​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Cliffs Pavilion Southend Concert.

It is almost time for Lee's home town concert
who is going to this one?
It should be a lot of fun & hopefully we will get some reviews posted on here for the fans that can't make it.

Re: The Cliffs Pavilion Southend Concert.

I would love to but I have to be patient and wait for December
for Lee's West End concert at the Garrick, so looking forward to it.

Hope the lovely people that are going to the Cliffs post reviews
and photos, as always.

Looking forward to this weekend so much.

Hope everyone going to Southend has a fantastic time.
I'm sure it'll be a special evening.
Well, even more special than usual!

Tring to stay positive about this one. nothing but hassle this week even the train ticket went wrong have to go to Reading yet again to change it !! Looks like I am on my own for this one as well so be gratefull if anyone says hello. To be honest it it was not for the fact that I have paid Hotel ect and I have never been to "Southend" feel inclined to give it a miss. Still at least there is still Lee. !!

Maggie, Lee will make it all better.

I love the Cliffs Pavilion and it makes it even more special being
Lee's home town. Just sit back and enjoy Maggie.

I am normally always on my own but I always enjoy watching Lee
live on stage.

While we're waiting for news, Penni Bubb chose the winning raffle ticket tonight at the concert interval. Winner announcement is on the website home page.

Apparently there was an additional very special guest tonight - Rhydian sang Anthem with Lee!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Oooh, that sounds fab! Can't wait to hear about it!

Just a couple of SD photos - He looks gorgeous!!!

photo SouthendSD1_zps9c3e2687.jpg

photo SouthendSD2_zps55860676.jpg

And it's official - he signed for another year of Casualty and begins recording his 4th album next week!!!!!

Great photo on the home page - and lots more to come!

Thank you so much for posting these gorgeous photos and also
the absolutely brilliant one on the front page. It sounds as
though it was a fantastic night going by the tweets I have seen.
So pleased for Lee.

Looking forward to more photos and reviews as soon as everyone
have recovered from their travels.

So pleased to hear Lee has signed for another year in Casualty,
thanks for posting the news, it really is appreciated.

There is a lovely photo of Lee with a young lady posted by
Lee's friend @kipps3 who was at the concert.

Could someone do a link to it please, it is worth it.

Excellent! Another year of something worth watching on Saturday nights!

Here it is, maggiemay:

TwitterPhoto

And here's another - no Lee, just Amanda and Stephen, but it's very cool:

Amanda&Stephen

The concert in Southend was everything I'd hoped it would be and more! The hometown gig was always going to be very special. From start to finish it was electric and the combination of guests superb. So many extra extras from Lee ranged from once sweeping that very stage to some extremely funny off stage ad-libing with Stephen. Amanda was lovely as always and sang so beautifully. Such a surprise to see Rhydian and he did the most heartfelt speech about his friendship with Lee after their duet of Anthem, I could see that Lee was quite moved by his lovely words. How lovely of him to share those thoughts with us and Lee. I'm so so glad and I feel very privileged that I was able to go.

Thanks Jazzy for review,I know they were good friends when Lee and DVO lived together they were neighbours of Rhydian

This was my first Lee concert since WEM and it was quite overwhelming to see him live again. He was so happy and excited to be in his home town and there were lots of ad libs and cheeky comments. His voice was fantastic, Pure Imagination and Moon River were very velvety and Bring him Home had me in tears!!
The guests were great although I have to admit I get to see Lee so rarely I am always impatient to see him back on the stage again. His duet with Amanda was beautiful and they are obviously great mates. It was a treat to see Rhydian though, and Anthem was spectacular. It sounds as if he really helped Lee through his tricky times recently.Lee was quite emotional at the end,you could feel the love in the room, if that doesn't sound too cheesy.
On a lighter note, he had on the lovely blue suit with the red lining and it was quite tight on him, he made several jokes about 'sucking it in' and when he sang sitting down he did his jacket up and joked about it not being a pretty sight when his belly was out but he is not overweight at all just not as thin as he was. He said they bring the sandwiches round at five pm on Casualty and he can't resist! I thought he looked fabulous as ever!
I'll stop rambling on now, there is definitely some Mead mushing going on today, how could I have left it so long?!!

Love your Mead-mushing, Clare - and I totally agree with your feeling of just wanting Lee back onstage, even when the guests are wonderful.

More Mead, please.

Thank you, Jazz, for your review and for the lovely photos you have posted on Facebook.

Hopefully we will hear from more who were there . . . when they have recovered a bit.

Thanks ladies for the reviews so far!

Hello everyone,
thanks a million for the reviews of Southend, and the lovely pictures. It means a lot to me, and probably a whole lot other people who were not there. My God, I wish I was. I am glad Lee signed up for one more year already for Casualty. I only started watching it because he is in it, but hey, now I am an addict as well!!
On the 17th of October I celebrate my birthday, and people ask me what I would like to have... I say, a tweet from Mead....hahahahahahahah
Here in Belgium nobody knows whom I am talking about...shame shame shame.
Greetings to all of you from Belgium,
Leen (pronounced Lane)

A few stage door photos. Credit Jazzylou.

photo SAM_20092_zps11d79130.jpg

photo SAM_20102_zpsa5cf8ccf.jpg

photo SAM_20132_zpsf7333a57.jpg

photo SAM_20142_zps8ee4b11b.jpg

photo SAM_20272_zps75ecef4e.jpg

photo SAM_1969_zps9f58457a.jpg

The best stage photos are on the timeline. I can't and don't need to compete.

Gorgeous Jazzylou, thank you

OMG!!! Gorgeous!!

Love the one where he's bursting his buttons . . .

Thank you, Jazz!

thank you for news and the fabbest set of photos.

Thank you for the news and fabbest set of photos.

Thanks for news and fabbest set of photos.

Thanks for your reviews Clare & Jazzy & thanks for those photos as well. They're gorgeous!!!

Please can anyone who went to concert tell me how Lee and Rhydian sang Anthem did they sing it together right through or did they take turns to sing parts then join in together?only with not being there I am trying to imagine what it would sound like? probably awesome!!!

Thanks Jazzy and Clare for your lovely reviews and, Jazzy, those photos are stunning . (Lee always makes me laugh when he says he's putting on weight, there's not an ounce of fat on him. Yes, he lost weight when he was desperately unhappy, but to me he looks to be back to the size he was before). I can't really add a lot to what you have both said about the concert and it was indeed a fabulous evening. Even though the set list of songs on Lee's current tour are obviously the same, each time his interpretation is slightly different, wow, does that guy put you through the wringer, from tears to laughter and sheer joy at his obvious enjoyment at performing. He was so emotional at the end wasn't he at the reception he got from the audience and I loved how his guests and the band stood back and looked so pleased for him. I can't recall exactly what Rhydian said but it was to the effect that Lee was multi-talented, and that he doesn't know how he fits in acting during the week, doing concerts and putting together another Album, particularly with the hard time he's had recently. Rhydian said he couldn't do it. He also said Lee was a wonderful Daddy. On that note, just before Lee sang 'Here Comes the Sun' which he always dedicates to Betsy 'because she's my sunshine' he said she was getting ready for bed the night before and was brushing her teeth and asked Lee 'am I doing it right Daddy', Lee just said one word 'Melt'

Yes, Acer you're right, Lee and Rhydian took turns at singing Anthem and then they sang together for the last part. It was brilliant.

AnnieB, thank you for your review and that lovely insight into
Rhydian's comments about Lee and also the lovely comment Lee shared
about Betsy, Lee is such a private person when it comes to Betsy so
it is special when he shares little comments like that.

You're welcome maggiemay, Lee is indeed a great Daddy

Thank you for the fabulous photos, ladies.

One thing I can add is a bit naughty! Lee told the story of his first day on set, which I think he said was during his guest episode, not as Lofty, when he was very nervous and had to do his first scene with Charlie. I'm trying to think of a polite way to put this - let's say, Charlie went 'parp' (if you get my drift ... )! This was a funny story in itself, but then Lee launched into Singing in the Rain, complete with trombone backing which perfectly imitated the imagined sound. We were absolutely hysterical with laughter, and I think Lee realised what was going on, but carried on like the trouper he is.

We were sat quite near to you Another Liz and we could see you all giggling away! It was really funny and Lee was definitely trying hard to keep it together.

This is a pic of Lee just after Rydians speech

photo LeeSouthendjoan.jpg

That really is a great photo of Lee with the raised arm Joan. Jazzy, your pics are fantastic, thank you.

It was an amazing concert. Lee said he was very nervous, I suppose you would be in front of the home crowd. I overheard one conversation during the interval praising Lee's talents, and saying what a truly talented and wonderful man he was. I think they may have been local people being proud of their local boy made good.

I can't add much to the reviews already posted just to say that we wondered what was going on when Lee and Stephen took their mics with them when they went off stage after singing Luck be a Lady. Their ad lib conversation went something along the lines of:-

Lee: Thanks for coming dude, great singing.
Stephen: It was great. What's that down there?
Giggles.
Lee: What, down where?
Stephen: That... down there.
Lee: Oh that (giggle).
More giggles.

Then Lee came on with a stethoscope around his neck and sang Kiss. I can't be sure of their exact words off stage because they, and the audience were laughing so much.

The bit about Charlie and the 'parp' was funny.

Thanks everyone for your reviews and gorgeous photos.
Loved the 'Charlie parp' story too...

I cannot add very much to what has been said already, except that after a heartfelt standing ovation at the end of the concert, seeing Lee with his head on the microphone (captured beautifully in Joan's Photo) was a real emotional moment, not only for Lee, but for the audience too.
A moment so special, I know it will remain in many memories for ever...
What a performer, and what a gorgeous guy.
A wonderful, wonderful concert.
Thanks Lee. Thanks to all your lovely guests, and band too.

Blimey, those pics are simply stunning. Thank you Jazzy.

I can't add much to what has already been said in all the lovely reviews but must say that this concert stood out for me because of the palpable emotion. This was obviously a very important venue for Lee and it showed so much. From his yell "Hello Southend" as he first came on stage, to his bowed head on the mic and raised arm at the end. We could clearly see his tear filled eyes as he finally lifted his head after what felt like ages but was probably only a few moments.
He said a couple of times in the first half that he was very nervous but as he settled he then said something like " I'm ok now". As he said this he sort of shook and jiggled his arms and legs about as though he was relaxing his whole body.
I don't think anyone who was there on Sunday night will ever forget the duet with Rhyddian. It was SO beautiful. Their voices blended perfectly and when they joined together for the final thunderous lines it was just so spell binding. I really couldn't get my breath.
He told us some performers won't invite guests they fear would outshine them. He said he didn't care about that and just wanted to include everyone, regardless of them out singing him. Bless him, he still really doesn't see that his talent always shines through above anyone.
Rhyddian was amazing, I've never seen him live before and was blown away with his beautiful voice but oh boy, Lee was AMAZING too !!! No way will he ever be put in the shade by anyone. It just goes to show how humble he still is.

It was lovely to see a big family turn out of course. As we walked into the foyer our hearts skipped a beat as we thought Lee was standing there. Nope, it was Casey, haha. Gosh, he looks so like his brother, just slightly shorter.

Sorry Clare that we disgraced ourselves during Singing In The Rain. Coming immediately after the "Charlie" story the trombone made the identical noise, not once but all through the song, as A/Liz has said. Once we had started giggling we reverted to teenage school girl mode and couldn't stop. I felt hot with panic that we might get chucked out and be made to stand outside the headmasters door, lol. Naughty ladies going on 14 years old

It was great to see Kirsten and Karen there. Sorry I didn't get to say hello to you both. As always, there is never enough time to chat to everybody.
We must encourage Lee to do a concert where we could operate a "lock in" policy and spend a whole week catching up with everyone. On second thoughts, we would just stand gazing at our man as usual and still bemoan we hadn't spoken to everyone

Must just finally mention the opening and closing music which is becoming such a joy. It buzzes round your head for days afterwards and on Sunday we nearly had a dance off going on, as we bopped our way out of the theatre to the beat.

My goodness! That was something special! Nothing could have prepared me for the wonderful concert at Southend Cliffs Pavilion.
I went with my daughter and her friend (a first timer) After picking up 2 of the tickets from the box office,( and bumpin g in to familiar faces outside!) , we headed right to the other end of Southend for a meal at Ocean View. Lovely meal watching the sunset then back to the Cliffs.
For those who were’t there, the place is huge and, as its name suggests, is set up high from the sea and road below. We parked at the bottom and walked up. The place was heaving. I quickly found people to chat to and it was soon time to take our seats.

It has been a long time since Guildford so I had mega butterflies waiting for the show to start. On he came to what must have been overwhelming applause from Lee’s perspective. It took ages to stop and I felt so chuffed for him. It was touch and go whether the clapping would stop in time for the start of Pure Imagination!
I felt Lee’s voice was particularly strong right through the concert. He was extremely chatty and obviously enjoying himself although he still confessed to being nervous.
As usual, there were many memorable moments. I think most have been mentioned already but all the anecdotes were amusing. I especially loved hearing about Lee’s work experience at the Cliffs all those years ago when he was 14 or 15. He said that he had been thrilled to be working in the theatre even if it was doing menial tasks like sweeping the stage. He explained how he had gone to ask Joe Pasquale (appearing at the theatre at the time) for some tips for how to succeed in show business and how terrified he had been to speak to him. He did say that Joe had actually recognised him many years later which was really sweet.
I thought Lee and Amanda singing their duet was the best I have heard it. My daughter and her friend were amazed at how good Amanda was.
The last time I saw Stephen, he was in Rock of Ages. I couldn’t stop smiling thinking back to that as to say I saw a different side to him is an understatement!
Rhydian coming on was such a surprise and their performance of Anthem brought the house down….massive standing ovation at the end of it. I found Rhydian’s little complimentary speech about Lee so touching. What a special moment. Another one was the moment shown in the picture above when Lee stood with head bowed at the microphone just taking the whole thing in because the whole evening had been an absolute triumph.
Afterwards I cheekily asked if my daughter’s friend would mind waiting at the stage door. It was a yes, so we waited. I felt really guilty as Lee was an age coming out. But who could blame him with family and friends to see and needing to recover from such a wonderful performance. There was a large crowd. My daughter turned the corner and said “OMG, it’s just like Joseph all over again!”
I took a couple of over the heads blurry photos. Only one is worthy of sharing I am afraid. I just quickly said a thank you to Lee. Seemed inappropriate to take up too much of his time.
One lovely thing was there was a little Italian lady who spoke to Lee just before me who said she remembered him coming to their Ice Cream shop as a boy. She said her husband always liked him as he was so polite compared with all the other lads and they had always remembered him. How sweet and how utterly believable.
The Lee first timer was extremely impressed by the way.
What an amazing, emotional evening!
(As usual, apologies for rambling on!)

photo 99e62849-9903-415d-8c1c-1853b1c98829.jpg

More photos have been posted on the home page. Gorgeous!

And I love all the reviews. Getting excited for Wycombe . . .

Whoops my picture seems to have vanished! I will try to post it again.

Here goes
 photo fef73ac8-b46e-4eb8-897b-f322b3f48e3b.jpg

No disgrace whatsoever Sue C! It was lovely to see you all giggling away xx

Phew, That's a relief Clare . We'd hate to lower the tone so to speak.

Cassie, thanks for that pic. I've gone hot all over again but not with panic.....

Thanks everyone for such lovely reviews.

Cassie I love the story about the ice cream lady.

The review about Lee sweeping the stage doing work experience and talking to Joe Pasquali reminded me of the quote he gave.

He asked Joe's advice and Joe simply said: Work your butt off and never look back.
Lee said they were wise words which he has often used for himself.

The opening and closing music if anyone is interested comes from the Isles of Wonder CD, the music for the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics. Its track 14 on the first disc and the title is Caliban's Dream performed by Underworld featuring several listed artists.
The whole CD is wonderful and I love listening to it in the car. Its very emotive in places.

Just one more thing about the concert which I don't think has been mentioned is that half way through the first half, someone from my side shouted 'I love you Lee' then shortly after another voice shouted, 'I love you more!'. Lee did hear them and reacted but I've forgotten what he said.

Thanks Annie B for answering my question,I am sure it sounded fabulous,when Lee sings Anthem I am near to tears and I know Rhydian has a great voice I have heard him live at his concerts, thanks again xx

Thanks to all the lovely people I met on Sunday and it was nice to talk to you for a while, Maggie Ball. Jazzylou, thanks so much for the information about the lovely music before and after the concert.
Most of all thanks to Lee for being such a sweetheart.

Thanks for all the great reviews, ladies!

I wonder if that boy sweeping the stage ever imagined that he'd be perfoming on it one day?

So pleased I decided to go to this gig after all as it was a special night.
From the moment Lee appeared on stage looking stunning in his suit and tie, he held the audience in the palm of his hand.
I am always amazed at his ability to change from chatty (and on this occasion even a bit hyper) to straight stuff such as ’Fix You’ which he sings with so much emotion, after confiding with his audience that this song helped him through a bad year.
He had not two, but three, guests with a surprise appearance from Rhydian who made a touching speech about what a lovely guy Lee is – as if we didn’t know – which had Lee slightly embarrassed and a little tearful.
Stephen was in good form. I love ‘Bridge over Troubled Water’ but am still not keen on ‘Nature Boy’ – as my friends will know.
We had another lovely performance from Amanda. It must be great for her that Lee has joined Casualty. By the way, with his new signing I hope he gets better storylines – how about an affair with Connie?
Not much more to say that has not been already said. I had a lovely evening – thank you Elaine and friends for making me feel so welcome. Even enjoyed an early morning walk along the sea front. This was my first visit to Southend – saw Lee’s famous ice cream parlour and a seal.
It was a very wet journey home that included a long walk in the pouring rain to the Tower of London. I took some more ’poppy’ pics but, as they are almost the same as Margaret’s, I won’t bother to put them on. No pics of Lee this time but managed to have a little chat with him at the stage door, mostly about travel. Looking forward to the next gig now – High Wycombe for me.

Thank you Ladies for your reviews and pics, what a wonderful evening it was, emotional and moving at the end. So good to know Lee has friends around him who love and support him.

Jazzy thank you for the info on the music, the title of which has been evading us all. I am listening to it on Youtube as I type. Love it.