​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lee to guest at Bobby Davro Gala Spectacular - 12 October

Looks as though Lee has another Sunday engagement - guesting at Bobby Davro's Gala Spectacular at the New Victoria Theatre in Woking on Sunday 12 October. Another panto pal, Paul Zerdin, is also among the guests:

http://www.wsbhospices.co.uk/events/bobby-davros-gala-spectacular/

I assume it's in aid of Woking and Sam Beare hospices.

Seems to be selling very well!

Thanks to Timeline for spotting this one

Re: Lee to guest at Bobby Davro Gala Spectacular - 12 October

Bobby was hilarious in last year's panto. Would love reports from this from anybody who goes, please.

I saw Bobby's tweet last night and promptly looked at the website - it was already almost sold out!

Found this article about the upcoming gala:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/bobby-davro-visits-hospice-ahead-7803194

It's sweet that raising funds for the hospices means so much to Bobby personally.

I've seen a few tweets that would suggest Lee went down well at tonight's gala - and why not!!!

@HevinhallKH: Just accompanied @leemeadofficial at Woking for @BobbyDavro1. Stunning talent!

@GemmaTrusty: Great night so far @BobbyDavro1 Woking Hospice Gala @WokingTheatre, stand out perfs so far - @Halcruttenden, @paulzerdin & @leemeadofficial

And a backstage photo from Robyn Mellor:

https://twitter.com/RobynMellor/status/521392120062816256

Hopefully some forum members made it there who can report back with more details

Ro was there tonight and she has posted a gorgeous photo of
Lee on stage on the Lee Mead Timeline twitter page.

I was there too. Stunning performance from Lee. His voice was beautiful and so powerful tonight. The stage was pretty amazing too with a projected backdrop with each performers on as each came to the stage.

He certainly did go down well. He chose the right songs and really went for it. Luck be a lady, Crazy Little thing called Love and Bring him home. I was lucky enough to be in the 3rd row. Bobby told everyone how lovely he was. I have to say, he looked amazing. Only saw him a week ago but he still takes my breath away.
No luck at the stage door beforehand but we did meet 2 of Buck's Fizz!!!

Lee sang Luck be a lady, Crazy little thing called love and a stunning Bring him home.
He was the last act before the interval.

it was funny fan groups for each performer. In front of me were a group of Bucks Fizz fans who we had seen at the stage door and they were busy taking photos while they did their three songs. Shortly after the beginning of the second half, they suddenly disappeared, I got the feeling they rushed to the stage door. Shame for the performers in the second half to see a row of empty seats in the second row.

Lol Cassie....we tried hehe. It'll be a full picnic next time!
Having said that Lee arrived a different way and we missed him by a whisker but it was fun looking. The third row certainly didn't disappoint. I was lucky to get the last 3 seats. Although at one point we got soaked from Paul Zerdins baby and nearly got picked to go up on stage!!

Lee didn't get away without singing his James Blunt impression from last year's panto. Naughty Bobby lol. We enjoyed it, I'm not sure Lee did.

Much as I enjoy seeing Lee at the stage door, I'd never walk out of a concert before it was finished, that's defeating the object.
One of the saddest things I ever saw was at the convention I went to for 'Supernatural' back in 2012. After Misha Collins (The man who plays 'Castiel') had finished his talk, instead of slipping out straight afterwards, some of the audience waited till the next speaker came on stage and then started to walk out, making it obvious that this speaker wasn't the one they were interested in listening to. He made a comment that was only half tongue-in-cheek about 'Oh they've gone to get Misha's autograph' and I felt so sorry for him.

Trying to post review but its telling me I'm spamming, most annoying.

Will try later.

Thanks Jazzy and Cassie, sounds a great evening with lots of money raised and Lee sounds to have gone down a storm. Apart from seeing Lee again, would also loved to have seen Paul Zerdin, I thought he was great when I saw him in the Panto at Southampton.

Regarding people walking out during a performance, I remember a similar thing happening during the CIN concert about 3 years ago recorded at The Savoy theatre hosted by Terry Wogan. Lee was on the show as was Gary Barlow. Once GB had sung, his fans got up (from all parts of the theatre!), pushed passed everyone and left just as Engelbert H started singing (OK, not my cup of tea either!) but they obviously wanted to catch Gary at the SD. When someone said to them they should have waited and it was very rude, that person was told in no uncertain terms what she could do. Sure not all Gary's fans are like that though.

Was typing from my phone last night. Here's a better version.

Cassie, my daughter and I were lucky enough to grab the last three row CC seats on the right hand side. The booking itself is another story
We needn't have worried about the view being to the side because the way the seats were arranged, we were well into the centre with a perfect view!

I've sent my review to the team because for some reason I can't post anything more than a line or two without being flagged up for spam. Could this be a Bravenet fault?

Anyway hopefully you will be able to see it soon.

Bravenet is really messing with the Forum these days -

Trying for the third time to post Jazzylou's review.

Cassie, my daughter and I were lucky enough to grab the last three row CC seats on the right hand side. The booking itself is another story
We needn't have worried about the view being to the side because the way the seats were arranged, we were well into the centre with a perfect view!

We had waited for an hour at the stage door, only managing to see two of the four members of Bucks Fizz. We had a meal booked for 5 so we headed inside, we were rather cold anyway. We met with a couple of other fans, both of whom were very grateful for the fact that they had been given the chance to go at the last minute (sorry for the two of you who couldn't make it). One of them spotted Lee in the shopping centre heading rather hurriedly towards the theatre, just carrying a suit. At this point Cassie and I shared a sigh of relief after seeing his beach tweet earlier that day .

The ticket time was 7pm but we were only let into the auditorium about 5 mins before that so the show was running late before it started . There was a free A5 program and a glow stick on everyones seat which was a nice touch.

The first half I enjoyed better than the second as there were more people I liked on at the beginning. We had to wait for Lee at until the end of the first half which was both tense and exciting. I loved the graphics at the back of the stage which changed to each performers name as they came on.
Paul Zerdin did the 'baby' sketch similar to the one he did at Southampton which was funny to see again. Everyone liked him and apparently he has been a show guest right from the beginning of the Galas (I think this was the 6th?).
Bobby was very gracious to Lee, telling of how they met at the panto last year and how well they got on together. Lee got a good applause and a few of us made sure he got a few whoops .
The two songs he chose fitted the evening perfectly because it was quite upbeat and lively. Then BHH was just the lovliest I've heard him sing it for ages. I think the reason for that is that the sound was really good, the mics were well tuned and picked up all his delicious notes.

He wore the same grey suit from Southend with a white shirt and no tie. He looked drop dead gorgeous...but when doesn't he . Bobby made a point of saying that there were lots of swooning ladies out there and pointed to some in the balcony who were up on their feet and cheering and waving. I don't know if the James Blunt impression was rehearsed but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't! Bobby likes to surprise his guests sometimes.

I won't bore you with details of the second half but at the end we all had to break open our (provided) glow sticks and join in with 'Always look on the bright side of life). It was lovely to look back and see everyone waving. I would love to be able to do something like that for Lee at Christmas in the Garrick!

Woohoo!!!! Finally - and it was well worth waiting for! Thank you, Jazz.

Thanks for the reviews, ladies! Sounds like an interesting night!

I fell foul of the spam thingy a couple of days ago in another thread - very annoying, especially when it doesn't tell you why it thinks you're spam!

Great review Jazzy. Can't really add anything to that. He did look and sound particularly good last night. Like Jazzy, I much preferred the first half.

Thank you Lin. I'm starting to wonder if bravenet has me blacklisted somewhere

I can't add to Jazzy's excellent review but I wanted to say what a wonderful evening it was. I was very lucky to be there - Joan very kindly gave me her ticket as she was unable to go and at the last minute Sunnymead/Sue was also unable to go so my OH had her ticket. A big thank you to both of them. We joined Cassie and Jazzy and Jazzy's daughter for a meal. We arrived first and I went into the restaurant to see if the others had arrived and when I came out OH said that Lee had walked past him and he had said Hello. I couldn't believe it - I was away for less than 2 minutes and I missed the action! What bad luck!

As has been said, Lee was magnificent. His voice was wonderful and he seemed totally at ease. He started with Luck Be a Lady Tonight, then followed with Crazy Little Thing Called Love which the audience loved. Lee looked as though his was thoroughly enjoying himself. He was energetic, bouncy and looked very happy. He brought the tempo down with his last song Bring Him Home and you could have heard a pin drop in the theatre. He held the last note of the song beautifully and I think the whole audience shared the moment with him. The applause was long and enthusiastic and I think Lee got quite a few new fans last night.

The show ended with Bobby Davro inviting us to wave the Glow Sticks that had been left on our seats when we came in, whilst he sang Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. The theatre was aglow with pink, yellow and green as the audience waved along. A great atmosphere.

A wonderful evening and a very successful Gala. We were told they had raised £30,000 which was a triumph for all the hard work put in by the performers and others involved with the show. I'm very glad we had the chance to go.

Lovely review, Gail. I know Sunny-Mead was devastated to miss it but I'm happy you were able to make use of her ticket. Thank you for sharing.

We hope we have "fixed" the spam issue. If it happens again to anyone, please let us know.

Thanks for your review Gail, the exit was rather too swift to chat for long. I'm glad you had a good time. Thank you for your company at the meal, it was very enjoyable. I'm sure your view of the glowsticks was amazing. I looked back and it was a lovely sight. How typical to miss Lee, I think that has happened to all of us at one time or another!

I think Lee really enjoy ed the cheers as he came on, its always so good when its a sold out show.

Well done for fixing Bravenet Lin, lets hope it behaves itself now.

Thanks for the lovely reviews
It makes up just a little bit for missing out but I am glad that my ticket went to a very good home ( another Lee fan )

Thanks for fixing the bravenet bugs. It is so annoying & now that it is fixed I hope we get some more reviews on here.

I obviously don't know every Lee fan but I will say that those of us who are regulars and recogniseable to me counted less than 10. I put this down to the limited availability when we found out about it and the short notice involved. This probably means that there won't be many other reviews. It would be nice if some others do come in though.

As I made the decision not to do this one for various reasons, thank you Jazzy & Cassie for your reviews. New fans for Lee, I would imagine, after this! In the event, I made the right decision, as I was ill over the weekend, and would probably have to have pulled out if I had booked (much better now, thank goodness), thus losing train fare and hotel costs.

Just seen your latest post, Jazzy - yes, those were two of my reasons, but not the only ones.

Interesting that there was a different crowd from the usual at one of Lee's gigs. And, as you say, an opportunity for more people to come under his spell.

Speaking of which, he has quite a nice mention in this article - "spell-bound" indeed.

GetSurrey

And his photo in the slide show:

photo Lee-WokingGala_zps9a900669.jpg

Thanks for all the reviews everyone & thanks Lin for posting that great photo.