​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wycombe Swan Theatre 12 November

It's TODAY!!!

OK well I actually have to sleep first, but I will see Lee today and I can't wait!!

Hope to see many of you at the concert.

Now I will try to get some sleep.

Re: Wycombe Swan Theatre 12 November

Have a Lovely time.

I am at work this morning. Finding it hard to concentrate (I wonder why?)
I am really looking forward to Wycombe & I hope to see a few familiar faces there

Seems a little strange now to have a mid-week concert! Hope everyone going has a great time - I'm looking forward to the reviews

Keith is tonight's guest isn't he?

Edit: From this tweet from Amanda, it's good to see that she will be there too:

https://twitter.com/AmandaHendrson/status/532527534710087680

Big stage!!!

Lovely photo of Lee at the stage after the concert posted by @joycbennett.
Could you post a link to it please Greycat. Thank you

Hope this is the one you mean Maggiemay

https://twitter.com/joycbennett/status/532667046543523840

Random selection of photos at 2am!
Credit me.
Interesting position of guitar!
 photo SAM_2366_zpsaae52287.jpg

photo SAM_2379_zpsc49f65f7.jpg

photo SAM_23972_zps5d28ac62.jpg

photo SAM_2475_zps49ddeabc.jpg

The new pianist on the end was very good!

Just "home" and will post more later but just wanted to say it was an amazing concert - every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

Thanks for the lovely photos, Jazz.

Thanks for the photos Jazzylou. Look forward to some reviews
when everyone has recovered from their journeys.

So looking forward to Lee's Christmas concert at the Garrick,
not seen him since the Pheasantry gig, it has been far too long.

maggiemay

Thanks for these great photos, it was a good trip to High Wycombe altogether. Lovely to meet everybody again, and to meet Lin for the first time. Sorry I was a bit rattled in the interval, but to have my view partially blocked because two rude people who wanted to chat, was irritating, as was their lame and untruthful response that they were 'only talking during the applause'. First of all, watching a performer's reaction to the applause is part of the show. And second, they were chatting during Keith and Amanda's performances too. Finally.... what was so important that couldn't wait till the interval? To be fair they did behave in the second act, it's just annoying that they had to be told at all.

As for Lee, stunning performance, he sounded a little husky at times but it didn't spoil anything for me and his giggly moments had me in stitches. Didn't like Amanda's performance of 'Over the Rainbow' as I'm not a fan of 'beggaring about with the tune' but her 'As long as he needs me' was wonderful. She's so pretty in real life too.
Finally, my friends will know what I mean here, I must get a slidey phone instead of that old one I have!

How to describe last Wednesday at the Wycombe Swan Theatre . . . superlatives just don’t do it justice. I won’t be able to correctly post the playlist – suffice to say it was a bit different from previous concerts, but very effective. And it included ‘Anthem’, which Lee performs better than anyone else, IMO. ‘Father and Son’ is my personal favourite. (I think. That keeps changing as I love everything he does and after each song I think to myself that it was my favourite.)

But let’s get to the more important parts . . . Lee’s parts. (*snicker*). He did look amazingly GORGEOUS and was in really great voice. I didn’t catch the huskiness, Tanith, but I was in a bit of a Mead-mushed daze which probably affected my hearing. It certainly did not affect my sight.
*ahem*

I got the feeling from the very beginning that Lee was in a really good mood – that he was relaxed and happy to be there and looking forward to performing for us. It was not a full-house, but he definitely gave us a “full-house” performance. Lots of dancing bits during ‘Dancing Through Life’, including a bit of tush-wiggle that was well-appreciated.

And I will say that ‘Kiss’ was the best I have ever seen it. Soooooo HOT!!! I really did melt in my seat.

Lee’s confidence level has just risen through the roof – without any ****iness. He remains genuinely humble – I love his speech about coming from a working class family and knowing the value of money and appreciating that we spend our hard-earned funds to see him in concert. I find it refreshingly honest and humble that he dwells a bit on that. It shows true appreciation, and the quality of the man, doesn’t it?

I have to say a bit about Amanda. She is truly lovely and has a beautiful voice. I agree that she “pla***” with the arrangement of ‘Over the Rainbow’, but it didn’t bother me as most performers do something similar with that song. She not only has a great voice, she sings the meaning of the words as well, just as Lee does. And I did not think the meaning of OTR was lost in the arrangement, which is a deciding factor for me.

I think it’s lovely that Lee has brought her along and encouraged her to expand a bit with each performance. This time, she spoke off-the-cuff and said that Lee has told her she needs to do a bit more of that. I know it’s very difficult for an actor to appear onstage as simply themselves – singing the song, they can be the character of the song, but standing there, accepting the applause, and chatting with the audience as just themselves is very intimidating. It takes time and experience to appear relaxed, but not too relaxed. Lee is giving her the opportunity to do that and it speaks volumes about him.

Stagedoor was a bit crazy because a very large man came out and said Lee had to leave for Cardiff and would only have 10 minutes. It was very kind of those fans who are able to see him more frequently to make way for those of us who cannot. I realize how precious that time is to all of us, no matter how many times we have seen him in the past. It’s never enough, is it?

But Lee is so gracious and takes his time – he really makes you feel you are the only person waiting there for him. Those kind of “people skills” are quite rare.

I know there is much more to say (and I do run on) but the most important thing is: Let’s do it again in Clacton!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!

Thanks ladies for your lovely reviews much appreciated when you can't get there

Fab reviews, ladies!

I love reading everyone's reviews & I know that these reviews & photo's mean a lot to those fans that can not travel to see Lee.
Midweek gigs are especially difficult to get to but somehow Lee fans always pull out all the stops & once again he had fantastic support.
I had never been to High Wycombe's Swan before but I really was impressed.
(Nothing to do with the wine I had with my meal before the show)

I always get a warm welcoming feeling when I hear those first few bars of "Pure Imagination". It really does feel as if he is welcoming us into his world.
The first 4 or5? songs flew past as I was drinking in every precious moment.
A true delight for both sound & vision. Then we had Keith Jack singing "My Girl" & another song that I just can't remember right now.
After that Lee bounced on stage singing "Kiss" the fan sitting next to me melted into a puddle of Meadmush delight
Hallelujah was just perfection & before we knew it the first half was over & done.
I chatted to a very shy young man during the interval. He had not seen Lee before but told us that he was loving it especially CED which was the last song of part one.

Part 2 had a "wicked" start with DTL & ALAYM. I love it when he does those Wicked moves.
Crazy little thing always brings a smile to my face. I never tire of seeing & hearing him sing that.

I didn't take pics during the show but I was naughty & took this one of the final line up.

photo WycombeStage.jpg

A Big Thank you to you all for posting your lovely reviews and photos.
It really is appreciated.

I am so looking forward to seeing Lee at the Garrick for his Christmas
concert, it has been far too long for me to wait to see Lee again on
the stage. In the past I have managed to go to most things, so thank you
all once again.

maggiemay

I think a few of us on the front row melted at Kiss too

I will try to do a review later, I was so tired yesterday as I couldn't sleep when I got back from the gig on Weds night. I should get time later hopefully. Good to read reviews so far of how everyone enjo*** it.

I saw a couple of tweets to Lee after the concert saying
something like "has the baby been delivered yet"and one from
Keith Jack to Lee saying keep away from the pillow, obviously
very much tongue in cheek tweets. Does anyone who
was there know what they referred to.

I know what the reference to the pillow is, Maggiemay. Apparently, when Amanda drove Lee back to Cardiff on a previous occasion, he fell asleep and dribbled on her Audrey Hepburn pillow/cushion! I can't remember who told the story, whether it was Amanda or Keith, but it was very funny!

I think the High Wycombe concert was one of the best of this series. Lee was on brilliant form, and I liked the rearrangement of the running order. 'Close Every Door' worked beautifully as an end to the first half.

We didn't join the queue to see Lee afterwards, but hovered just outside to "admire the view" (and a very nice view it was, too ) . While we waited, we had a long chat to Keith, who really is a lovely young man, and very funny. He hopes to come to the Garrick to see Lee, if he can get away from panto rehearsals (in Horsham) in time.

Had been looking forward to High Wycombe
A. Because it is so near to home only about 35mins so no rush afterwards
B. My son is working as a techie here at the moment so hoped to leard a bit of "backstage" This unfortunatly did not happen as his new baby was due the day before and had not arrived (still waiting !!!)

However it was a super concert with Lee at his bubbly best, he seems to have developed a lovely friend in Amanda. She must be thrilled with being able to sing again and even to "talk" as she confided that Lee had encouraged her to . What a lovely unselfish guy he is. Always so condiderate to his fellow performers and apreciative to his audience (dont worry Lee we all regard it as money well spent,)

Loved the slightly new order of things, "Fix You" is a favourite of mine he is fast making "Bring him home" his own. I also love Some Enchanted Evening I think these slow romantic ballads suit him.
He told a story about his late grandmother sying she looked like Audrey Hepburn so good looks must run in the family !
Stage door ( arather difficult one at the Swan we were told he had about ten minutes but he his usual smily self and must have taken much longer.
Managed to have a word with Amanda who said she loves working with him (Well!!!!!!) Must just say did not care a lot for her "Somewhere over The Rainbow" in fact wondered if she had lost her way a bit. But het "As long as he needs me" was brilliant.
Did manage a couple of good pics but as they have members in them will leave it up to them if they want to put them on

Thanks for the explanation regarding the pillow Another Liz, naughty
Lee dribbling on Audrey Hepburn. Does anyone remember what the reference
was about the baby, was it anything to do with Casualty.

Thanks for your lovely review Maggie, pleased you had a good time
it must be lovely having a Lee concert so close to home. Hope we get
to see your photos.

maggiemay

Hi ladies

I missed Aberwotsit on Sunday Nov 2nd. Not much keeps me away from his concerts but I had to cry off on this one as our little granddaughter was born at 4.40pm that day. It didn't give me enough time to pack her and Bubs1 into the car and cross the country for his 7.30 start. What a shame. Gladys will feel very sad when she realises in years to come that she missed out by the timing of her entrance that day
Her parents have given her a beautiful name but I still think of her as Gladys

Wycombe was FANTASTIC. How is it possible that he looks better and better each time. I always thought you couldn't improve on perfection ???
I too enjo*** the slight changes to the set list. I found myself wondering where certain songs were and hoping he would put them in later which, with the exception of Sunshine, he did. BHH was exceptional. I know we always say that but there was something special about it on Sunday. Along with the audience he was openly in tears at the end and as he wiped them away he said "I can't see".
I think it was at the end of Kiss that he spun round and knocked the Mic stand flying. Sorry if this has been mentioned in the other lovely reviews but it made us all laugh so much. He sheepishly looked at us all and said "that wasn't supposed to happen". We were all roaring with laughter. He then bent down and picked it all up which caused a few of us to catch our breath somewhat.....if you know what I mean.
He told us that he had a few friends in that night, including the director of Cas, I think he said Matt ?? He told us that Matt hadn't realised he could sing !!. Blimey, after BHH he sure does know now.
As A/Liz has said, a lot of us regulars held back at the SD to let the locals have time with him and we really enjo*** chatting to Keith. What a lovely guy he is. Each time we get to talk to him I always feel guilty for not liking him on ADWD and praying for him not to win.

It was lovely to see everyone. Great to see Amanda from Holland and lovely Lin of course. Worth crossing the pond for eh Lin, haha. It was also really great to see Kirsten and Karen. Sorry if I bored everyone with my pics of my new little one.
Can't believe we get to do it all again on Sunday.
Maggie May, not long now to the Garrick. You must be so excited

Thanks for the lovely review SueC. Yes I am really looking forward
to the Christmas concert and seeing Lee on stage again it has been far too
long.

Congratulations on the new arrival, lovely early Christmas present.

Great review Sue, the photos of the baby weren't boring, they were lovely. Again, sorry my own review started so grumpily.

I was thrilled and delighted to find there was to be a Lee gig at a theatre I visit regularly. When we arrived, it almost felt like cheating. Where was the stressful journey? Where was the worry about finding a car park? No probs. We pretty much floated there (and back obviously!!)
Lovely to chat to lots of regulars before the show. That always makes the evening extra special for me.
Thanks to a kind friend, we had front row seats. Breathtaking view. Lee appeared in the wings then seemed to change his mind about where to come on and headed further back to make his entrance. Pure Imagination was sung beautifully as always but what was this….straight into the chat?? No CED? Just a change of order, not a Meady memory failure we were to discover.
Lee always makes me laugh. He started with “Hi Wycombe!! I’ve always wanted to say that!” Silly but when he giggles, you can’t help but join in.
Kiss was extra special I thought with added growly moments. Phew! The microphone stand went flying at some point. It is a long time since we have had that. It is the way he deals with these little incidents that is so endearing and amusing.
Keith sang well but for me, lacks the emotion and range of styles that Lee achieves.
Is it just me or did anyone else hear the first line of Home and immediately think “Oh yes…Winner’s Story” and then on hearing This is the Moment, think “Lee’s audition for Potters”. I find I am like that with all music with a Lee connection.
Amanda sang beautifully and I loved the way Lee had encouraged her to chat a bit after her song. Lee managed to lose it for a bit in ALAYM and they both had to spend parts of the song looking away from each other to keep their composure.
Another amusing moment happened when Lee was talking about playing Birmingham Symphony Hall. He turned to Mason and said something like “It was a great place to play”. Mason was busy in a world of his own tuning his guitar. Lee pretending to be exasperated repeated what he had said and Mason said it was “A lovely room” to which Lee said “ROOM! It’s a b….y HALL!”
All too soon the concert was over and we mose*** on out to the stage door, which is down a strange tunnel lit up with blue lights. Quite pleasant but not a great deal of room. Had a nice chat to Amanda who was really lovely.I took a few pics of Lee from a long way away and just as I got close to Lee, my camera batteries ran out. Typical! Maggie saved the day and took a photo for me after a few funny moments deciding who was going to be first. After being told that he would only spend 10 minutes at the stage door, Lee seemed relaxed and happy to chat and have photos done. He is so kind when he has that long journey back to Cardiff.
Shame I can’t make tonight but Wednesday will have to keep me going until The Garrick in December.
Blurry pic alert...
 photo 3a415081-0ffe-4786-8742-32d22ac976aa.jpg

More lovely reviews, thanks Cassie and SueC :)

Cassie I enjo y e d sharing that knowing look with you for those opening moments of Keith's songs! I loved the mic flying and I had forgotten that little wings glimpse just before he came on, hehe.

Well here's my review too. Sorry if it repeats some things already said but I don't think that matters.

On a damp Sunday afternoon when I wish I was in Clacton, I finally get time to write a review, hopefully it will help to perk me up. Thanks to everyone who has put theirs on, it great to read everyone’s take on the day.
I drove with Amanda (from Holland, I don’t think she will mind me identifying her). It was so enjoyable having a friend to chat to on the journey and someone to share the worry of taking the right entrance or exit on the motorway LOL. The journey was pretty good apart from slow traffic before the junction where we had to exit. We had a lovely catch up.

Arriving in High Wycombe we parked the car and set off to look for the town centre. We couldn’t resist walking round the back of the theatre (which was en route) to see if there was anything happening. The back door was open and the whole of the stage was visible so we could see them setting up which was nice but we only stay ed briefly though as we didn’t want to get told off. It was nice to catch a lovely snippet of Caliban’s Dream, the intro song to the concert which was made us feel even more excited. We found a cosy coffee shop and had a good chat about all things Lee 
Into the theatre, it was nice to share a meal with the LMAS team, thanks ladies, I hope you enjo y e d it too.

Front row just left of centre was a fabulous seat to sit in, Lee was very close and at times came right out to the edge of the stage in front of the mic stand so he was only about a meter away from me. I’m sure you can appreciate what effect that has!!! By the end of the first half I was so high and hot that I had to get some fresh air!!! Kiss had rather a funny effect on me as there were parts of it that were much “sexier” (there is no other word I can use, sorry if it offends anyone) than usual! It was a fun song with a lot of play added. I do wonder if it’s the absence of parents that makes that song better sometimes!

Following is a brief review that I did for a friend the night I got back so it’s in the present tense. I thought it would be nice to put how I felt after being there. It’s been edited to make it more suitable for the forum as quite a bit of it wasn’t printable ;) Sorry about the random jumble of the order.

“He was talking to Mason tonight about the Symphony Hall B’ham gig and Mason said that it was an interesting room and Lee replied, "a room? it was a bloody hall!!" He also sat at the empty keyboard at one point and pla y e d 1 note and laughed saying how many instruments that mason could play, putting him to shame.
It was a really good gig tonight, Amanda was amazing, two solos and the duet. Lee had changed round the songs a bit and did CED at the end of the first half instead of Here comes the Sun. One of the Casualty producers was in the audience and Lee said that he had never heard him sing properly on stage before so it was nice for him to be there. Apparently he lived in High Wycombe. Lee did a shout out to Amanda and was surprised when he saw us signalling that she was next to me in the front row. (I still don’t know who tweeted that she was there) He also mentioned about someone coming down from Halifax (not naming names) who was also in the front row.
Amanda said that she drove him back to Cardiff last time and he fell asleep and dribbled all over her pillow. Every one creased up laughing, he wasn't on stage at the point and didn't comment when he came back on.
It was a lot of fun tonight and absolutely horrendously hot in the front row.”
“Oh and he actually cried singing Bring Him Home. He had to turn around and wipe the tears from his eyes before he could carry on. He was looking down while the applause was high and you could see he was trying to recover. He commented saying he couldn't see. Was amazing”.
“I'd almost go as far as to say I enjo y e d it more than Southend but maybe my memory of that is already partly erased”.

I think a few of you had those thoughts about Wycombe v Southend, reading back. I love that every single concert is different in so many ways. He had a longer chat after the first song (Pure Imagination) and went straight into Singing in the rain so it was clear that he had changed the order. I really liked having Close Every Door at the end of the first half.
Amanda is definitely growing in confidence and obviously really enjoys singing with him (who wouldn’t!). It was nice to hear her say a few words.
Keith was lovely too, very generous with his kind words for Lee and has also had a good time singing on the tour.
After the show I also sta y e d out of the main scrum so that others could have a chance to see him. Near to the end though I found myself pulled into taking a photo for someone so I did get the chance to say just a brief “Nice to see you Lee” to which he replied, “Thank you for coming”, with a wink. I was very satisfied by that little encounter, sometimes less is definitely more!

So sad to see that Stephen won’t be at Clacton tonight. I hope Amanda will be singing and help with an extra song. I will be interested to hear what happens.

(Edit: Bravenet doesn't seem to like us enj o y ing ourselves, it stars the combination of y e d every time, strange!)

Just a few more photos for those that can't get to Clacton this afternoon xx

Theatre entrance
 photo SAM_2353_zpsd19988fd.jpg

The blue Stage door tunnel

photo SAM_2354_zps9b594680.jpg

photo SAM_2479_zpse6441ab4.jpg

photo SAM_2460_zps3132c895.jpg

And so to the Garrick……

Thanks for those very enjoyable reviews and as for those photos.... wonderful! I just gave Lee a wave this time as I'd managed to speak to him at Southend. It's just nice to see him at the stage door because 'casual Lee' is different from 'on stage Lee' and equally gorgeous.

Thanks for all your fantastic reviews & photos everyone.

Thanks everyone for the Fabulous reviews and pics. All sounds amazing!

Just catching up this morning and saw your review and photos, Jazz - love them all. Thank you for posting the ones of the theatre. It was wonderful meeting up with you and Amanda.

I had totally forgotten the bit when he sat down at the keyboard - said "I don't play" and giggled. I love that he now feels comfortable enough to "wing it" on stage. He has definitely gained confidence over the last year. Seems to have begun when he did that series of concerts at the Pheasantry, doesn't it?

High Wycombe was the first time the entire LMAS team has been together since beginning this website "adventure". It was great fun and I will post a blog about that later this week.

XO

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about being so angry about the two girls talking during this concert, having seen the bad luck people have had with their seats being moved for the Christmas show. I think my 'keep your mouth shut while a performance is on' attitude stems from what we were taught at school, if we so much as turned round during a show that we were taken to as part of the school drama classes, we could expect a detention the night after.

Looking back, I really had a really bad case of 'Theatre Rage'. I'll be less of a dragon at the Garrick and hope everybody who's been moved gets a decent seat.