to the fact that we're 'still here' and how he's touched by that. The fact that we haven't up and left in the interval. Very sweet. How can he wonder why we continue to come? You get such a varied show, he's value for sure. When he's not in playful, dad dancing, jolly poppy mode he's in that 'zone'. You know the one. The one he has dipped in and out of for years. his 'place' he pulls out for musical theatre songs and stuff with meaning. He introduces such songs with a little tale of why they have touched a chord with him, you take a gulp, abandon that rustly sweet you just contemplated opening and you go along with him for the ride. Namely 'Fix you'. he tells his familiar story of meeting Chris Martin in the gym, he's not one for name dropping is our lee, he's star struck it seems, gawd love him. he tells a story well and you can't help but chuckle and then he looks at the floor, pauses....clenches his jaw and takes it down a level with a nod to Chris Martin's troubled marriage and likewise his. I felt for him on Sunday during this song as he pours his emotion into these numbers! The jaw clenching is very welcome too! It should have a mention on the promo posters. yep. Draw them in. he sang his way through 'Fix you' beautifully on his stool and his 'aaaaaghs' towards the end were more angsty than usual. it's also worth noting that he was rocking on his stool, no rhythm to this, he was totally lost in the song, he looked a bit tormented! Please don't worry though, promoter Wendy says he's in a 'good place' at the moment. Perhaps he was feeling chris's recent pain! anyhow.....standard lee, all those troubled looks and clenchy jaw (there I go again). I think 'Collide' was on next and people opened Fox's Glacier Mints. ha! Breathing space. Actually, I have to say that Collide is a great little song that really jumps out from the album and holds up even now at any concert. the 'do do do do's' will always be cool.

His support and good mate Stephen was fabulous. He's a little powerhouse! I LOVE his tone. I was really hoping he would sing 'The journey home' from his past musical Bombay Dreams. When I was introduced to this song at the 'West end men' concerts I was hooked and it's a regular on my Spotify account. His 'Bridge over troubled water' was great and reminded me what a superb piece of music that is. My only criticism is that I feel the songs he sang were messed about with too much, a bit over-egged. A little self indulgent.

I must mention what is probably my favourite in this tour. Music of the night from Phantom. At first I wasn't sure about Mason's simplified arrangement. How can you soften a song where an obsessive monster of a man is seducing a beautiful women to his underground lair? Now though I'll happily take it out of that early famous Phantom scene and where it belongs. Sunday night was all about lee. I found the song had real soul and it felt quite spiritual to me. It pinned me to my seat and it had me at the opener- 'Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation, Darkness stirs and wakes imagination'. Andrew lloyd Webber is so right. Night time, things change!....things have an edge! people change. (does this sound like a script for a Werewolf film?) Night time has a naughtiness. people with masks on try to take ladies under their spell, Lee Mead sings on a stage and you're sure he just clocked you STARING at him but you don't care cos you've had wine and it's night time. Do you see? ALW knows it and so do you.

The lighting on Sunday was so good. Pretty lighting for a pretty boy. nah, perhaps not...... lee looks gorgeous on a stage and a big chunk of hunkiness but the lighting was magical. Sometimes his was backlit in blue, sometimes pink, sometimes multi....all looked good. I frequently played the 'which one is my favourite colour' game in my head.

Other standout performances for me.....let's see....

Well Father and Son I've never much cared for, I'm not familiar with Cat Stevens and the Boyzone version I found too whiney and warbly. With Lee though I have a new love for this song. It's a clever song, it's very effective. he does the loooow dooown dad bits alternating with the attitudy son bits and almost spits the words out. And it sounds a little bit 'country' too. Ramin will be pleased.

I waited for 'Kiss' and it wasn't to be! he left this one out unfortunately. I love the fun element of that song. The success of that performance is that he totally DOES NOT take himself seriously. he goes with the flow and we see spins and wiggles and thrusts and.......comedy strains. Great tune and I often go to the Prince original when I want a dance around my lounge.

I know I've skipped a lot but I hope you've enjoyed reading what's currently in my head. My next gig is Christmas, I'm happy with that. it will snow and I will drink mulled wine and Lee will be wearing nothing but a santa hat.

In my dreams

Re: My review of Lee\\\'s Yeovil gig

Thank you Coofy, brilliant review, so glad you posted it.

Re: My review of Lee\\\\\\\'s Yeovil gig

Thanks Coofy - fab review!

Re: My review of Lee\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Yeovil gig

Lovely detailed review but no snow for any of Lee's winter performances please, much as I approve of the image of him in nothing but a Santa hat.

Re: My review of Lee\\\'s Yeovil gig

fab review thanks.
I love your phrase "a big chunk of hunkiness" Oh Yes.......
Yeovil sounds as if he was off the scale sexy.

Loved reading that. Thanks Coofy.

Re: My review of Lee's Yeovil gig

Brilliant review I love the 'in depth' bits. Thanks Coofy xxx

Thanks Coofy. I love reading your reviews.

A bit late for a review now as it’s all been said. Suffice to say really enjoyed the show. One of the best. Just thought you might like to see both front and back view.

photo 474a97b9-2080-4f0f-affa-5f7515970f19_zps50dd91d4.jpg

photo 467600c0-8bfc-476e-9bb3-2af9b9a1fee2_zps308d8c21.jpg

Re: My review of Lee\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Yeovil gig

Thud!

Re: My review of Lee\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I've tried 2 responses to your review Coof, but it keeps saying it's not allowed as it is considered spam! LOL. And I didn't put anything remotely spammy in it.

And Maggi , it also rejected my response to your pics! Am I being censored?!

Re: My review of Lee\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Will try again:

Coofy, I nodded all the way through your review , as I so 'got it'.
Just perfect, thankyou.
I'm jealous of how much clenching seemed to be going on.

Maggie- your back view pic is genius.
The front view ain't bad either. He looks radiantly beautiful. Am so glad he is free of his shackles.